Nose weight req'd for Airfix Vulcan?

Nose weight req'd for Airfix Vulcan?

April 27th, 2012, 2:00 am #1

Does anybody know if the Airfix Avro Vulcan requires weights in the nose section to sit correctly on the undercarriage? If so, how much? I have already closed it up partly but I can still add fishing weights quite easily, if necessary. Any insights or experiences you might have would be much appreciated.

April 27th, 2012, 2:14 am #2

I built the kit years ago and hung the K conversion white metal HDU on the tail cone. With no weight in the nose, it just barely balance. I'd say that if you don't add any extra weight behind the main gear, you'd be safe. But then agaiin, a little weight in the radome wouldn't hurt.

Jim

April 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm #3

I have scratchbuilt the bomb bay. I think I will add that nose weight to be sure. I appreciate your insights. Do you have pics of your Vulcan? I would love to see how it turned out. I had a heck of a job with the intakes and general fit of the wings but I have solved most issues to my satisfaction so far.

Colin

April 27th, 2012, 5:56 pm #4

Colin,

Yes, it' a real treat of a kit to build!I spent a lot of time on the intakes and replaced the exhausts with brass tube. Also removed the elevons and sanded them down to sharpen up the trailing edges and I rescribed the beast. I'll have to take some pictures -- had some but can't find them! She's also lost her IFR probe, so I'll have to come up with something there.

Jim

April 28th, 2012, 9:22 am #5

Does anybody know if the Airfix Avro Vulcan requires weights in the nose section to sit correctly on the undercarriage? If so, how much? I have already closed it up partly but I can still add fishing weights quite easily, if necessary. Any insights or experiences you might have would be much appreciated.
Just to make sure it would sit on the nose I used either 2* 3/16oz fishing weights, or one 45 cal bullet.

As for the scribing, I have stood right next to several Vulcans in the museums in Britain, including the one in the RAF museum and other than a few access panels that are not too well defined I could not see any panel lines at all. I guess that if you require lots of extra work to make your model look pretty but not accurate, have fun. On the real airplane the joint lines are filled in to cause less drag.

April 28th, 2012, 5:48 pm #6

Colin,

Yes, it' a real treat of a kit to build!I spent a lot of time on the intakes and replaced the exhausts with brass tube. Also removed the elevons and sanded them down to sharpen up the trailing edges and I rescribed the beast. I'll have to take some pictures -- had some but can't find them! She's also lost her IFR probe, so I'll have to come up with something there.

Jim
inboard, between, and immediately outboard of the engines.

The elevons and elevators were at least 4 inches thick at the trailing edges. So be a little careful in this area.

Cheers,

Derek of Toronto OFE

April 29th, 2012, 5:29 pm #7

Thanks for that clarification. I always appreciate the precision and detail of your comments.

April 29th, 2012, 5:32 pm #8

Colin,

Jim
It's great to get some inspiration from a fellow craftsman and Vulcan fan.

April 29th, 2012, 5:37 pm #9

Just to make sure it would sit on the nose I used either 2* 3/16oz fishing weights, or one 45 cal bullet.

As for the scribing, I have stood right next to several Vulcans in the museums in Britain, including the one in the RAF museum and other than a few access panels that are not too well defined I could not see any panel lines at all. I guess that if you require lots of extra work to make your model look pretty but not accurate, have fun. On the real airplane the joint lines are filled in to cause less drag.
I'm trying to keep the engraved lines as subtle as possible. I have noticed in close-ups of weathered in-service birds that the panel lines do show a bit but, you are right, they are very subtle to the point of vanishing. I always go with the less is more philosophy in weathering, anyway.