Northrup A17 Anti-Glare Panel

Northrup A17 Anti-Glare Panel

June 13th, 2012, 7:57 pm #1

Gentlemen:

Does anyone have info as to whether or not the blue fuselage/yellow wing/fixed landing gear A-17 had a dull finish anti glare panel forward of the cockpit? I have a number of pics of this a/c but nothing to show this for sure.

I would think so, as the high gloss paint would certainly present glare problems.....

Anyone with info or a definitive picture? Mike West to the rescue???
Thanks in advance!

Joe Frazier

June 13th, 2012, 9:21 pm #2

but, maybe try looking for "Northrop" vice "Northrup?" I don't know if that's how you did your online search or not, but it could make a difference.
I'm not seeing a flat finish on any of the photos on the USAFM site:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsh ... sp?id=2922

In fact, photo 15 seems to show a distinctly glossy finish forward of the windscreen.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

June 13th, 2012, 9:25 pm #3

Gentlemen:

Does anyone have info as to whether or not the blue fuselage/yellow wing/fixed landing gear A-17 had a dull finish anti glare panel forward of the cockpit? I have a number of pics of this a/c but nothing to show this for sure.

I would think so, as the high gloss paint would certainly present glare problems.....

Thanks in advance!

Joe Frazier
As far as the fixed-gear A-17 goes, no signs of an anti-glare panel, and in fact a right-above photo shows some glare in the area just ahead of the windscreen. The A-17A, of course, did have an anti-glare panel, maybe as a result of experience with the earleir version.

June 13th, 2012, 11:10 pm #4

Gentlemen:

Thanks in advance!

Joe Frazier
On any of the photos I have . As Jim says, seen on the A model later.

Mike
Last edited by ResinPrince on June 13th, 2012, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 14th, 2012, 2:50 am #5

Gentlemen:

Thanks in advance!

Joe Frazier
Thanks Guys.... Now I can put the finishing touches on my model!

Appreciate the information. This website is an endless source of good material!

Joe