P-47N, Mass. ANG...from a Native MassHole!

P-47N, Mass. ANG...from a Native MassHole!

June 29th, 2012, 10:26 pm #1

Here's my latest completion. Academy P-47N with Monogram "ProModeler" decals. I'm building a collection of ANG birds from Mass. so that's the markings I went with, 101st FS at Logan Airport, Boston 1947.

Kit is out of the box except for the seat belts (Eduard). Alclad was used for the bare metal finish over a base coat of Model Master Gloss Sea Blue enamel. Aluminum, Aluminum Plate and Dark Aluminum were used. I mixed Testors Light Blue (small bottle) with a little white to match it with the cowling decal, it was close. I later came back and "feathered" it in to blend with the decal. The prop spinner/dome and wheel hubs are purely "artistic license" but black and white photos support at least the prop spinner. ScaleMaster "Curtiss" prop logos from their sheet of various prop logos in '48 scale. I'm waiting on an AeroMaster sheet with the stenciling and wing walk markings...the Academy decals were completely unusable!

I'll throw myself under the bus by saying that the fuel tank configuration is not standard, at least not according to the Academy instruction sheet load out diagram. With the two 150 Gal tanks on the wings, the centerline pylon should be empty...but I thought that looked goofy and I wanted the wing tanks. So...I put the 75 Gal tank in place as an early form of "baggage" pod! Or maybe it's just empty...or maybe the Academy load out diagram is just wrong all together. Either way.

The pics I took with my new Nikon 5100. I've wanted a "real" camera for some time. I'm no photographer, but I'm working on it!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by Whitey on June 29th, 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew White

June 29th, 2012, 10:56 pm #2

Re: P-47N, Mass. ANG...from a Native MassHole!

June 29th, 2012, 11:29 pm #3

Here's my latest completion. Academy P-47N with Monogram "ProModeler" decals. I'm building a collection of ANG birds from Mass. so that's the markings I went with, 101st FS at Logan Airport, Boston 1947.

Kit is out of the box except for the seat belts (Eduard). Alclad was used for the bare metal finish over a base coat of Model Master Gloss Sea Blue enamel. Aluminum, Aluminum Plate and Dark Aluminum were used. I mixed Testors Light Blue (small bottle) with a little white to match it with the cowling decal, it was close. I later came back and "feathered" it in to blend with the decal. The prop spinner/dome and wheel hubs are purely "artistic license" but black and white photos support at least the prop spinner. ScaleMaster "Curtiss" prop logos from their sheet of various prop logos in '48 scale. I'm waiting on an AeroMaster sheet with the stenciling and wing walk markings...the Academy decals were completely unusable!

I'll throw myself under the bus by saying that the fuel tank configuration is not standard, at least not according to the Academy instruction sheet load out diagram. With the two 150 Gal tanks on the wings, the centerline pylon should be empty...but I thought that looked goofy and I wanted the wing tanks. So...I put the 75 Gal tank in place as an early form of "baggage" pod! Or maybe it's just empty...or maybe the Academy load out diagram is just wrong all together. Either way.

The pics I took with my new Nikon 5100. I've wanted a "real" camera for some time. I'm no photographer, but I'm working on it!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Looks great, love the markings. The tank configuration I think is correct. I've seen pictures of N models out in the pacific with the 150 gal tanks on the wings and a 75 gal tank on the centerline. Anyway, in other news, I found those sabre decals before I left, so they should go out in the mail shortly!

Corey

June 29th, 2012, 11:35 pm #4

...for the compliments and the decals. Have a safe trip.
Andrew White

June 29th, 2012, 11:43 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Great scheme of course.

Are you going to do all the Logan MA ANG birds?

F-51, F-84, F-94, F-86H, & F-100 etc?/

Steve,

June 29th, 2012, 11:51 pm #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

June 29th, 2012, 11:51 pm #7

Great scheme of course.

Steve,
Please e-mail this Mass-hole hal

June 29th, 2012, 11:53 pm #8

Great scheme of course.

Steve,
I have an Otis F-106, F-15 and now this done. In the stash I have the F-51H, F-84, T-33 and an F-100. That new F-94C is on my list. The F-86H is the one I'd really want! The Collect Aire kit has the "Irish Air Force" decals from when Brig Gen Chuck Sweeney was commanding. They pop on eBay from time to time...the last one got up in the $280.00 range! A fellow HS has some decals he's going to give me though...should sufficiently motivate me to kit bash an F-86D and F to make an "H".
I have a niche interest for ANG and military birds from New England in general. I recently finished up a Maine ANG F-101B, have markings for a VT ANG F-102 ready to go, an A-4M from S. Weymouth NAS, Pease AFB FB-111...and of course a 1/72 P-3 out of NAS Brunswick that I flew on!
Andrew White

June 30th, 2012, 1:18 am #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

June 30th, 2012, 7:26 am #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Gorgeous model! Do not know if these show up in your photos used, but
believe that on top of right wing and bottom of left would have been
NG-937 perhaps, to replace the USAF. But if indeed from 1947, probably
a bit early even for the USAF on wings since independence from the Army did
not happen until September of that year. Many ex RegAF a/c that were
given to the NG/ANG units retained the USAF until a major inspection
when correct markings were put on as part of said inspection and
this was either NG or ANG followed by the last three of the tail number.
Still a gorgeous model! cheers