One victim of Aurora theater shooting was at Toronto shooting: Tweeting minutes before...

One victim of Aurora theater shooting was at Toronto shooting: Tweeting minutes before...

July 20th, 2012, 2:14 pm #1

...being killed in Aurora...

Jessica Ghawi, "aspiring sportscaster."

The whole thing is just so sad.

http://twitchy.com/2012/07/20/aurora-vi ... her-death/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07/20 ... 88871.html

July 20th, 2012, 4:09 pm #2

what course this post or something related is going to take. cheers, Len

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

July 20th, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

We could make private ownership of guns against the law in all 50 states. That is, we could, theoretically, pass the law. But that's not likely ever to happen what with the NRA and the millions of guns already in private hands. Even if we did pass the law there would be no way to enforce it because law breakers don't care about laws and would find ways around it.

We could federally mandate the death penalty, with no appeals, and make it immediate and mandatory for all shooters who survive their own rampage. But that law isn't likely to happen either what with the ACLU and, even if we did, that wouldn't stop whackos with death wishes.

We could pass a federal law in all 50 that would authorize concealed carry in all times and in all places so as to take down spree shooters but then road rage incidents and shouting matches and fistfights, etc., etc., etc., would frequently turn in to gun battles.

I'd give up my Springfield Armory stainless .45, my Walther PPK / .380, my 1851 Colt Navy .44, my 1914 Luger 7.62, and my model 1873 Winchester lever action 30.06 if a way could be found to make such surrender nationwide and mandatory but the latter will never happen so neither will the former...

Cheers, Steve

July 20th, 2012, 5:06 pm #4

what course this post or something related is going to take. cheers, Len

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!
...I don't know how much responsibility "we" should assume for the creation of creeps like this Holmes guy.

Regards,

Lee G.
Last edited by leegee_77 on July 20th, 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 20th, 2012, 5:29 pm #5

We could make private ownership of guns against the law in all 50 states. That is, we could, theoretically, pass the law. But that's not likely ever to happen what with the NRA and the millions of guns already in private hands. Even if we did pass the law there would be no way to enforce it because law breakers don't care about laws and would find ways around it.

We could federally mandate the death penalty, with no appeals, and make it immediate and mandatory for all shooters who survive their own rampage. But that law isn't likely to happen either what with the ACLU and, even if we did, that wouldn't stop whackos with death wishes.

We could pass a federal law in all 50 that would authorize concealed carry in all times and in all places so as to take down spree shooters but then road rage incidents and shouting matches and fistfights, etc., etc., etc., would frequently turn in to gun battles.

I'd give up my Springfield Armory stainless .45, my Walther PPK / .380, my 1851 Colt Navy .44, my 1914 Luger 7.62, and my model 1873 Winchester lever action 30.06 if a way could be found to make such surrender nationwide and mandatory but the latter will never happen so neither will the former...

Cheers, Steve
example, would only make our view of the situation a little bit better as it would be harder for them to obtain them.
Guns though, would only be one type of weapon that a person could use as there are many others.
The meat of the matter is that throughout time there has been these types of events.
The real problem MAY stem from a mental disorder such as psychopathic tendencies, brain disease, and other malfunctions. The brain is a powerful mechanism. In the wrong "state-of-mind", it would be like "going to the dark side".
The problem is these types of people, not their choice of weapons. Ask McVeigh, ask the two truck bombers who blew up the US Marines barracks back in 1983, and so on & so on. Diesel fuel & fertilizer? dual truck bombs? No guns used there and were very destructive.
Unless you have superpowers to see inside ones head before the event occurs, there is no defense against these acts of violence.
Yes, we could all become vigilantes but how would you spot these people? Then who is to say that we are not one of those fruitcakes too??
very tough discussion coming I sense.....

Take a swing,
Larry
Last edited by audiguy on July 20th, 2012, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 20th, 2012, 5:41 pm #6

...I don't know how much responsibility "we" should assume for the creation of creeps like this Holmes guy.

Regards,

Lee G.
the very beginning. cheers, LL

July 20th, 2012, 5:47 pm #7

example, would only make our view of the situation a little bit better as it would be harder for them to obtain them.
Guns though, would only be one type of weapon that a person could use as there are many others.
The meat of the matter is that throughout time there has been these types of events.
The real problem MAY stem from a mental disorder such as psychopathic tendencies, brain disease, and other malfunctions. The brain is a powerful mechanism. In the wrong "state-of-mind", it would be like "going to the dark side".
The problem is these types of people, not their choice of weapons. Ask McVeigh, ask the two truck bombers who blew up the US Marines barracks back in 1983, and so on & so on. Diesel fuel & fertilizer? dual truck bombs? No guns used there and were very destructive.
Unless you have superpowers to see inside ones head before the event occurs, there is no defense against these acts of violence.
Yes, we could all become vigilantes but how would you spot these people? Then who is to say that we are not one of those fruitcakes too??

Take a swing,
Larry
the U.K. after guns were more or less eliminated. As much as everyone here loathes the idea (I'm an owner) I wish some sort of control could help the situation; sadly I agree with Steve that by an large the good is outweighed by potential bad. Especially now I don't like the idea of a totally disarmed citizenry. cheers, LL

July 20th, 2012, 5:52 pm #8

Take a swing,
Larry
There are plenty of people here in the UK who suffer mental disorders and go on to kill, but its usually with a knife - and it's almost always a single victim, not multiples.

So what's the main difference - the easy availability of guns in the US! While you probably won't accept it, guns are why people get shot - not mental illness! And before you say that knives aren't banned anywhere, you're right, but knife control (I'm not talking about household knives there, but hunting knives and so on) is a big issue and there are stiff sentences for anyone caught carrying a knife in the street - including sentences of some years in prison if proven.

No doubt the NRA will be stressing the frankly ridiculous (to anyone from outside the US) idea that the right to bear arms was written into your constitution 230 years ago, and so for some reason you still have a need to bear arms; but I'm not sure the right to kill people with them is written into the Constitution, is it?. Immediately after the Dunblane shootings in Scotland some years ago, private ownership of guns was put under serious control - and it was done quickly and relatively easy - so it can be done if there is a will.

And shootings can affect people other than those in the US - just under a year ago two kids from my part of England were shot and killed by a 17-year old in Miami because they apparently strayed off the main tourist area.

If guns don't get banned then either ban the sale of ammo, or price it so that each round is a number of 1000's of dollars - then you can continue to bear your weapons!

I know this mail will get flamed by some people (or more likely deleted by a moderator), but, well, maybe someone has to say something.

July 20th, 2012, 6:08 pm #9

....can't we just have a few days to collectively mourn the victims before the blame game shouting starts?

One national news program wasted no time in making a political connection. They acted in haste and ended up eating crow.

I'm a pretty politcal guy, but there's a time to give it a rest.

Let's wait until after the funerals.

1/32 scale - Go big or go home.

July 20th, 2012, 6:12 pm #10

There are plenty of people here in the UK who suffer mental disorders and go on to kill, but its usually with a knife - and it's almost always a single victim, not multiples.

So what's the main difference - the easy availability of guns in the US! While you probably won't accept it, guns are why people get shot - not mental illness! And before you say that knives aren't banned anywhere, you're right, but knife control (I'm not talking about household knives there, but hunting knives and so on) is a big issue and there are stiff sentences for anyone caught carrying a knife in the street - including sentences of some years in prison if proven.

No doubt the NRA will be stressing the frankly ridiculous (to anyone from outside the US) idea that the right to bear arms was written into your constitution 230 years ago, and so for some reason you still have a need to bear arms; but I'm not sure the right to kill people with them is written into the Constitution, is it?. Immediately after the Dunblane shootings in Scotland some years ago, private ownership of guns was put under serious control - and it was done quickly and relatively easy - so it can be done if there is a will.

And shootings can affect people other than those in the US - just under a year ago two kids from my part of England were shot and killed by a 17-year old in Miami because they apparently strayed off the main tourist area.

If guns don't get banned then either ban the sale of ammo, or price it so that each round is a number of 1000's of dollars - then you can continue to bear your weapons!

I know this mail will get flamed by some people (or more likely deleted by a moderator), but, well, maybe someone has to say something.
With rights go responsibilities... had there been a concealed carry owner in the audience, he might have kept the wounded and dead toll smaller.

Regardless, there is nothing to fix... this is simply the human condition.