Opinions on the best 1/144 B-52kit -- can

Opinions on the best 1/144 B-52kit -- can

March 27th, 2012, 1:04 am #1

someone please enlighten me? I prefer the earlier models.
TIA

March 27th, 2012, 1:44 am #2

He's definitely the resident expert.

david

March 27th, 2012, 4:47 am #3

TIA
Minicraft is the old Crown kit from the 1970s (I built one in 1982). The kit itself represents a pre-1975 (Phase VI) airframe. It has a decent overall shape, but is kind of klunky and angular. The wings are overly thick, the TF33 pods are undersized, and the external tanks are an odd shape.
That said, it is an easy build with lots of stores (Hound Dogs, SRAMs, Skybolts, and a couple of Quails) and does look the part when finished, even to a 3,000 hr BUF IEW.
FWIW, this kit was also marketed by Revell in the mid-80s...

The Revell kit in current release dates to 1990 and has all the lumps and bumps plus the tail extension that represent a contemprary BUF. It has stub pylon/HSAM/Harpoon inderwing stores. It's genreally more accurate: the only thing that looks odd is the undersized center windscreen window.
I've built both, enjoyed both.
Minicraft has advertized they are going to update the plastic in their kit to a current configuration. Hopefully they'll remember the tail extension, fix the wing tanks and add a few more stores options...

March 27th, 2012, 11:58 am #4

TIA
Revell also did a G model in 1/144. You can find these on Ebay from time to time. Ace did a re-pop of this kit as well.

If you are after an early "tall tail" version, nothing is currently available. However, I hear a rumor that Contrails Models is planning a 1/144 resin "tall tail" conversion. Here is their website:

http://www.contrailsmodels.com/5001.html

I've bookmarked their website so I can keep checking as this is something I'd love to have.

-Derek

March 28th, 2012, 4:53 am #5

Boy thats great news we do we need a conversion in 144th I hope Contrails puts one out, Cutting Edge made a 144th conversion & decals for the early CrownRevellMinicraft B-52H to build the two early
X-15 Motherships (but no pylons or anything to drop) also Golden Dragon (upon reading that name I can hear the sound of modelers running for the hills!) made some best ignored 144th conversions as well but for the latter Revell 80s G & H kit , I remember reading that Cutting Edge found that the older Crown kit matched the Boeing plans better then the newer Revell kit but the wings of that old kit are clearly too thick at the roots & the nacelles are just not right, Ill be keeping an eye on Contrails site as well,
Cheers