Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Russian tank names?

Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Russian tank names?

February 2nd, 2012, 10:15 pm #1

I know with Russian aircraft, the MiG-21 is pronounced the mig 21, the TU-95 is pronounced the too-95, and the SU-35 is pronounced the soo-35. Would the same thing apply to Russian tanks like the SU-100?

Cameron Forester
Aviation Maintenance student

I don't rant; I complain logically
-My mom

February 2nd, 2012, 10:25 pm #2

In cyrillic it is roughly translated to SU from the cyrillic CY (although Y is not the exact letter). You can see the letter at the beginning of this film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ghaMEy0l8

So if you read the letters as a Russian would then yes "SU" would be "soo" because C is pronounced as an "S" and Y is pronounced as 'oo". Whether this is standard pronunciation I don't know. Just my meager 2 cents.
Last edited by RedSteveSDMB on February 2nd, 2012, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 3rd, 2012, 1:56 am #3

I know with Russian aircraft, the MiG-21 is pronounced the mig 21, the TU-95 is pronounced the too-95, and the SU-35 is pronounced the soo-35. Would the same thing apply to Russian tanks like the SU-100?

Cameron Forester

-My mom
Funny. I've never heard these designations spoken verbally, so in my head, I say ess-you 85 for SU-85. I pronounce the letters, as I think of it as an acronym (like FBI, NBC, and so forth). Didn't realize I was wrong.

Stacey

February 3rd, 2012, 4:22 am #4

Maybe in Russia.

Outside of Russia or perhaps the local chapter of the Russian A/c and Tank Geek Club, everyone else says Ess You 35 and Tee You 95, etc.

Geez.

February 3rd, 2012, 8:24 am #5

Everywhere where people understand that their own language is not the only one in the world and that "their way" is not the only correct way... So you believe that every foreign word and name should be pronounced according to English language rules and that it would be correct?... Geez.

Do you know that pronouncing "U" as "you" is purely English language thing? In every (or at least most) other language this letter is pronounced as "oo". Also in many languages "T" is not "Tee", but "Teh". So even if I would want to pronounce "Tu" letter by letter (what is not correct!) I would say "Teh"-"oo", not "Tee"-"you" because this is how it is pronounced in my language...

Pawel

NOTE: Insert .k between my name and @ in my email address!!!

February 3rd, 2012, 10:17 am #6

and that of the poster I was replying to, they too are probably in the US, UK or one of the other English speaking countries. No one I've heard, be they narrator, speaker, expert, wannabee expert, fellow modeller, friends, etc, has pronounced it soo 35. They, as I, say ess you 35.

How Russians or other E.Europeans pronounce it, or for that matter any non-English speaking population, I can't say. Those terms have never surfaced (been noted) in the normal chit chat conversations w/ the few I have met over the yrs, or for that matter the many Jpn, Chinese, Nepalese, Mexican, German, Italian, Thai, French, Indian, Botswanan, etc, people w/ whom I have conversed, a little or a lot.

But it's interesting info for filing away in the dark, way back reaches of my brain. Thanks.

I also own British cars but refuse to say bonnet, boot, etc and don't spell tire w/ a Y. If I ever move to England tho I may have to start that practice, begrudgingly.

By your sentence structure (or is it Google Translate/BabbleFish?) and of course your name, I'll guess English is not your first language therefore you pronounce it diff than I. Probably the 'correct' way, as in the tank or a/c's nation of origin. Good for you.

Similarly, in the US, most (probably some Latino/Hispanics too!) say San Jose, not Sannn Joooze. Los Angeles, not Loos Angellese, etc.

In HS member English speaking countries, which frankly make up a large/major % of the nations represented in the 'member/hits' tally at foot of page, I'd say most would pronounce SU-35, ess you 35. But you should of course continue to pronounce it the 'correct' way, or, for a lark, should ya wanna speak some 'American', the 'incorrect' English way.

February 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm #7

in which someone asked about the Russian aircraft names. Someone from Russia or, judging by their name, of Russian heritage clarified it as too- for TU and soo- for SU. Yes I'm from America and I try to use the correct pronunciation. However I grew up saying tee you and ess you so it's hard to break that habit.

Notice that while we speak English, we (modelers) do have a tendency to use the correct foreign name for foreign equipment; it clarifies things. We tend to use words like Jagdtiger, and Jagdpanther instead of Hunting Tiger and Hunting Panther. We also use the name Shinden instead of Magnificent Lightning for the experimental Japanese fighter. Of course with Japanese aircraft, we also tend to use the American nicknames too.

I'm sure you know but in English, San José is pronounced the same as in Spanish, which is the language of origin.

Cameron Forester

-My mom

February 3rd, 2012, 2:16 pm #8

Cameron Forester

-My mom
Yes, the MiG-21 is pronounced 'mig21' but the TU-95 isn't 'too-95' (even though the Y in the Cyrillic alphabet has the 'oo' sound. It would be pronounced 'tee you ninety five' and the SU-35 is the 'ess you thirty five'

Tanks would follow the same I believe. The SU-100 would be the 'ess you sto' (CTO, pronounced sto, is russian for 100)

February 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm #9

Tu-95 in Russian is "Too 95" because it is from the aircraft designer's name: Tupolev (toopolev). And Su-27 is "Soo 27" - Sukhoi (sookhoi).
But AFV names are most likely indeed pronounced differently. So in Russian ASU-85 is probably "ah ess oo 85". Not "ey ess you", as U is pronounced as "you" and A as "ey" only in English, in most other languages it is "oo" and "ah".

Pawel

NOTE: Insert .k between my name and @ in my email address!!!

February 3rd, 2012, 10:08 pm #10

Yes, the MiG-21 is pronounced 'mig21' but the TU-95 isn't 'too-95' (even though the Y in the Cyrillic alphabet has the 'oo' sound. It would be pronounced 'tee you ninety five' and the SU-35 is the 'ess you thirty five'

Tanks would follow the same I believe. The SU-100 would be the 'ess you sto' (CTO, pronounced sto, is russian for 100)
when the excellent series "Wings" produced "Wings of the Red Star", no less than Sir Peter Ustinov pronounced TU-95 as "Tupelov 95", and so on and so forth....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"