One possible advantage of Sprue obtaining Great Models

One possible advantage of Sprue obtaining Great Models

March 13th, 2012, 2:00 pm #1

Maybe Gordon will use GM's search engine. Sprue Brothers is my go to online retailer but what a PITA their search function is. GM's is/was much more user friendly. I hope it transfers along with the rest of the business.

Jim Johnson

March 13th, 2012, 2:04 pm #2

I totally agree. Improving search would be great. n/t

March 13th, 2012, 2:46 pm #3

Maybe Gordon will use GM's search engine. Sprue Brothers is my go to online retailer but what a PITA their search function is. GM's is/was much more user friendly. I hope it transfers along with the rest of the business.

Jim Johnson
Couldn't agree more Jim, I would also like to see SB use GM's search engine (and still keep up the well known SB service!)

March 13th, 2012, 4:02 pm #4

Jim Johnson
why you guys are having such a difficult time with the SB search feature. I simply type the subject I am looking for....F-100, Abrams, canopy mask...

If I want to narrow it down say for a specific scale I add that to the search...
1:48 F-100, 1:35 Abrams, 1:72 canopy mask B-17

searching for Jets or even 1:48 Jets is too vague as most product descriptions don't use the keyword "Jets"

If you know the manufacturer, SB search recognizes that as a search parameter. Trumpeter F-105...Revell Hawker Hunter

If you are just generically searching for stuff, use the links on the left column of the cart page...these break down into more specific areas as well...Aftermarket, Kits etc

Keywords from the product description are what the search feature uses. Start with the basic generic keywords, then progress from there if necessary. Any and all items related to say a "B-24 Liberator" will come up...kits, decals, PE, Decals, Resin, Masks in all scales. Again, if you want specific scale, search for that scale and the subject...1:72 B-24J, so you see those products relevant to your search criteria.

Happy Modeling!

Oh and if you think or are thinking you'd like to show the others how to run a hobby retail operation, tune into this weeks show we're going to tell you somethings you probably didn't know but need to know if you are.

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2012/03/the ... port-ep16/

March 13th, 2012, 4:16 pm #5

It can be a pain sometimes...on the plus side he does use real-time inventory (I think that's why it loads slow myself) so it's what we got.

I for one am happy for Gordon....

March 13th, 2012, 4:53 pm #6

.....we're all willing to put up with slow beause the goodies are delivered so......faaaaast.

Peace,

Bails

March 13th, 2012, 5:06 pm #7

Jim Johnson
If you can SB, switch over to GW's online catalog w/ some tweaks to inc your opening pg and headlines, new items arrived today/last wk section.

Please DON'T get rid of the your (SB's) ongoing/updating postage cost feature as items are added to an order. That's a plus!

March 13th, 2012, 6:55 pm #8

why you guys are having such a difficult time with the SB search feature. I simply type the subject I am looking for....F-100, Abrams, canopy mask...

If I want to narrow it down say for a specific scale I add that to the search...
1:48 F-100, 1:35 Abrams, 1:72 canopy mask B-17

searching for Jets or even 1:48 Jets is too vague as most product descriptions don't use the keyword "Jets"

If you know the manufacturer, SB search recognizes that as a search parameter. Trumpeter F-105...Revell Hawker Hunter

If you are just generically searching for stuff, use the links on the left column of the cart page...these break down into more specific areas as well...Aftermarket, Kits etc

Keywords from the product description are what the search feature uses. Start with the basic generic keywords, then progress from there if necessary. Any and all items related to say a "B-24 Liberator" will come up...kits, decals, PE, Decals, Resin, Masks in all scales. Again, if you want specific scale, search for that scale and the subject...1:72 B-24J, so you see those products relevant to your search criteria.

Happy Modeling!

Oh and if you think or are thinking you'd like to show the others how to run a hobby retail operation, tune into this weeks show we're going to tell you somethings you probably didn't know but need to know if you are.

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2012/03/the ... port-ep16/
search functions, then just use the two for the answer. I also use Great Models as my primary search. I can complete three searches there in the time it takes the SB search to run one. I sure hope the GM search will supplant the SB one currently in use.
Last edited by RussHill on March 13th, 2012, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 7:37 pm #9

If you can SB, switch over to GW's online catalog w/ some tweaks to inc your opening pg and headlines, new items arrived today/last wk section.

Please DON'T get rid of the your (SB's) ongoing/updating postage cost feature as items are added to an order. That's a plus!
searching a database just for items is going to be faster. Searching a database for those items as well as up to the minute inventory (as well as all items related to the search parameters) is going to be a bit slower. (Also add in effect of your browser and internet connectivity speeds)

It becomes a matter of old versus new technology, what is the specific data being delivered to the search and how accurate is the information? Its one thing to list items in the catalog, its another to show how many are actually on hand and ready for you to purchase.

Think of it this way...it would be easy to take a phone book listing from a major city and search for a name, address or phone number...but if you add in the option for the system to check to see if they are home, that adds a parameter that does require additional time to the process. The more you demand from a product...such as software...there are trade offs.

What happens when an old antiquated system is no longer supported? You have to quickly make the necessary upgrades. Such as computer operating systems. Those no longer supported by their mfr must be discarded in lieu of new ones that are. There are benefits as well as drawbacks with either, but in the end the decision of which to use is a business decision that yields the most benefit to everyone, business and customer.

The system currently employed by SB is working very well. Customers around the world have proven that they like the SB shopping experience...its fast, convenient and RELIABLE. Orders are processed in one business day or less. Some vendors don't download their new orders but once every 24 hours or more. At SB as soon as you pay for it, the inventory is updated, the order is printed out and the staff is on hand to pick, process and ship your order. So would you rather have a minutely slower search feature or have packages show up days, weeks or even a month later or refunds for items no longer stocked or available?

Retail surveys show customers dislike spending time shopping online or at the retailers facility only to find the item they are looking for is not available AFTER placing the order. Whats a few seconds? Reading this took longer than you had to wait for the search results. Besides what else do you have to do while the glue or paint dries! LOL

March 13th, 2012, 8:26 pm #10

I MUCH prefer GMW search over SB's. WAY faster and much easier to use.
Remember the USS Liberty