OMG: Thunder Models Brit Scammel tank transporter with trailer....

OMG: Thunder Models Brit Scammel tank transporter with trailer....

February 11th, 2017, 2:46 pm #1

coming out over 700 parts!!!! Holy mother of God, that sitting next to Tamiya's Dragon wagon with trailer and Famo with tralier...3 big models!!!! I feel envy, I've got the old Airfix Scammel as a to do project:) Mike

February 11th, 2017, 7:03 pm #2

I believe Thunder is the outfit who does molding for LZ/Mirror Models - makers of very difficult to unbuildable kits. It certainly looks like their style.

I think also IBG is doing the same set up, so there will at least be two to pick from.

Some years ago I had the Accurate Armour Scammel. It's a very nice kit and surprisingly easy to build.

February 11th, 2017, 11:34 pm #3

I built the AA Deacon and looking in the box it looked tricky. But it actually went together very nicely with great detail. In any case there is no alternative unless you wanted to convert the AFV CLUB Matador.
The only trouble is the kits are very expensive but I suppose provide plenty of "entertainment".

I have a heap of the Mirror Models/LZ kits in the stash but haven't attempted any yet. Have you built some yourself David?? Any advice?? Your notes on the Dragon Tiger were invaluable to me.

Dave

February 12th, 2017, 12:55 am #4

Is a bear... I haven't really done anything with it because they didn't include printed instructions, just a CD. Since my ipad and tablet don't have a CD drive, the CD is pretty useless. What really ticked me off with them is you buy the basic armored car kit, only to find that the seats are missing. So, Okay, I buy the resin seat set. Guess what, it does not include ALL of the seats. I think you get something like 4 out of the required 6. So, you have to buy the "detail" set to get the rest of the seats. All of the stuff should have been in the original kit in the first place. But, they nickel and dime you to death buying bits you need that aren't included.

I was going to buy the T-20 tractor but now that Hobby Boss has one out... no way. Plus the suspension is messed up in the LZ kit (they must have worked from a museum vehicle with shot suspension, since the suspension arms that should be an inverted V are horizontal. And, for a Russian tractor it has post-War Finnish modifications, so you can't make a Russian tractor OOTB.

February 12th, 2017, 5:43 am #5

on the $$ but very basic 35th Pro Art War Pig resin set for the Trump base truck! I chose the way cheaper Black Dog War Pig route.

February 12th, 2017, 2:02 pm #6

I just prefer their approach and the IBG kits I have are all pretty nice, even the old ones. I bought their initial German Einheitsdiesel trucks years back and while they are a bit simple, they are still quite buildable. One thing that irks me in some kits are the ones that have parts just for parts sake, where the extra complexity does nothing to actually make the kit look any better.

February 14th, 2017, 1:46 am #7

coming out over 700 parts!!!! Holy mother of God, that sitting next to Tamiya's Dragon wagon with trailer and Famo with tralier...3 big models!!!! I feel envy, I've got the old Airfix Scammel as a to do project:) Mike
I built the Case tractor and although it wasn't too difficult it had way too many small fiddly parts. For a kit this size they could have been molded as one or two parts

February 14th, 2017, 3:27 am #8

I've built a couple with a lot more.
The Hobbyboss 1/72nd Dora gun is one of them.
The average new tank kits coming out now have about 700.

Owen

February 14th, 2017, 1:21 pm #9

40 parts are for the wheels and 200 are for tracks.