P-47 Zinc Chromate: need some information

P-47 Zinc Chromate: need some information

May 1st, 2012, 4:14 pm #1

I am building P-47D and wondering what "shade" of zinc chromate is more suitable? I assume "dirty" yellow would be correct? I painted mine using Mr.Color 27 "Interrior Green" over the bare plastic and it looks like an apple green, with a hint of yellow.

Besides, interesting observation: when I tried it over the white base it looked more like a yellow with a tint of green, just like in this article: "For example, raw Zinc Chromate applied on the white background would look yellow, while applied to bare metal aluminium it would look more like apple green"

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2 ... urs_us.htm

I can't take the photos right now to show what I've got, but I hope someone can help me out with the proper shade for ZC on P-47s

Thank you and I am sorry if this question will sound stupid to you.

Cheers!
Eugene
Last edited by cobhc on May 1st, 2012, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 4:21 pm #2

A bit of orange to Tamiya Yellow-Green or Tamiya straight. Or the old small tTestors bottle

ZC in the gun bay of a P-47

ZC on the gear doors

ZC on the gear leg of a B-24

ZC on an A-20

ZC on a Vultee Vengeance

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
Last edited by modeldad on May 1st, 2012, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 4:35 pm #3

I am building P-47D and wondering what "shade" of zinc chromate is more suitable? I assume "dirty" yellow would be correct? I painted mine using Mr.Color 27 "Interrior Green" over the bare plastic and it looks like an apple green, with a hint of yellow.

Besides, interesting observation: when I tried it over the white base it looked more like a yellow with a tint of green, just like in this article: "For example, raw Zinc Chromate applied on the white background would look yellow, while applied to bare metal aluminium it would look more like apple green"

I can't take the photos right now to show what I've got, but I hope someone can help me out with the proper shade for ZC on P-47s

Cheers!
Eugene
nt

May 1st, 2012, 4:49 pm #4

Cheers!
Eugene

May 1st, 2012, 4:52 pm #5

A bit of orange to Tamiya Yellow-Green or Tamiya straight. Or the old small tTestors bottle

ZC in the gun bay of a P-47

ZC on the gear doors

ZC on the gear leg of a B-24

ZC on an A-20

ZC on a Vultee Vengeance

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
white primer.

So, I assume it's kind of yellow from what I see on my monitor.

Cheers!
Eugene

May 1st, 2012, 4:56 pm #6

Cheers!
Eugene
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/th ... +P-47D+WIP

Are those correct? Sorry for using your WIP, Chris

Cheers!
Eugene

May 1st, 2012, 5:17 pm #7

Cheers!
Eugene
-going back on the inside from the front, the first third is Neutral Grey, the rest is either aluminum finish or NMF. Probably NMF as this would be less of a fire risk- errr...

I DID find a great photo showing exactly this, but without spending hours looking for it on the web again, I can only tell you the way it is.

May 1st, 2012, 5:22 pm #8

Cheers!
Eugene

May 1st, 2012, 5:24 pm #9

nt

May 1st, 2012, 5:35 pm #10

Cheers!
Eugene
It would be futile to attempt to replicate an exact color representing yellow zinc chromate protective paint. Dyes used to make color film may give a reasonable approximation of an actual color, but only that. The greenish tint that is sometimes seen may be a consequence of the lighting in which the photograph was taken, or for reasons having nothing to do with the color of the paint payment, such as the natural color of the aluminum sheet underneath the paint. Some photographs of aircraft interiors suggest that over time, zinc chromate paint applied to wheel wells, gun bays, etc., developed a brownish cast as a consequence of being exposed to dust, dirt, lubricating oils, etc. You get to choose, but be consistent.

Art Silen
IPMS USA #1708
Silverwings Chapter, IPMS, Sacramento California, USA