Okay - I got this PM 1/72 F-5A. What do I do with it?

Okay - I got this PM 1/72 F-5A. What do I do with it?

April 2nd, 2012, 12:54 am #1

...and please don't suggest throwing it out the window. It was a gift, and I need to show the finished article (girlfriend trying to understand my hobby).

I'm used to work with old kits such as Frog and Airfix, but this one probably released in the eighties or nineties is a bit poorer than kits from the mentioned manufacturers issued in the sixties.

I was thinking a bit along the lines of finishing it on a stand with a gloss black canopy so interior detail would not be an issue. I just don't have the oomph to add details to this one (or correct inaccuracies)

Any suggestions as to a scheme? Don't let your suggestions be limited to the fact that it is an "A" - on this one accuracy is not an issue, so a striking F-5E scheme would be OK - as would a completely what-if. Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:04 am #2

I vote for an Army F-5. Colorful and unique....

April 2nd, 2012, 6:53 pm #3

I think that's the first ever quality photo I've seen of the N-156F in Army markings.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

April 2nd, 2012, 11:43 pm #4

...and please don't suggest throwing it out the window. It was a gift, and I need to show the finished article (girlfriend trying to understand my hobby).

I'm used to work with old kits such as Frog and Airfix, but this one probably released in the eighties or nineties is a bit poorer than kits from the mentioned manufacturers issued in the sixties.

I was thinking a bit along the lines of finishing it on a stand with a gloss black canopy so interior detail would not be an issue. I just don't have the oomph to add details to this one (or correct inaccuracies)

Any suggestions as to a scheme? Don't let your suggestions be limited to the fact that it is an "A" - on this one accuracy is not an issue, so a striking F-5E scheme would be OK - as would a completely what-if. Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

I personally tend to use these cheapy kits for my on-hand left over enhancements. ie. seats, cockpits, jet nozzles, etc... It's hard to justify spending too much $ on $5-10 kits. Of course this only works on the kits where accuracy matters less then looking cool.

My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
Last edited by theapacolypse on April 2nd, 2012, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 3rd, 2012, 12:07 pm #5

Girlfriend is unlikely to worry too much about any cockpit details, but will certainly appreciate seeing a quickly completed, and eye-catchingly colourful, finished item. And be enthusiastic about it! She could be a keeper!

My wife-to be bought a Hasegawa Avenger egg-plane - then, with a little encouragement, built it herself, followed by a Matchbox Red Arrows Gnat and Gladiator, plus a couple of Airfix bird kits. She has never built a model since, but, shortly after we married, she encouraged me to buy a compressor for my airbrush, and to get a Monogram B-36 kit. That was over 30 years ago. Since then she has supported me with my project to build a workshop in 2006, and this Christmas she gave me an Azur Vildebeest kit!!

April 3rd, 2012, 12:31 pm #6

The wing doesnot fit the slot it is supposed to go in to. Lots of sanding and fitting to get it to fit between the front and rear, then the whole wing sets too high in the slot. Either add a spacer at the wing/body point or just ignore the bottom. Otherwise it will make a nice F-5 looking pylon mounted model.

April 3rd, 2012, 2:33 pm #7

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

April 3rd, 2012, 2:49 pm #8

April 3rd, 2012, 9:27 pm #9

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -
including the T-37, A-4, and Fiat G.91 as part of Project LONG ARM, until the USAF objected..

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

April 3rd, 2012, 9:29 pm #10

The Navy has several agressor schemes that look great. Several can be seen on the Two Bobs web site.
USN aircraft aren't F-5As, though. n/t
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."