P-51D "Baby Duck" - A rookie's attempt at vector graphics...

P-51D "Baby Duck" - A rookie's attempt at vector graphics...

March 23rd, 2012, 5:09 am #1

Seems like everybody else has interpreted this photo as having a yellow dropshadow, including the owners of the warbird painted in these markings, but upon closer inspection, I think it's red. Still needs a little tweaking here and there, but I'm getting the hang of it. I think the artwork will be a little trickier, but I'm learning as I go...

March 23rd, 2012, 5:46 am #2

And hows about that dark area inside the B's lower loop? nt.

March 23rd, 2012, 2:46 pm #3

avoiding the artwork while scrubbing off the exhaust stains. Or maybe a coat of protective lacquer that has started to yellow (frequently seen over P-51 data blocks). When you zoom in on the original the contrast is very clear, as is the difference in value between the yellow checkers and the dropshadow.

March 23rd, 2012, 5:04 pm #4

Seems like everybody else has interpreted this photo as having a yellow dropshadow, including the owners of the warbird painted in these markings, but upon closer inspection, I think it's red. Still needs a little tweaking here and there, but I'm getting the hang of it. I think the artwork will be a little trickier, but I'm learning as I go...

A good while back (about 15 years I think) I was fortunate enough to get a ride in the modern-day version of "Baby Duck" with the late Jeff Ethell. Jeff on the left, me on the right. I was able to log 40 minutes dual in a P-51 in my Pilots Logbook. Loved every minute of it!

March 23rd, 2012, 7:21 pm #5

March 23rd, 2012, 7:21 pm #6

A good while back (about 15 years I think) I was fortunate enough to get a ride in the modern-day version of "Baby Duck" with the late Jeff Ethell. Jeff on the left, me on the right. I was able to log 40 minutes dual in a P-51 in my Pilots Logbook. Loved every minute of it!

You probably know this, but readers may not, that it was stored away in 1996 and was restored in 2008-2011, and has recently taken to the skies again. 

http://www.warbirdheritagefoundation.or ... Specs.html  

The Duck artwork was redone and appears to be dead-on to the original, but they left the name as it was. 

I actually found the close up of the artwork on the company that did the polishing's website. 

March 23rd, 2012, 7:29 pm #7

And have no background in graphics or design or anything that would require me to use an expensive program like full-blown Photoshop or Illustrator. 

I downloaded it a week or two back and found a couple tutorials and have been playing around with it for a few days.  I'm finding vector drawing very intuitive, a lot like pushing and prodding a wet decal into alignment. 

March 30th, 2012, 2:41 am #8

Kaibutsu
Kaibutsu --- Andrew Gaitan