P-51B Mustang (Col. "Tex" Hill's bird)

P-51B Mustang (Col. "Tex" Hill's bird)

November 6th, 2011, 10:36 am #1

Actually built some time ago and finished this morning, this model has really been through a lot. I know it's not up to standard, yet believe it deserves a proper completion after so many experiments done on it. Painted, stripped and deserted, it laid in a box for quite a while (>4 years). Since I am not the kind of guy who bins models for whatever reason - I decided to try and finish it using some tricks I've learned over the latest years.

Whenever I think of the CBI theater reddish dust and moisture come to mind, hence the AFV-like appearance.

So without further ado, please meet Col. Hill and his weathered war horse:

More on how I did the weathering:
http://modelcrafters.net/build-articles ... experiment

Thanks for viewing. Questions and comments are most welcome.

Peter

November 6th, 2011, 11:58 am #2

Amazing job!!!

November 6th, 2011, 1:46 pm #3

Actually built some time ago and finished this morning, this model has really been through a lot. I know it's not up to standard, yet believe it deserves a proper completion after so many experiments done on it. Painted, stripped and deserted, it laid in a box for quite a while (>4 years). Since I am not the kind of guy who bins models for whatever reason - I decided to try and finish it using some tricks I've learned over the latest years.

Whenever I think of the CBI theater reddish dust and moisture come to mind, hence the AFV-like appearance.

So without further ado, please meet Col. Hill and his weathered war horse:

More on how I did the weathering:
http://modelcrafters.net/build-articles ... experiment

Thanks for viewing. Questions and comments are most welcome.

Peter
You got one thing right. I have seen a lot of builds with muddy tires but with no mud on the wings and pristine wheel wells as if the stuff magically does not splatter everywhere whe the airplane is rolling. You thought your weathering through. Great Job. Adios, Larry.

November 6th, 2011, 9:19 pm #4

Here's an earlier model, Revell's Hurricane IIc, done as a fictional desert aircraft.

I'm in touch with former AF personnel who tend to have a very different opinion on weathering (and finish in general) from modellers - and it does help a lot.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Peter