Oldest built model you still have. I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Oldest built model you still have. I'll show you mine if you show me yours

May 9th, 2012, 10:33 pm #1

After seeing Serge's model of the Monogram P-400/P-39, I got to wondering what's the oldest one that I have done. Here it is:

I built the 1/72 scale C-130 refueling 2 A-4E's over Vietnam. It was originally built about 30 years ago for the Headquarters Building at MCAB El Toro. It moved to the El Toro Flying Leatherneck Museum and then to Miramar. This build along with 40-50 of my other builds are at Miramar now. I have gone from brush painting , to rattle cans to airbrushing spanning 30 years.

Let's see some of yours, Thanks for looking

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

May 9th, 2012, 11:37 pm #2

Nice post of one your old ones! I was at El Toro from 82-86 with VMFA-531 (F-4 to F-18 transition era). I remember base ops and probably have seen your builds first hand. Good to see they are still around, albeit Miramar. Semper Fi.

May 10th, 2012, 12:33 am #3

After seeing Serge's model of the Monogram P-400/P-39, I got to wondering what's the oldest one that I have done. Here it is:

I built the 1/72 scale C-130 refueling 2 A-4E's over Vietnam. It was originally built about 30 years ago for the Headquarters Building at MCAB El Toro. It moved to the El Toro Flying Leatherneck Museum and then to Miramar. This build along with 40-50 of my other builds are at Miramar now. I have gone from brush painting , to rattle cans to airbrushing spanning 30 years.

Mike

Semper Fidelis

..Built somewhere around the time I was 10-15 years old. Now I'm 55. This hung from my ceiling along with all the Aurora WWI kits, was at least a dozen spinning around in the summer breezes. I had all the Monogram WWII on the other side of the ceiling...

Brush painted with Testor's flat red in the little square bottle, modified Monogram pilot, Fok.102/17 hand lettered with crow-quill pen and ink.

I've no idea why or how this has survived all these years and nothing else did...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

May 10th, 2012, 12:35 am #4

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Dropped the ladder and built up the interior, at least as well as I could way back then!

Built this in 1981. Lost the refueling probe years ago. I remember this build so well because of pics of the apartment where I built it AND it's as old as my firstborn, who will be 31 tomorrow!

May 10th, 2012, 12:39 am #5

Mike

Semper Fidelis

from 1975... just happens to be a little down the page after a rebuild!

May 10th, 2012, 1:50 am #6

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Also still have the Mercer.

May 10th, 2012, 1:52 am #7

Mike

Semper Fidelis

This is my oldest exhisting build, 1969 or so. I has been on about three large train layouts and on one small one. It has always been the first building on all of them, It always ends up behind someones house. Now should I bring this Saturday for show and tell? I think it still has the Sears catalog in it! And please, I did not mean to imply that the other posts were not. They were great.

Steve.... Pic..
Last edited by steven9 on May 10th, 2012, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2012, 2:11 am #8

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Not sure which of these is oldest, but these were built somewhere in the 1968 to 1971 timeframe (high school years). Still have them--and others, too, but these are the ones I have photos of loaded up.

1969 Ford Falcon "gasser."

1969 Camaro funnycar.

Two '69 Chevelles, built in 1969. The orange one was recently cleaned up and restored a bit.

JoHan '68 Javelin, built in '68, recently cleaned up and touched up.

MPC '68 Firebird, built in '68, unrestored.

JoHan '69 Road Runner, built in '69, unrestored.

MPC '68 Dodge Charger, built in '68, unrestored.

'55 Chevy Sedan Delivery converted from a Nomad, unrestored.

Two Monogram FW190s, built around 1970.

Monogram P-47, built around 1971. Possibly my first airbrush job, or one of the first.

Hawk plated Bearcat, built around the same time:

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

May 10th, 2012, 2:19 am #9

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Here area couple of survivors from '75 or '76 when I was stationed at MCAS(H) New River, North Carolina. I had a roommate that turned me on to airbrushing, and the 1/48 Otaki Ki-100 is an example of my early efforts, which is still in its original colors. The Mitchell is the Revell B-25B from the same period, but started out as a 405th BS "Green Dragon" and repainted about ten years later in its current (incorrect) 498th BS "Falcons" colors. The nose and tail art were hand painted, the blister pack gun mounts made from balsa wood, with barrels scrounged from the spares box (and the spares box was pretty meager back then, too).

May 10th, 2012, 3:33 am #10

Nice post of one your old ones! I was at El Toro from 82-86 with VMFA-531 (F-4 to F-18 transition era). I remember base ops and probably have seen your builds first hand. Good to see they are still around, albeit Miramar. Semper Fi.
and helped set up the museum. At that time I was with a reserve Engineering Support Bn up in Oregon, But I lived in Orange. I actually have a letter of commendation from The Commandant of the Marine Corps. By any chance do you remember "Peyton Place"? That was the first bar, barber shop and laundry outside the Sand Canyon gate. I believe they closed it down for providing services other than a beer, haircut and pressing uniforms.

Good Times, Semper Fi

Mike

Semper Fidelis