Other than profit, what's the thinking behind Eduard's bronze ....

Other than profit, what's the thinking behind Eduard's bronze ....

September 13th, 2017, 1:18 am #1

Brassin u/c legs??

OK, if a heavy model, prob stronger than the kit's plastic legs. But is the featured 48th 109-F that heavy? No.

Now if polished up, unpainted w/ a seal coat of clear, nice looking for sure. Shiny. Not 1:1 authentic of course.

And then there's the 20+ (!) buck price!!??

Good for Eduard, I guess, for pushing the scale modelling AM edge/envelope, but this new-ish product (they offered some for their 48th Mig 29 a couple yrs ago too I think) seems to answer a Q not asked.

Pass. Esp when for less than twice their cost, I can buy another one of their fine reworked 109Gs (ProfilPak) from HLJ!

September 13th, 2017, 1:34 am #2

I agree. Much needed for 1/32 scale (ask me how I know) but probably not 1/48.JM2C.

September 13th, 2017, 1:40 am #3

Brassin u/c legs??

OK, if a heavy model, prob stronger than the kit's plastic legs. But is the featured 48th 109-F that heavy? No.

Now if polished up, unpainted w/ a seal coat of clear, nice looking for sure. Shiny. Not 1:1 authentic of course.

Good for Eduard, I guess, for pushing the scale modelling AM edge/envelope, but this new-ish product (they offered some for their 48th Mig 29 a couple yrs ago too I think) seems to answer a Q not asked.

Pass. Esp when for less than twice their cost, I can buy another one of their fine reworked 109Gs (ProfilPak) from HLJ!
Over the last 30yrs we modelers have proven that we WILL pay a higher price for "perceived" higher quality.

Sometimes it's truly a better kit/aftermarket set and other times it's just another competitor's version of what they think is "better" or more "accurate".

The main change between then and now is that these items are pushed by the "expert reviewers" as necessities to address perceived shortcomings in kits, and not "choices" that builders have to choose from IF they want to do more to a kit.

Look at the latest 109 review over the last 2 days in "What's New"; where Bret presents a new release of a very good kit and then proceeds to list every aftermarket item available (and he's throwing into it). It's one way to build a kit, but it's not the ONLY way to build it. And yes, I realize that Bret is NOT doing that. As far as I can tell he's showing what you CAN do to the model with all that is available; not that you have to build it like he's doing.

Please don't get me wrong....I do NOT object to items to help build a better model. I object to their being presented as NECESSITIES to build a model.

It's your choice, but the bottom line is Eduard and the others keep doing this because WE'VE proven we'll pay through the nose for all of the pretty baubles they make for already pretty nice kits!

September 13th, 2017, 2:01 am #4

Brassin u/c legs??

September 13th, 2017, 2:20 am #5

items cast in that would be very hard to replicate even with P/E. Notice in the review the landing gear uplock clamps for example. That would be pretty hard to reproduce in 1/48 using conventional scratch building techniques not to mention attaching them to the gear legs. The oleo links have the indentations like the real items, again hard to reproduce with files and regular P/E is too one dimensional to be as effective, and lastly all the brake line kinks are already there as they go up the gear leg. All this is cast in one piece so there is a additional strength factor with little or no clean up of seams. Yes they are expensive but I think if one is not building a fleet of Bf 109s they may be worth the money, or even a splurge for that special build as Brett alluded to.
I think these items will find a home with those who would like more detail fidelity much like the P/E instrument panels have done.
Last edited by pat9d on September 13th, 2017, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2017, 2:27 am #6

Brassin u/c legs??

Time to build some 109s for the first time since '92. I am quite sure brass struts are not necessary. Only kits I've ever bought metal gear for are the 1/48 Monogram F-105 and Airfix Canberra.

September 13th, 2017, 8:27 am #7

Brassin u/c legs??

... and that is profit, unless you want to go out of business in a hurry.

Even firms that want to "better the hobby" by producing good after market bits - profit still rules.

And here, even if brass is a better medium to use than white metal or photo-etch, at the core will be profit - cheaper to manufacture, shift more units, corner the market, whatever.

Ciao

September 13th, 2017, 12:40 pm #8

Brassin u/c legs??

I think there is some value to brass legs. They do not break like plastic. If the 109 is to be displayed for years, chances are it will be moved for cleaning at some point and the brass legs insure some longevity.
Last edited by DeeJay on September 13th, 2017, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm #9

Yes they can break, but if you are that careless, then likely something else will snap off.

And if you do knock them off, "be a modeler", as they say, and use a drill, wire and glue.

Of course, if you have money to burn...., I'll save that for a good single malt.

Last edited by samodeldad on September 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

I really don't care, do U

September 13th, 2017, 1:03 pm #10

So sitting in a display case in a hobby shop and Game Boy Billy drops the kit whilst dusting in 2024. Oops. Drop tank, gone. Legs fly across room. So who is going to super glue it back together? Kit goes in trash. Brass legs would have minimized damage.