Paint a checkered nose

Paint a checkered nose

April 20th, 2017, 12:33 pm #1

Hi Folks,

I`m going to build a FW 190 with a checkered nose. I think it would look much better to paint the nose instead of using the decals. But painting might be quiet challenging. Are there any tutorials for an easy way to paint the black and white nose?

Thanks a lot
Ralf

April 20th, 2017, 12:55 pm #2

The squares are not all equal. I would paint the White and apply the decals. If you insist on painting the Black squares, I would mimick the decals, transferring their shapes to Kabuki tape (in negative!) Sure the decals would be so much for the worse?

Fernando

April 20th, 2017, 2:55 pm #3

Hi Folks,

I`m going to build a FW 190 with a checkered nose. I think it would look much better to paint the nose instead of using the decals. But painting might be quiet challenging. Are there any tutorials for an easy way to paint the black and white nose?

Thanks a lot
Ralf
I would decal as best as possible, then use painting as a touch-up

April 20th, 2017, 3:05 pm #4

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot
Ralf
Don't take a chance. Use the decal. NT

April 20th, 2017, 3:36 pm #5

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot
Ralf
Yes Sir, there is a book with a tutorial on the painting of the Fw 190 nose. Although out of stock at the publisher, you can maybe find it via the "Amazon" site or somewhere on the web. Details:

FW 190 SUPER-DETAILED (GB)
Ref: HIS0200
ISBN : 2-915239-58-4
Format : 20 X 24
Number of pages : 84
Number of pictures : 150
Language : English

As reference, cost is (was…) around 7,50 €

Regards

April 20th, 2017, 3:39 pm #6

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot
Ralf
Seems as if the decals are the better way. I`ll give it a try.

Cheers
Ralf

April 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm #7

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot
Ralf
Bob Steinbrunn did a nice article on using a black ink pen to draw in the checks over a white base coat on a P-47D. What was really helpful was the drafting tricks he used to ensure that the checks were proportional as the nose got smaller from the rear by the cowl flaps to the front of the cowl ring.

Cameron

April 20th, 2017, 9:49 pm #8

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot
Ralf
I painted the chequered nose on my Hasegawa 1/32 P47 "Eileen" as I wasn't happy with the decal result.It wasn't easy but the final result was worth it.What I did was paint the cowling white then used a photocopy of the decal sheet to get the size of the squares and cut negative masks from Tamiya tape.I did one vertical row at a time and painted that ,let it dry and then did the next. Time consuming but a worthwhile final result.HTH.

April 21st, 2017, 12:53 am #9

Bob Steinbrunn did a nice article on using a black ink pen to draw in the checks over a white base coat on a P-47D. What was really helpful was the drafting tricks he used to ensure that the checks were proportional as the nose got smaller from the rear by the cowl flaps to the front of the cowl ring.

Cameron
... the source. Far superior to decals as there are no misfitted squares to bodge into shape.

It was one of the first jobs I tried with my then brand new set of Staedtler drafting pens, and I think I still have an unpainted 1/72 P-47D with a neatly checkered cowling somewhere.