OBD readers for fixing cars..

OBD readers for fixing cars..

February 26th, 2012, 4:47 pm #1

Well, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy and OBD Reader for my toolbox. The Audi A8L is going to need some work done to it. The transmission is exhibiting some shuddering (I hope that it just needs a fluid change) and I need to read the codes from the the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). I cannot afford a Volkswagen Audi Group code reader. I was wondering if any of the others out there might be able to do the job. I'm expecting to have to pay at least $150-200 for one that will fit the bill.

Any suggestions? Larry Nonis, I'm sure you're assistance would come in handy right now...

Cheers,
Dave

February 26th, 2012, 4:58 pm #2

but are more feature packed than the generics, OTC makes most of the common aftermarket ones, (sold by tool cos.) I think I read they are basically the same, google it, (not being a smart ***, just don't know specifics) that's what I did as I need one for my truck, and I don't know which one to get either! It depends I guess if you just need to read the codes, or you need to do some serious diagnostics. I'm afraid mine needs the later.

Old Digger Pilot

February 26th, 2012, 5:24 pm #3

I've Googled my *** off over the past couple of days on this thing. The VAG scanners are EXPENSIVE.... The car I'm needing it for is an 03 Audi A8L and it has TWO, count'em TWO, computers. One for the engine (ECU) and the transmission (TCU). According to what I've been able to find, the two function the same and should be readable from an OBD scanner.

I'm not going to get one of those cheapie things that just reads the codes. I want some that will give me details. The code reader that I had my friend use a couple of weeks ago to help me track down the misfiring cylinder (turned out to be a cracked spark plug) was a nice one you can get at Advance Auto. It was a couple of hundred dollars. I didn't notice if it had a USB connection though. The ones with the USB connection can be connected to your PC so you can print out the codes among other neat things..

I guess I'm going to be learning all about OBD in the next few days..

Cheers,
Dave

February 26th, 2012, 9:09 pm #4

not sure but from what I've seen/read they don't. i'm gonna look it up on the Snap-On site, that might be an option, also Matco, and Mac Tools.

Old Digger Pilot

February 26th, 2012, 9:30 pm #5

Well, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy and OBD Reader for my toolbox. The Audi A8L is going to need some work done to it. The transmission is exhibiting some shuddering (I hope that it just needs a fluid change) and I need to read the codes from the the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). I cannot afford a Volkswagen Audi Group code reader. I was wondering if any of the others out there might be able to do the job. I'm expecting to have to pay at least $150-200 for one that will fit the bill.

Any suggestions? Larry Nonis, I'm sure you're assistance would come in handy right now...

Cheers,
Dave
And it has USB capability. But looking in the operators manual, it does not mention import vehicles, however, it does claim to be applicable to all vehicles built since 1996. HTH, Joel.

February 26th, 2012, 10:20 pm #6

Cheers,
Dave
will talk tomorrow!
Larry @ AUDI

February 26th, 2012, 11:31 pm #7

And it has USB capability. But looking in the operators manual, it does not mention import vehicles, however, it does claim to be applicable to all vehicles built since 1996. HTH, Joel.
It had a USB connection on it. I might get that one and test it. If it works on my car's TCU, great. If not, I'll just give it to Dad so he can use it on his stuff.

Cheers,
Dave

February 26th, 2012, 11:44 pm #8

will talk tomorrow!
Larry @ AUDI
I'm kind of on a shoe string budget until I get a few paychecks under my belt.. Also, ask your techs about trans problem and get their opinion on it.

Here's what's happening. It started shuttering a bit when shifting a couple of days ago.. My wife drives the car most of the time so.. I've driven it a couple of times to get a sense of what it's doing. Most of the time it's a slight shutter. Even in Drive (5th) at speed. Also when I'm stopped at a traffic light, idling, I can feel the trans "grab" (like it's locking up a clutch pack) for a half second and release. From what I can tell, the trans has not gone into LIMP mode but I'm not really sure what to look for. Does it light up ALL of the gear indicators at the shift lever or does it do it on the dash indicator?

As far as I know, the transmission fluid has never been changed. At least I can find a record of it with the car's documentation. I plan on changing the fluid as a first step in assessing whether this thing is going to be parked until I can afford a $3000+ transmission rebuild.. It's currently parked anyway as I'm making her drive her old 5000 for the interim...

But, I'd like to read the codes of the TCU before plunking down $130 for fluid (that stuff is $10 a liter) and a filter/pan gasket set.

Cheers,
Dave

February 27th, 2012, 4:50 am #9

Cheers,
Dave
AutoZone has a good one you can borrow, leave a deposit that you get all back. However, if I had to buy one, I would get a PC based one that I could update and get downloads.

February 27th, 2012, 3:03 pm #10

I'm kind of on a shoe string budget until I get a few paychecks under my belt.. Also, ask your techs about trans problem and get their opinion on it.

Here's what's happening. It started shuttering a bit when shifting a couple of days ago.. My wife drives the car most of the time so.. I've driven it a couple of times to get a sense of what it's doing. Most of the time it's a slight shutter. Even in Drive (5th) at speed. Also when I'm stopped at a traffic light, idling, I can feel the trans "grab" (like it's locking up a clutch pack) for a half second and release. From what I can tell, the trans has not gone into LIMP mode but I'm not really sure what to look for. Does it light up ALL of the gear indicators at the shift lever or does it do it on the dash indicator?

As far as I know, the transmission fluid has never been changed. At least I can find a record of it with the car's documentation. I plan on changing the fluid as a first step in assessing whether this thing is going to be parked until I can afford a $3000+ transmission rebuild.. It's currently parked anyway as I'm making her drive her old 5000 for the interim...

But, I'd like to read the codes of the TCU before plunking down $130 for fluid (that stuff is $10 a liter) and a filter/pan gasket set.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave......................e/mail me. Have info. n.t