Nose-Art Question: P-38 California Cutie

Nose-Art Question: P-38 California Cutie

November 18th, 2009, 12:13 am #1

The decals I have for this aircraft show the towel covering the woman is blue in color.

Picture of the aircraft (googled) shows the towel is white.

Which one would you guys go with?

Andy
Last edited by Kaibutsu on November 18th, 2009, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaibutsu --- Andrew Gaitan

November 18th, 2009, 12:56 am #2

There are two photos in the Squadron book on the 20th FG. Both are B&W, but in the clearest shot, the towel does not look to me to be white. Doesn't mean it was blue, but I wouldn't personally go white.
Mike

November 18th, 2009, 1:17 am #3

The decals I have for this aircraft show the towel covering the woman is blue in color.

Andy
For some reason I'm under the impression that the towel's white with three blue stripes at the ends, you know, like classy old towels were. If it were a solid color I might've mistaken it for a robe or something, but I knew it was a towel, which makes me think it had stripes.

I tried hunting for wartime pictures bit I couldn't find anything. If I do, I'll post it here.

John

November 18th, 2009, 1:28 am #4

Andy
The only color photos of "California Cutie" that I am aware of are of a restored P-38 Warbird.

For instance:

I don't know if the towel on the real California Cutie was actually white or blue, but if accuracy matters to you, then don't rely on restored aircraft to determine the color(s) of the nose art.

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

November 18th, 2009, 3:04 am #5

Restorations are about as dependable as color profiles, or somebody else's model because basically, that's exactly what they are, someone else's "interpretation" and that's ASSUMING that THEY were trying to be historically correct.

John

November 18th, 2009, 10:24 am #6

Andy
Andy,

The two color photos I have of the original California Cutie nose art show the towel to be a very light blue with a yellow frilled bottom to it. They are copyrighted so I don't know if it would be okay to post them here. Which decals do you have and what scale are we talking about? Superscale did a set in 1/48 which had the wrong serial number on the vertical fin (if CC ever had one there with the white triangle) and the towel was dark blue. Aeromaster had/has a set with no serial number for vertical fin but wrong s/n on aircraft data plate. Towel is a lighter blue.

Tom
Last edited by TomCalbury on November 18th, 2009, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 18th, 2009, 4:08 pm #7

You could e-mail them directly to Andrew, that should be OK, I think??? I'm not a lawyer but there's a few of them around here, maybe they can weigh in on this...I think selling it (like including them in a new book without permission) is where you'd really get into some big trouble. Posting copyrighted material here might be an "iffy" one too because of the ads, as there's money involved however indirectly, but maybe information sharing for reference use only is OK...I dunno. One HS lawyer posts copyrighted pictures here all the time, so maybe it's not a problem.

Is there a lawyer in the house???

John

November 18th, 2009, 5:40 pm #8

I'm not a lawyer but there's at least two of them on this forum. But they may not be copyright lawyers...

Anyway, look up "fair use". The fair use of copyrighted material in the U.S. (determined by 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A) says that four tests need to be done prior to use:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

All of this is subject to interpretation and my reading on the subject leads me to believe that posting anybody else's work on the net and saying "fair use" puts you in a gray area of the law. If money is involved you are probably wrong, but if there's no money involved it gets much trickier to sort out. Most people on this forum would probably argue the material has educational purpose.

Feel free to consult legal counsel....

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)