Not trying to be the least bit controversial here,,,,,,,,,,,

Not trying to be the least bit controversial here,,,,,,,,,,,

May 6th, 2012, 10:01 pm #1

Just my humble opinion. I have noticed over the last several months that there have been some utterly fantastic work done on some exceptional dioramas. SOme real top shelf work.
Now here comes the critique part. Big pet peave of mine when I see a diorama that is well executed, in its quality and craftsmanship, but simply does not fit on the base. Wings, tank barrels hanging over the sides of the base ? Why not just build the base larger to accomodate the scene you are trying to depict ? I know that makes it more difficult for display , but even at 12" X 12" your going to have trouble with display anyways. The idea is that you are trying to recreate a specific scene. Scale and realism are compromised if within the confines of that scene, the scene goes " off the page "

Just my 2 cents. Open for discussion of course, but I dont wish to by any means impune anyones work. Again I want to stress that I have seen some magnificant diorams of late. ANd this is just my opinion,,,,,,,,,,,, : ) Keep up the great work boys !!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by jrfox21 on May 6th, 2012, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 10:41 pm #2

Some of the vignettes(Sp?) and dioramas that you describe are done that way on purpose.

Cheers

Scott G

May 6th, 2012, 11:47 pm #3

Just my humble opinion. I have noticed over the last several months that there have been some utterly fantastic work done on some exceptional dioramas. SOme real top shelf work.
Now here comes the critique part. Big pet peave of mine when I see a diorama that is well executed, in its quality and craftsmanship, but simply does not fit on the base. Wings, tank barrels hanging over the sides of the base ? Why not just build the base larger to accomodate the scene you are trying to depict ? I know that makes it more difficult for display , but even at 12" X 12" your going to have trouble with display anyways. The idea is that you are trying to recreate a specific scene. Scale and realism are compromised if within the confines of that scene, the scene goes " off the page "

Just my 2 cents. Open for discussion of course, but I dont wish to by any means impune anyones work. Again I want to stress that I have seen some magnificant diorams of late. ANd this is just my opinion,,,,,,,,,,,, : ) Keep up the great work boys !!!!!!!!!!
To show a partial diorama where the main subject carries over the edges in my humble opinion is just one artistic approach to the subject vs. a platform that is large enough to cover beyond the entire main subject.

I will hold my opinion as to what I prefer as it is up to each individual diorama. I have seen both ways that I really like. In the situations where the builder does more of a partial vs. larger I think it implies and leads the viewer to fill in the blanks. In that approach I think that it also forces the viewer to see the main subject matter is really the true focus of the diorama, ie Aircraft, as opposed to the base, background, platform.

Just my thoughts.......
Ken

May 6th, 2012, 11:59 pm #4

The old way of doing dioramas 30 years ago was to have a big square base and whatever you wanted to have on it centered in the middle. Plenty of room all around (even dead space) and nothing overhanging the edges.

Nowdays bases are often smaller but taller and more pedestal like. The height is not just in the base itself but in the groundwork. Vehicles and figures are put on at angles and may extend past the confines of the base. In general this is much more dramatic but I am not wild about it sometimes either. I also do not like the current trend of cropping a model in half so you have something weird like the front half of a tank or the tail half of an airplane as if some big laser sliced them in half.

May 7th, 2012, 1:19 am #5

It just looks odd to me too when parts of the aircraft/vehicle/whatever are hanging out past the scene edges; I much prefer everything to be within them.

May 7th, 2012, 2:21 am #6

If I ever start doing dio's I'll do them the way I like and let others do the same.

May 7th, 2012, 4:00 am #7

of dead/empty space approach.

First noticed the larger than base 'school' many yrs ago w/ figure modellers. A guy on horseback, flag standard, lance, horse's rearing ft legs, a bit over tha base's edge.

But those too beg some clod to bump a wing or sword tip w/ his five thumbed, chubby, holding a corn dog, hand.

May 7th, 2012, 4:11 am #8

What you think looks "ugly", obviously looks good to the builder of the diorama. Or else they would not have done it that way. Personally, I like both styles. Some men prefer blondes, and some men prefer redheads, it's all just a matter of personal taste. Just like the way I build my dioramas.

May 7th, 2012, 4:59 am #9

because I happen to like how it looks. I don't think it compromises either the scale or realism.

Mike
Last edited by maxfinn on May 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 5:03 am #10

The old way of doing dioramas 30 years ago was to have a big square base and whatever you wanted to have on it centered in the middle. Plenty of room all around (even dead space) and nothing overhanging the edges.

Nowdays bases are often smaller but taller and more pedestal like. The height is not just in the base itself but in the groundwork. Vehicles and figures are put on at angles and may extend past the confines of the base. In general this is much more dramatic but I am not wild about it sometimes either. I also do not like the current trend of cropping a model in half so you have something weird like the front half of a tank or the tail half of an airplane as if some big laser sliced them in half.
And is most often used by the figure modelers/painters. It gives them a way of putting their figures into context without overwhelming the figure, or having to build the whole model (which isn't really what a lot of those guys are into in the first place).

I've also seen it used to very good effect in a full on diorama to bring focus to the primary subject, and also save space.

Mike