P-26A Colors

P-26A Colors

July 8th, 2012, 7:53 pm #1

Getting ready to build the Revell P-26 adding the Starfighter Interior set and decals. I ordered the P-26 "Mini in Action" and I am just waiting for delivery (within the next couple of days). I am doing some preliminary research and have a question, what are the colors used for the blue and olive drab fuselage along with the yellow used on the wings. Are there any Model Master or Humbrol paints that I can use straight out of the bottle/tin or is some mixing required. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dan

July 8th, 2012, 11:48 pm #2

The yellow would be something in the neighborhood of Testor's 1114 yellow (the little square bottle paint). Actually, I think several of those little square bottles match Army-Navy colors pretty well. Problem is that the blue (Testors 1110?) is a good match for True Blue, the Navy color later adopted by the Army, but that's not what went on P-26's.

The mid-Thirties blue for USAAC fuselages was Blue 23 which is very different from True Blue. To me, it is lighter, grayer and a bit greener. Closest FS 595 is 35193, and it doesn't look like there are any ready-made hobby paints. There used to be in the Floquil Military colors, but that's long gone. There's a build on Large Scale Planes athttp://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index ... opic=22894 that seems to have the right color on the model (not the color chip, that's off at least on my monitor).

July 9th, 2012, 1:16 am #3

Getting ready to build the Revell P-26 adding the Starfighter Interior set and decals. I ordered the P-26 "Mini in Action" and I am just waiting for delivery (within the next couple of days). I am doing some preliminary research and have a question, what are the colors used for the blue and olive drab fuselage along with the yellow used on the wings. Are there any Model Master or Humbrol paints that I can use straight out of the bottle/tin or is some mixing required. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dan
Dan, I don't know about Model Master or Humbrol, but Polly Scale offers all three colors you're asking about.

The blue is sold as Blue (23) USQM 3-1 (stock number 505216), the olive drab is Olive Drab 22 USQM 3-1 (stock number 505218), and the yellow is Orange Yellow 4 USQM 3-1 (stock number 505220).

Hope this helps.
Bill

July 9th, 2012, 3:14 am #4

Regards, Dan
but I'm not sure which True Blue it is.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 9th, 2012, 11:07 am #5

Regards, Dan
This is a great start.

Regards, Dan

July 9th, 2012, 2:16 pm #6

Regards, Dan
See also:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index ... opic=22894

About 1934 a new Light Blue 23 came out that was deepr blue in color.Dana Bell (Login DanaBellColors)
November 15 2005 at 4:56 PM
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 160.111.254.11

Response to IIRC, Archer indicated that the USA Air Corps did not adopt true blue

As you noted, there were two colors with the name Light Blue 23. The first was the lighter, turquoise shade dating back to 1919 Quartermaster Spec 3-1. The second was stronger and darker, issued with the Air Corps porcelain enamel plates of late 1934. It took some time for the newer color to go into production, and confusion between the colors continued through WWII. (What? Two different paints with the same name? What could be confusing?)

There was an ANA agreement in 1934, with the Army agreeing to adopt the Navy's True Blue as standard, but the agreement was ignored until late 1939/early 1940. Wright Field continued to proclaim the ANA color would become standard, but then again, True Blue wouldn't appear in any Army specs or TOs until that 1939/40 time period. Soon after that, the name was changed from True Blue to Light Blue, again adding to the confusion and allowing the earlier Army colors to remain in use. (What? Three different paints with the same name? What could be confusing?)

Several paint manufacturers have issued "Light Blue 23" including (I think) Testors, but they seem to have been trying to match True Blue. I don't remember any real model paint matches for either Light Blue 23, but they may exist.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Cheers,

Dana

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 9th, 2012, 3:08 pm #7

Regards, Dan
going by the color chip for Light Blue 23 in Archer's "Official Monogram USAAS & USAAC Aircraft Color Guide," FS 35193 is a pretty good approximation. When I built my P-26 some years ago, I started with the "True Blue" variant (I used Model Master, but any other brand would probably do) and added small amounts of yellow and white to pull it toward the Archer chip. I remember having to start over a number of times because I added too much yellow -- it doesn't take a lot.

Incidentally, the Polly S Light Blue 23 is NOT the early color, but rather a slightly lighter version of True Blue when compared to the Archer chip.

Pip Moss