OH Boy!! stacked and real purty!!, Can't wait to board her........

OH Boy!! stacked and real purty!!, Can't wait to board her........

June 23rd, 2012, 12:55 am #1

We'll that got your attention. USS Iowa docked in San Pedro. She looks New!! Shot today from across the street. Their still working on the parking lot. (directly in front of her) no hiking a mile.
About a half mile away is the USS Lane Victory. Boy this is going to be good. JD Hobby is just around the corner from here. Looks like a guy might find happiness in San Pedro. Pics shot today.

California Steve....... pics..

June 23rd, 2012, 4:27 am #2

They have big plans, but limited funds as usual, and that primo land is big bucks for development, not some old musty military museum....

http://www.ftmac.org/

June 23rd, 2012, 5:10 am #3

The USS Ohio,
The USS Lane Victory, Fully restored liberty ship.
Ports 'O Call,
Fort MacArthur,
The Maritime Museum,
The Queen Mary across the harbor.
And in San Pedro they even have a really funky motorcycle shop that you can rent classic motorcycles by the hour!
And a hobby shop.
And some class A+ hotels across the big bridge at Long Beach.
Then you can drive Pacific Coast Hwy. South for about a half hour and be in Huntington Beach!! Whew!!

Call Me California Steve anyday!! Ha! Ha!! Too much fun!!!
Last edited by steven9 on June 23rd, 2012, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2012, 7:09 am #4

For the true natives (and I am talkin about the Yugoslavs, Greeks, Italians, Filipinos, Samoams, Mexicans etc.)

It is not San Pay-drow. It is not Sahn Pay-drow, nor is it San Peed-ro it is just...........

PEED RO

BTW Stevo, My father in law was a Master SGT in charge of one of the 14 inchers at Fort Mac from the fall of 1940 till Mid 1942.

Before the war. the Army would announce the practice firing of one tube once a month, usually on a Sunday. Everyone in Palos Verdes, Wilmington and Peedro was forewarned. This gave everyone a chance to open their windows so the concussion wouldn't break every glass window within a couple miles.

In early 1942 the battery captain ordered his gun crew to fire at what he thought was a japanese sub. My father in law argued that there was no way in hell that they could spot a sub's periscope that was 12 mile out. He did not win the argument and a round was fired into the Catalina channel. It broke many windows on the southwest side of the city.

Master SGT Zeisler was a docent at FT MacArthur for many years. He passed away in 1999.

Mike Witous

S.F.

Visit us at: http://www.meetup.com/TemValModClub/
Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit
Last edited by witous on June 24th, 2012, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2012, 3:19 pm #5

How ya doing Buddy? I wish I had had the chance to meet your father in law. The storys must have been great.

Maybe I'll see you on deck in Pedro some day. Talk about a neet club outing.

Steve
Last edited by steven9 on June 23rd, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2012, 3:19 pm #6

We'll that got your attention. USS Iowa docked in San Pedro. She looks New!! Shot today from across the street. Their still working on the parking lot. (directly in front of her) no hiking a mile.
About a half mile away is the USS Lane Victory. Boy this is going to be good. JD Hobby is just around the corner from here. Looks like a guy might find happiness in San Pedro. Pics shot today.

California Steve....... pics..
somebody was gonna say it! Thanks for the pictures. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

June 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm #7

Phone camera.. You know the more you look. It looks like some guy shoved a model ship up against his HO train layout.

But who would do a thing like that???

Steve

June 23rd, 2012, 4:59 pm #8

Naval Pattern Camo

Mike Witous

S.F.

Visit us at: http://www.meetup.com/TemValModClub/
Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

June 23rd, 2012, 5:25 pm #9

Phone camera.. You know the more you look. It looks like some guy shoved a model ship up against his HO train layout.

But who would do a thing like that???

Steve
i.e. the "spectrum" just like in an Impressionist painting can be seen in differing measure throughout the photos. Shows that the Impressionists knew what they were doing. FWIW no criticism was meant. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

June 23rd, 2012, 5:42 pm #10

dropped acid before I took the photos!! Yuck! Yuck!!

Now Kids, Don't do drugs! At least don't do drugs and use your phone camera at the same time.

When it is open. I will be bringing a proper camera.

I hope it is as visitor friendly as the USS Midway in San Diego.

Steve