Okay Retro/Nostalgia Modelers, I Need YOUR Advice/Input!

Okay Retro/Nostalgia Modelers, I Need YOUR Advice/Input!

July 15th, 2012, 5:27 pm #1

Getting closer to actually starting the retro-nostalgia site thing. Looks like it will be a forum, not a full site, which means that the content will largely be driven by YOU. Found a forum format that seems easy to use, and has very easy pic-posting--post right from your own computer in one step, no uploading to a hosting site necessary for pics.

1. Any ideas for a catchy name? So far I'm working along the lines of "Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling" or something similar. Got any better ideas?

2. At the moment I'm working with a kit cutoff date of 1980 (for first issue, of course). Reissues will of course be allowed. Resin copies of kits issued prior to the cutoff date will also be allowed, in the case of rare kits (this will apply mainly to cars, I imagaine).

3. The emphasis will be on SIMPLE, FUN modeling. Modern aftermarket resin/vac/PE add-ons and AMS-type detailing won't be banned but will be discouraged and possibly relegated to their own distinct section. Looking for a name for this section. Retro Unlimited, Neo-Retro, Extreme Retro, Full Metal Retro--any of these float your boat or do you have a better idea for a name for this class/section?

4. Here's the lineup of subforums I've come up with. Have I missed anything?

Automotive

Factory Stock, Stock-bodied & Street
Customs & Showcars
Hot Rods & Street Rods (Pre-1949 Bodies)
Race--Straightline (Drag, Bonneville, LSR)
Race--Oval, Road & Off-Road
Trucks & Commercial Vehicles

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72
Prop-driven Box Scale and Other Scales

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72
Jet-engined Box Scale and Other Scales

Armor & Military Vehicles

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft
Sci-Fi & Fantasy Spacecraft

Figures--Human, Animal, Monsters, Characters, Cartoons/Comics, Robots, etc.

Other

Survivors--Models you actually built "back in the day." Let's see 'em!

Vintage Box Art--Show individual boxes or your awesome stash!

Retro Unlimited!--Go nuts with resin, PE, modern building style, etc.

Builder's Workshop--Show WIPs, Share Tips, Ask Questions

Retro Flea Market--Buy-Sell-Trade

5. Any other ideas or suggestions before I pull the trigger on this pig?

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

July 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm #2

Retro Rocks !

July 15th, 2012, 6:01 pm #3

Getting closer to actually starting the retro-nostalgia site thing. Looks like it will be a forum, not a full site, which means that the content will largely be driven by YOU. Found a forum format that seems easy to use, and has very easy pic-posting--post right from your own computer in one step, no uploading to a hosting site necessary for pics.

1. Any ideas for a catchy name? So far I'm working along the lines of "Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling" or something similar. Got any better ideas?

2. At the moment I'm working with a kit cutoff date of 1980 (for first issue, of course). Reissues will of course be allowed. Resin copies of kits issued prior to the cutoff date will also be allowed, in the case of rare kits (this will apply mainly to cars, I imagaine).

3. The emphasis will be on SIMPLE, FUN modeling. Modern aftermarket resin/vac/PE add-ons and AMS-type detailing won't be banned but will be discouraged and possibly relegated to their own distinct section. Looking for a name for this section. Retro Unlimited, Neo-Retro, Extreme Retro, Full Metal Retro--any of these float your boat or do you have a better idea for a name for this class/section?

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!
Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

July 15th, 2012, 6:02 pm #4

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Sat Cong!
Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.

http://www.scalemodelteam.de
Information not shared is information lost.

July 15th, 2012, 6:09 pm #5

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Sat Cong!
.... BuildItLikeAKid.com

That's my whole idea with my modeling- get the joy from the hobby i did as a kid. So that's been my motto, build it like a kid!

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

July 15th, 2012, 6:23 pm #6

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Sat Cong!
There is already a Scale Modeling Nostalgia Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScaleModelingNostalgia/

And a web site devoted to vintage box art:http://theboxartden.com/

Both of these already cover much of what you propose.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 15th, 2012, 6:25 pm #7

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Sat Cong!
A modeling site dedicated to the "oldies"!

Love the idea! I'd be sure to state that ALL builds are welcome, from OOTB nostalgia builds, to the "rebuild them to bring them into the 21rst century" master works.

July 15th, 2012, 6:32 pm #8

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Sat Cong!
Keep it short and snappy. This site has only three syllables in its name, Britmodeller just four. Try RETRO-modeling.

Mike

July 15th, 2012, 6:50 pm #9

There is already a Scale Modeling Nostalgia Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScaleModelingNostalgia/

And a web site devoted to vintage box art:http://theboxartden.com/

Both of these already cover much of what you propose.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
they all seem to have something in common, but cannot put my finger on it. Cause, I still have glue on it.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 15th, 2012, 6:51 pm #10

Automotive

Customs & Showcars

Aircraft

Prop-driven 1/48
Prop-driven 1/72

Jet-engined 1/48
Jet-engined 1/72

Ships

Sail & Nonpowered
Powered

Spacecraft

Real Spacecraft

Other

Sat Cong!
Seems to me that, perhaps, some categories are over represented and some are under represented.

I see you have six categories for aircraft and another six categories for automotive subjects.

Yet your single category for "Figures" includes everything from animals to robots and monsters.

Do the prop and jet guys need individual categories for each scale? Are "Customs and Showcars" so far removed from "Hot Rods and Street Rods" that they need separate categories?

I see this kind of thing with other boards where too many categories and individual forums can water down the impact. I think you should think about minimizing some of those groups so as to keep a core group of modelers involved in the discussion rather than spreading them into two dozen subgroups.
Last edited by KBGair on July 15th, 2012, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.