Ok, while we're talking shootin irons, who made the range over the 4th of July weekend so far

Ok, while we're talking shootin irons, who made the range over the 4th of July weekend so far

July 6th, 2018, 12:28 pm #1

I've been off work all so I've been pistol shooting at my local indoor range twice and to the rifle range once (weekend ain't over yet).

Pistol range I've been concentrating on this

"Tisa" BR9. It's a Turkish made Browning Hi Power clone that just hit the US market this past year, in the $500 buck range. Browning/FN stopped production of Hi Powers early this year so prices on used ones (I have 3 here) have gone through the roof. I was wanting a  2nd "shooter" Hi Power type pistol and so far this is fitting the bill nicely

Trigger is a tad stiff (it's a HP) but working in. Funny thing is the clone has better factory sights than any "real" HP I've ever owned.

Yesterday I did the rifle range, zeroed a new optic on this 1st

AR 15 "build", Bravo Company 14.5 "Socom" I did this year. I've been building AR's for a few years now and gotten into the habit of building one, shooting it a few thousand rounds then selling it for about what I have in it and building a new one. Since I always use quality parts my used AR's are still better than most "off the rack" entry level rifles.

Also took this old girl

M-1 Carbine. I own 2 of them now, this one I bought end of last year as a "shooter" to keep the round count down on my "good" CMP bought one.

It's a "import" marked one but so far shoots great, I get 1" groups bench resting at 50 yards dead center with it. Always liked Carbines, I've owned several over the years and could buy 1 more if I found a decent USGI one at a decent price

Any one else shoot this week ? 

July 6th, 2018, 2:38 pm #2

I did too. But it's not really fair because I'm at the range every weekend, unless I'm traveling. Heck, I do go to the range two three times during the week just because it has a lot to do with my job.  So ....

And yes, I do have one of TISA 1911 in .45.  For what it is worth, I'm impressed with this gun. $327.00 out the door, functioned perfectly straight from the box.  I did put some TLC into it and now she runs like a champ. Great deal it was.
Dialing in my AR in .300 Blackout. I really like this caliber, so much possibilities from AR platform.
Fun, fun, fun.....

July 10th, 2018, 2:44 am #3

Went to 2 ranges 4 times since the 29th. Plus shot some rabbits and ground squirrels who are overtaking the property.

Shot 120 rounds of 40 out of my Sig P-226 on the 4th and 6th. Best handgun I’ve ever shot.

Zeroed in my optics on my brand new Mossberg MVP LR (308/7.62) on Saturday. Hit the 3” bull at 100 yards on second shot. Got out to 275 yards on 8” steel. Reseated and adjusted optics and shot again on Sunday. After adjusting my scope, I got kissed by the scope between my eyebrows. I had my cheater glasses on and didn’t realize how close I was to the scope. No stick but I am bruised.

This is the first bolt action long range rifle I have ever owned. I’m going to work my way up to 700 yards. I have an M4 that I have put 1000’s of rounds down range, but I gotta say, I like shooting the MVP and keeping a dope book on every round that has gone through the barrel.

BTW, for squirrel and rabbit, I light them up with an M&P .22

I sure am enjoying my new hobby.

July 10th, 2018, 9:46 am #4

A phrase I bet most gun owners know of but if I may?

God may have created man, but Smith and Wesson made man equal. 😄😎

One Youtube channel I visit from time to time  is Hickok45 and his expert  education of firearms and ammo along with his  top notch  shooting of various fire arms is entertaining. The man is a  top rated shooter and most here  may  know he was  a  former FBI guy. I have learned a  good bit about various  long guns, sporting rifles and hand guns from his  videos  and  I admit   jealousy at all the cool firearms  he shoots. For me being a  long fan of Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry movies I enjoyed  Hickok45 videos on the Smith  and Wesson Model 29  .44  Magnum that he said was the type  Harry shot in the movies. If I was an American with your gun rights I'd have to  at one time  buy a Smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum, just for its cool factor and  Dirty Harry reference.

OBTW I like Steven Crowder's parody video of Hickok 45 too, it's a real laugher.😂 I think Steven Crowder mimicked with satire Hickok well and IMO respectfully.

July 10th, 2018, 1:39 pm #5

Hey Gordon, if you ever get around the mid-southeastern part of Illinois just let me know and we will sling some lead and burn some powder. I have been shooting .44 Mags since I was 9 years old thanks to my father. I have a Model 29 .44 with around 20,000 rounds through it  and another one with 4 inch barrel that has had about 10,000 put down the barrel I pack in the woods and river bottoms. Being a bullet caster and handloader allows a person to afford a lot of shooting. A good friend of mine that lived outside Salmon Idaho who passed away in January 2012 was a Class 3 machinegun dealer and also had a Destructive Weapons license which allowed him to deal and operate the "big" stuff. By big stuff I mean he had a 40 m.m. Bofors on the patio behind his house and made arrangements with his neighbor who was a rancher to shoot targets in the ranchers field a mile away. I'll save the rest for the time we may get together. All the best, Don.

July 10th, 2018, 10:05 pm #6

Hi Don.

Hey thanks for the invite, not sure if it would happen but yeah if life has me ever come  your way, it would be a blast to shoot stuff  with you. But if/until then please do some Dirty Harry stuff with that model 29 .44 Magnum. Maybe  quote that did he shoot five or maybe six line. Maybe print off as a target   that puke psycho killer in the first Dirty  Harry movie  and shoot   it up  for me . LOL.

July 11th, 2018, 2:43 am #7

Gordon, did you know that Andy Robinson who played Scorpio in the first Dirty Harry actually received death threats over it? Guess he did a pretty good job.

July 11th, 2018, 9:08 am #8

Wow I did not know that, but yes his character was superbly played in the Movie. I mean he nailed  being a psycho down pat. I doubt any person watching that movie was upset on how Dirty Harry finished him off.

But from the opening sequences:

Dirty Harry, "Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Punk Bank Robber: "Hey, I gots to know."

Harry pulls the trigger of his .44 and nothing, all out of bullets, as he smiles  and walks away and the Punk Bank Robber says, "Son of a *itch."

July 11th, 2018, 2:01 pm #9

Clearly the gun toting moron who had to fire off tracer rounds made it. And started a massive fire in Colorado.
Responsible gun ownership. BS!
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/fire-con ... fle-range/
"I have learned to hate all traitors, and there is no disease that I spit on more than treachery."
Aeschylus