Opinions about IPMS/USA OOB rules re: seatbelts

Opinions about IPMS/USA OOB rules re: seatbelts

June 13th, 2012, 7:37 pm #1

I'm trying to stick to OOB rules (if only to restore a little sanity) on Hasegawa's 109G-4 in 1/32. Would the leather straps on the rudder petals fall into the exemption that allows for seatbelts to be added? Or should I leave them off? OOB is harder than it sounds!

June 13th, 2012, 7:48 pm #2

Unless they came with the kit, they're an aftermarket accessory or engineered part. OOB originally was an attempt to restore some sanity to the building process by concentrating on building and finishing skills.
As for seatbelts, while they are "allowed" under OOB rules (as long as they are simple paper or tape), they are not required.

Phil

June 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm #3

I'm trying to stick to OOB rules (if only to restore a little sanity) on Hasegawa's 109G-4 in 1/32. Would the leather straps on the rudder petals fall into the exemption that allows for seatbelts to be added? Or should I leave them off? OOB is harder than it sounds!
I thik the "old rules" stated you could make simple seat belts/straps from tape. I would assume you could make the straps from tape. Unless that rule was changed?

Rob

June 13th, 2012, 10:32 pm #4

In my mind those straps would fall under the category of a belt...

Use em and then sweat the rules. Biggest problem is you'll get a dozen "IPMS" judges saying that many different things...build the model 1st then take it with a copy of the current rules to whatever contest your wanting to and see what they say....

June 13th, 2012, 10:35 pm #5

I thik the "old rules" stated you could make simple seat belts/straps from tape. I would assume you could make the straps from tape. Unless that rule was changed?

Rob
Tape/paper under the older rules I believe was relaxed a bit. I make my belts out of simple wine foil, in the same manner of paper/tape seat belts...so I asked the question and was basically told it would still fit the OOB rules...but still check with the head judge. Belts on the rudder pedals, that is a tough one...where do you draw the line with shoulder/lap belts...compared to rudder pedal belts...I'm interested to hear the answer.

Cheers
Collin

June 14th, 2012, 12:10 am #6

I've made seatbelts and other details out of what is in the box. That includes spare sprue and the instructions sheet cut up. Hey, it's out of the box, literally.

Still, it is best practice to confirm with the head judge of the category to ensure he is onboard with your OOB entry. If not, move up to the Head Judge.

Good luck!

~S

June 14th, 2012, 1:04 am #7

Think about it, while it would certainly be a lot of work, you could carve up enough sprue from the kit to scratch build a detailed cockpit...definitely not within the spirit of the OOB rule.

I'm not really sure why OOB is such a hard concept to grasp, its actually pretty clear in the IPMS competition handbook. Here is the link to the handbook on the IPMS USA site:

http://www.ipmsusa.org/competition_hand ... index.html

Click on the link on the right side of the page that says special categories and it will take you directly to the OOB rules.

But in a nutshell they allow:

Finish - aftermarket decals and painting markings
Construction - add simple tape or decal seat belts in the cockpit, rigging and antennas

The rules also state that is NOT permitted to add anything other than specified on the instruction sheet other than what is shown in the section on construction.

So just because you use sprue, or paper from the instructions that came in the kit box, to scratch build additional detail, it DOES NOT qualify as an OOB build.

I used to think that the OOB category made sense and was worth keeping, but all these debates about what qualifies and what not makes me think that maybe the time has come to ditch it. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Mike

June 14th, 2012, 3:09 am #8

Well maybe we need to check the rules for 2011 not 2002 they have changed and you can use aftermarket belts. Go to the IPMS web page and check. All the best..........Bill Howell IPMS 12406

June 14th, 2012, 10:15 am #9

... the current rules (III-C-1) state exemptions exist when OOB would result in an "incomplete or inaccurate" model, and "include, but are not limited to," allowances for antenna, rigging, railings, and seatbelts.

Since the exemptions are not limited to just the mentioned items and a Luftwaffe rudder pedal is incomplete and inaccurate without the strap, and it really is no more than a little seatbelt for your boot...

Thanks Bill, and all who chimed in, I appreciate the input. I'm still unsure, but it seems it would be up to interpretations by each judge, and who knows if it will turn out well enough to worry. I haven't even gotten past the rudder pedals, after all!

June 14th, 2012, 10:50 am #10

If not, IPMS/USA's webmaster needs to get on the stick and update the website. I don't believe that the 2010/2011 update was adopted.

OOB is a can of worms. The proposals that make sense to me are two that I stand behind--split it into a "Basic Kit" and High-Tech Kit", and then go back to the "build what comes in the kit, only deviation can be aftermarket decals/markings". No more "Can I add wire seat handles?", What about ship railings on an OOB ship model?" or "If I add ignition wires to my car, is it OOB?" questions.

Just my .002 Liberian. YMMV, etc.

http://www.ironmodeler.com
"Model building is nothing more than a series of problem-solving exercises." -- Me