Out of the slump, into the fire! Testors 1/48th scale F8F-2 Bearcat

Out of the slump, into the fire! Testors 1/48th scale F8F-2 Bearcat

February 15th, 2012, 6:14 pm #1

I got my mojo back!

I took some of the advice from the other night, and decided to build something simple.

Along with the idea of keeping it simple, I was building this while thinking about Jeff Harrison, who had the kit originally.
I didn't know Jeff as well as Dave Aungst did, and I didn't really know what Jeff would have done with it, So, I decided to just build it my way, and simply remember where it came from, and hope that be enough.
I did use a little PE from Eduards set...

I also hacked up an old ESCI Skyraider cockpit to replace the non-existent kit cockpit... I thought it worked out fairly well...

I also replaced the kit exhaust with some small diameter steel tubing...

I'm not sure what else special I may do to the kit, I'm just enjoying it, and thinking about the few times I talked with Jeff, and all the guys at our model club (Highflight) in The Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum/Delaware Valley Historical Aircraft Association Museum, in Willow Grove PA.

Stand by... More to follow.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

February 15th, 2012, 6:44 pm #2

Dave too. And I have not been disappointed in any.

Remember...... Happiness can be cured. See me for further details.

February 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm #3

I got my mojo back!

I took some of the advice from the other night, and decided to build something simple.

Along with the idea of keeping it simple, I was building this while thinking about Jeff Harrison, who had the kit originally.
I didn't know Jeff as well as Dave Aungst did, and I didn't really know what Jeff would have done with it, So, I decided to just build it my way, and simply remember where it came from, and hope that be enough.

I also hacked up an old ESCI Skyraider cockpit to replace the non-existent kit cockpit... I thought it worked out fairly well...

I'm not sure what else special I may do to the kit, I'm just enjoying it, and thinking about the few times I talked with Jeff, and all the guys at our model club (Highflight) in The Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum/Delaware Valley Historical Aircraft Association Museum, in Willow Grove PA.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Also-- glad to see you're back to building! I'm having to fight to finish a few right now-- I have a different problem though. I just have too many going at the same time!

February 15th, 2012, 9:08 pm #4

I got my mojo back!

Semper Fi, Don
1) You can rebuild the pilots headrest/ roll pillar thingie behind his head.

2) You can notch out the wingtips and add lights with clear sprue, a No. 77 Drill bit, and some Tamiya Red and Green.

3) MAYBE use the ESCI Propeller? If it's an improvement?

4) Watch the Bearcat footage on YouTube to keep your mojo going.

5) Paint a bumblebee on the tail
(That was a TEST. Just Kidding).

Roger Jackson did an excellent piece on rehabilitating this dinosaur on MM.

d-bot

February 15th, 2012, 9:10 pm #5

Dave too. And I have not been disappointed in any.

Remember...... Happiness can be cured. See me for further details.
... Dave is a number one kinda guy. I'm glad he stepped up to help Jeff's family...
Jeff was a one heck of a nice guy too.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 9:12 pm #6

Also-- glad to see you're back to building! I'm having to fight to finish a few right now-- I have a different problem though. I just have too many going at the same time!
... I know what you mean, I've got a bunch of kits started too, just get stuck sometimes deciding what I'm going to finish first of start another!

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 9:19 pm #7

1) You can rebuild the pilots headrest/ roll pillar thingie behind his head.

2) You can notch out the wingtips and add lights with clear sprue, a No. 77 Drill bit, and some Tamiya Red and Green.

3) MAYBE use the ESCI Propeller? If it's an improvement?

4) Watch the Bearcat footage on YouTube to keep your mojo going.

5) Paint a bumblebee on the tail
(That was a TEST. Just Kidding).

Roger Jackson did an excellent piece on rehabilitating this dinosaur on MM.

d-bot
I have the Eduard PE set, which will give me a decent headrest/roll bar, and a few other little nicies.

The ESCI props (Skyraider) I had are already in my F-82 box The kit one looks ok to me...

My mojo is strong, I don't need no steenkin' Utube!

Hmmmmm, the bumble bee was a thought! Hhahaha

Yes, I have Rogers article printed... But, in the interest of keeping this simple, I'm just going to build it as simply as possible... His Bearcat is a great piece of work!

Wing walks???? You didn't mention anything about the wing walks...

Gotcha!

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 10:06 pm #8

Those too.

i haven't built it yet, but while i admire Rogers work on the Hawk/ Testors Bearcat, i think he may have been a bit too hard on the Hobbycraft one. His idea about using a P-61 nose bowl to fix the front of the cowling is a good one. He's always been big on recycling model parts. IIRC he used bits of an F-80 and P5M to reconstruct the vertical fin.

-d-

February 16th, 2012, 2:33 am #9

I got my mojo back!

Semper Fi, Don
...is file and sand a little more radius on the front rim of the cowling. Really helps.

Another is file the T-33 dorsal filet on it back to the correct shape. Look at pics of real ones and make it look like that.

The kit wheels/tires are too thin. Either get some True Details or split the kit parts and laminate in some sheet styrene.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

February 16th, 2012, 4:00 am #10

I got my mojo back!

Semper Fi, Don
used Q-tip just laying about willy-nilly in the background. Don, we do have standards!. HA!HA!!

Always great to follow you on your projects. I have never been disapointed. Except for the masking ordeal you put us through.

Always interesting builds,

We are watching you!

California Steve