Painting a vinyl figure

Painting a vinyl figure

February 21st, 2010, 5:59 am #1

What is the best paint to use for a vinyl figure. I tried some Tamiya lacquer and it doesn't seem to be drying.

February 21st, 2010, 2:39 pm #2

You need to use acrylic paints ONLY! Anything else leeches the oils out of the vinyl
and your model will not dry! I use Apple Barrel Colors by Plaid. They're craft paints available at Michael's and A.C. Moore. Be careful as they airbrush well, but some of the light colors don't cover as well in one coat. As long as they're acrylic paints, you shouldn't have any problems. You can also speed dry acrylics and keep right on painting. Testors Dull Cote works fine over Apple Barrel paints.

By April, my latest DVD, "Figure Model Airbrushing" will be available for $35.00 ppd.

Happy Painting!
Phil Lister

February 21st, 2010, 8:21 pm #3

Thanks I will give it a try. I am new to figure painting

Thanks again for your help.

March 8th, 2010, 3:58 pm #4

You need to use acrylic paints ONLY! Anything else leeches the oils out of the vinyl
and your model will not dry! I use Apple Barrel Colors by Plaid. They're craft paints available at Michael's and A.C. Moore. Be careful as they airbrush well, but some of the light colors don't cover as well in one coat. As long as they're acrylic paints, you shouldn't have any problems. You can also speed dry acrylics and keep right on painting. Testors Dull Cote works fine over Apple Barrel paints.

By April, my latest DVD, "Figure Model Airbrushing" will be available for $35.00 ppd.

Happy Painting!
Phil Lister
I am thinking of the old MARX 6 inch high flexible figures. I do not know if these are made of vinyl or a cheaper plastic.
Have you had any experience with paint flaking off of flexible figures? Any suggestions, besides do not handle them?
Also, how will you announce the issuing of your CD on figure painting? I am interested.
Thank you,
Stephen

March 8th, 2010, 4:26 pm #5

I'm not sure about those old Marx figures. I've never tried to flex any vinyl models before.
My DVD "Figure Model Airbrushing" will be out by April 20th of this year. I'm currently working on it now and I'll announce it as soon as it's ready. I have a web site in the works and hopefully a shopping cart system in place for buying it and the other videos comming soon.

Some other video coming are:
Buildings Models for Beginners
Scale Model Photography
Figure Model Dioramas

Phil

June 16th, 2010, 8:24 am #6

What is the best paint to use for a vinyl figure. I tried some Tamiya lacquer and it doesn't seem to be drying.
Painted lots of vinyl figures from the Marx figures right up to quarter scale.
Just prime the figure with auto primer or tamiya fine primer and paint with whatever you want i use acrylic but have used enamels and use oils for faces.
Only kit i ever had a problem with was a sevens Captain Scarlet still tacky jacket 17 years later.