P-51D decal accuracy

P-51D decal accuracy

July 1st, 2012, 6:33 pm #1

Thinking of finishing my Tamiya kit in the following:

"Jaspers Joker II" 361st FG
"Cripes A' Mighty" 352nd FG
"Moonbeam McSwine" 352nd FG

Aeromaster printed the first in their "Yellow-nosed Mustangs" sheet, EagleCals & Superscale did Preddy's and Superscale did a separate sheet recently for "Moonbeam". Can anyone comment as to the accuracy of these sheets? Any help/opinions are greatly appreciated...

Best regards,

Michael

July 1st, 2012, 7:25 pm #2

Hi Michael,

At the moment I am 90% there with doing the 1/32 Tamiya kit as "Cripes a Mighty" using the EAGLECALS set (EC#100)and it looks to be about the most accurate available for this specific bird. It's not cheap but it's a quality product. Comparing it to the "Eaglestrike" interpretation of Preddy's machine, the Eaglecals set appears to be a far superior option.

I hope this helps you re. Preddy's aircraft and perhaps others can advise on the other 2 options you mention.

Cheers!
Gary

July 1st, 2012, 9:04 pm #3

"Cripes A'Mighty 3rd" by Eaglecals is the way to go.
I think that both the Aeromaster and Zotz offerings for "Jasper Joker II" have issues.
I've not seen the Superscale "Moonbeam McSwine".

Christian A.
Christian A.

July 1st, 2012, 9:30 pm #4

Hi Michael,

At the moment I am 90% there with doing the 1/32 Tamiya kit as "Cripes a Mighty" using the EAGLECALS set (EC#100)and it looks to be about the most accurate available for this specific bird. It's not cheap but it's a quality product. Comparing it to the "Eaglestrike" interpretation of Preddy's machine, the Eaglecals set appears to be a far superior option.

I hope this helps you re. Preddy's aircraft and perhaps others can advise on the other 2 options you mention.

Cheers!
Gary
Cheers!

July 1st, 2012, 9:31 pm #5

Aeromaster printed the first in their "Yellow-nosed Mustangs" sheet, EagleCals & Superscale did Preddy's and Superscale did a separate sheet recently for "Moonbeam". Can anyone comment as to the accuracy of these sheets? Any help/opinions are greatly appreciated...

Best regards,

Michael
they have it on the sheet as 414803. Correct number is 414809 and if I remember correctly one of the other makers got it wrong also but can't recall which.

Haven't seen the Zotz sheet except on the web so can't say if anything else is wrong.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

July 1st, 2012, 9:38 pm #6

"Cripes A'Mighty 3rd" by Eaglecals is the way to go.
I think that both the Aeromaster and Zotz offerings for "Jasper Joker II" have issues.
I've not seen the Superscale "Moonbeam McSwine".

Christian A.
Care to elaborate on "issues" for JJII?

Thank you for your thoughts!

s p e e d o f h e a t (at) g m a i l (dot) c o m

July 1st, 2012, 9:46 pm #7

they have it on the sheet as 414803. Correct number is 414809 and if I remember correctly one of the other makers got it wrong also but can't recall which.

Haven't seen the Zotz sheet except on the web so can't say if anything else is wrong.

Will Rogers
I checked and you are correct, sir. Aeromaster also printed the serial as 414803. Other than that glaring error, are there any other problems you find with these sheets?

The information is much appreciated!

July 1st, 2012, 10:04 pm #8

there is nothing I can see that will stop me from using them for my build when I get to using them. I've compared them to both a full side view and nose shot of the artwork and the sheet is close enough for me ( and that is an aircraft out of my fathers squadron).

I haven't seen the Zotz sheet in the 1:1 so can't vouch for it other then they also getting the tail number wrong. Zotz may have better printing and color work, personally I'm not going to spend $23 ( from Sprue Bro.) for the sheet to find out since I have the Aeromaster offering.

Will Rogers

July 1st, 2012, 10:10 pm #9

Care to elaborate on "issues" for JJII?

Thank you for your thoughts!

s p e e d o f h e a t (at) g m a i l (dot) c o m
On top of the serial number issue Craig mentioned, I find that both Aeromaster and Zotz failed to properly capture the Joker's face.
The real thing looked different.

Christian A.
Christian A.

July 2nd, 2012, 3:08 am #10

Best regards,

Michael
I would also recommend getting the book "The P-51 Mustangs of Major George Preddy" that Eagle Cals also sell. It provides a lot of great info and photos. Gives suggestions for mixing that blue nose color, and shows you exactly where all the decals should go.