OK - Who makes a Learjet Model 35A kit?

OK - Who makes a Learjet Model 35A kit?

June 17th, 2011, 12:30 pm #1

See my post on Plane Talking about the ride I took

June 17th, 2011, 12:46 pm #2

Also I believe Hawk back in the 70's in 1/48th scale.

RVHP, and Bropan made resin kits in 1/72nd scale.

Airmodel made a Vac kit in 1/72nd scale also.

HtH! !

June 17th, 2011, 2:30 pm #3

One of these days I'd like to convert one to a 31. Always thought that was the best-looking Learjet.

Ben

June 17th, 2011, 9:52 pm #5

The original ITC (or was it Hawk?) kit had only a single cabin window on each side. Testors modified the mold to it's current configuration.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?" from the movie "Airplane!" 1980
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

June 18th, 2011, 3:06 am #6

I think ITC was gone before the Learjet flew. IMC merged with Hawk later, and some boxes (Maybe not the Learjet) had both Hawk and IMC labels. then, Hawk was bought by Testors. The IMC kit was of the 24. I have 2 different boxarts, if anybody would like a scan.

June 18th, 2011, 3:21 am #7

Revell had a 1/48 boxing as well n/t
Learn by doing!

June 18th, 2011, 5:29 am #8

The revell kit is the Hasegawa kit

June 19th, 2011, 3:39 pm #9

Came out in 84/85 time,

http://www.airlinercafe.com/photo_749.details.large
Last edited by Davef68 on June 19th, 2011, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2011, 11:55 pm #10

Also I believe Hawk back in the 70's in 1/48th scale.

RVHP, and Bropan made resin kits in 1/72nd scale.

Airmodel made a Vac kit in 1/72nd scale also.

HtH! !
and it represents an early airframe with no thrust reversers. The 30-series had either none, Dee Howard target-type (clamshell) or Aeronca cascade-type (i.e., the whole aft end of the nacelle translates aft when actuated--internal doors close to redirect the thrust) buckets. The Aeronca are easiest to do--the only difference between the kit and what you'd need is a wee bit if length at the aft end of the nacelle (almost negligible, really) and some small fairings. The Dee Howard require some major work to the aft end of the nacelles. Do a search on airliners.net to see what I mean--if the aft end of the nacelle is bare metal, they are Dee Howard. If the nacelle is smooth, there are none fitted. If you see small bumps, then you have an Aeronca-equipped airplane. There was an article in FineScale Modeler a few years ago--the builder detailed the kit and added Aeronca T/Rs at the same time.

The cockpit is very early, with the huge Sperry Primus 40 (or maybe even RCA Primus 30!) radar indicator on the right side--most 35's had the radar indicator on the center left side just forward of the throttles. Easy enough to fix-and remember that the late (real late) 35A/36A airframes were built and some retrofitted (notably Clay Lacy's "Lacy Lears" and the USAF C-21A's) with EFIS, usually a five-tube affair (two, stacked vertically, per panel and one where the radar indicator lived). Also, very few Learjets ever had the tinted windows, and the windscreens? None were ever "tinted"--I think Hasegawa were trying to represent the heated windshields, but got it too dark.

You can do a 35A/36A from the kit, but check photos. There were minor differences. The wing between the 35/35A and 36/36A was slightly different (leading edge vortilons and boundary layer energizers)--easy enough to do with some strip and half-round Evergreen. Check your window arrangement--they did differ.

The big difference--and one that doesn't show--was that the 36/36A had an additional fuselage fuel bladder for extended range. Outwardly, the two were near twins.

The ITC/Hawk/Testor's kit started life as a 23/24 with the big picture windows, then was modified to a 24D with the smaller rectangular windows.

http://www.ironmodeler.com
"Model building is nothing more than a series of problem-solving exercises." -- Me