Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

July 7th, 2018, 4:13 pm #1

Just got home last night from two very nice weeks in the Boston area. For a Cal born and raised guy, being in the hotbed of the American revolution is always a fantastic trip, especially during the forth of July celebrations. I've been to NE every year several times a year because my lovely bride is from there and all her family, including gkids, are there. So I send her back whenever she gets the urge and I'll tag along once in a while.
Anyway, great trip. Went and spent the day in the Lexington/Concord area on 7/3. The national parks is doing an incredible job of restoring the 5.5 mile trek between the green in Lexington and the bridge. They do an re-enactment of the confrontation every Patriots Day which is always close to April 19th when the battle actually occurred. I have been to the L/C historic site numerous times, but not for the re-enactment yet. The curators at the visor center said to see the confrontation well, one needs to be at the green at 4AM. I'm betting it would be well worth the effort. My wife retires in a little over a year, so that's one of the first events we have to see! And for anyone who ever gets to the Boston area, please don't miss any of the wonderful places to see and go. The walking tour in Boston is probably the best walking history tour in the US, especially for Americans. And to my British friends here on the site, there are plenty of remembrances to the troops that were involved. Just wonderful stuff. Although Diane doesn't always believe it, I can wander all those same sites every year and never get tired nor fail to feel a real sensation of the history all aroud me seemingly oozing up out of the ground. I love being there.
Ah but it was time to come home to LA yesterday. Had a bit of a problem getting out of seltering and extremely muggy Boston. Weather delayed our flight for about and hour and half and three different reroute paths to the pilots before we even took off. Finally did and had a successful, if somewhat bumpy, ride home. Landed in LA where the temp at my humble abode war a mere 111. By the time I hit the rack (about 11PM) it had cooled to a mere 96. Today will be another warm one with a projected high of 106, but it's 9:10 in the AM and already 102 so I can't imagine we'll stay under the 106 mark. Well they say at least it's a dry heat which it is, but folks, it's still damn hot. 'Fraid the airbrush paint drys before it even hits the model in this weather. Have to wait a bit till it cools a little. Only supposed to be 102 tomorrow :o).
Anyway, nice to be home and just thought I'd pop onto this forum and say hi to everyone!
McLents
PS-Oh my, just as I suspected, it's 10:45 now and it's already 113. Good time to be in AC'd house!

July 7th, 2018, 6:12 pm #2

Almost hot enough to fry a squirrel on the patio 🐿. 460F8255-0264-433D-BBA2-8C1C8A011DDA.jpeg

July 7th, 2018, 7:09 pm #3

I know what you mean about historic sites.  There used to be a huge figure show in Valley Forge, Pa, not a stone's throw from the encampment.  We went over there every year for close to 12 year running.  The encampment is also well run, the guides are tremendous, the stops are very informative, and the visitor's shop was always interesting to us as well.   Since the show was in early may, the whole area was very comfortable.  The show has moved to a new venue, and, sadly, we saw the Valley Forge exit on the PA turnpike, but nothing more.....

July 7th, 2018, 10:33 pm #4

In 1993, I invested in a central air conditioning system. The best home improvement I ever did. There's never been one hitch with the system in all that time.

Chris
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

July 8th, 2018, 12:00 am #5

chris7421 wrote: In 1993, I invested in a central air conditioning system. The best home improvement I ever did. There's never been one hitch with the system in all that time.

Chris
Yep, I put in a forced air heating/AC unit when I moved in here in 2008. The most expensive issue was the removal of the asbestos that had been used to wrap the old AC cooling ducts. Hazmat suits, personal ventilators, sealed disposal containers, the whole nine yards. But the system is definitely necessary here. Anything you spend on stuff like that in a house will net you the return on selling. Always a great investment.
McL

July 10th, 2018, 4:22 pm #6

Speaking of visits to historic sites one of my favorites is Antietam on September 17. They start the day off with Sunrise in the Cornfield with the interpretive staff reading the reports and memories of the participants while on the ground where Hooker's and Manfield's Corps advanced to start off one of the most ferocious days of the Civil War as the sun rises over the mountains to the east. No matter how many times I've gone it's always a moving experience.

July 10th, 2018, 6:55 pm #7

TomDynia wrote: Speaking of visits to historic sites one of my favorites is Antietam on...........it's always a moving experience.
  There certainly are far too many great historical sites to go in the United States for anyone to see them all. My wife will retire in a little over a year. And that’s one of the things I’d really like to do is start traveling around the United States and visit a lot of historical sites. And if I happen to be there when there’s a re-creation on, so much more the better.
One of the first places I would really love to go would be the battle site of The Little Bighorn. The west, the expansion, and the Indian wars have long fascinated me.
Were I a better modeler, and any kind of figure painter at all, I think that that’s the period that I would’ve painted figures for. And using the wonderful works of such artist as Russell and Remington among others, what beautiful
dioramas  and vignettes one could make. But the talent just isn’t there to do that.
Perhaps I should start to sell off some of my huge collection of models and other paraphernalia of the hobby. It’s a cinch I can’t possibly build all of the things that I have, nor do I have the time to do it. And perhaps that could help fund some of the wonderful historical trips that I would like to take.
Well I guess we’ll see.
McLents