No modelling for a while, and not much of anything else

No modelling for a while, and not much of anything else

May 27th, 2012, 7:37 am #1

My depth perception is all out of whack, because I really have the use of only one eye at the moment.
I recently experienced, out of the blue, a detached retina. It has been repaired, but the eye is filled with a gas bubble, to keep the retina pressed up against the inside of the eye while healing takes place.
This makes the vision very blurred and "watery".
Essentially useless except for percieving light, and dark.
In addition, I have to remain upright (even while sleeping)... I sleep sitting up .... in order to keep the gas bubble in the correct place ....... No bending over, or lying flat! PITA!!

Apparently it takes from 8 to 15 days for the gas to be absorbed, and proper vision to return ..... 10 days to go!

Apparently it's an age related thing>>>> Ageing is not for sissies

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

May 27th, 2012, 9:52 am #2

Good luck Gavin - you're right about age, you need the stamina of youth for it, n/t

May 27th, 2012, 9:58 am #3

Thanks Malcolm you are so right! nt

May 27th, 2012, 10:59 am #4

My depth perception is all out of whack, because I really have the use of only one eye at the moment.
I recently experienced, out of the blue, a detached retina. It has been repaired, but the eye is filled with a gas bubble, to keep the retina pressed up against the inside of the eye while healing takes place.
In addition, I have to remain upright (even while sleeping)... I sleep sitting up .... in order to keep the gas bubble in the correct place ....... No bending over, or lying flat! PITA!!

Apparently it takes from 8 to 15 days for the gas to be absorbed, and proper vision to return ..... 10 days to go!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi
And though I'm not yet blessed with your age, I'm heading into the difficult zone as well. I wear glasses (to help me see far), but lately I have to put them off while modelling, to have a good close vision, I didn't have to do this for the past 30 years or so... I intend to see the eye doctor soon

And as a good friend of me always says : while getting old you're put up with many things, except hair and teeth

You can use the time to think about a neat project that will help you through the winter when vision is back to normal

Sterkte bij het recht op slapen & de beste wensen !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 27th, 2012, 12:53 pm #5

I am not so sure about the hair and teeth.
I could manage without hair or teeth .... beer and soup are fine!

Take care, and keep well!

May 27th, 2012, 1:14 pm #6

Gavin, you have all my sympathy, I have also problems with my eyes. I hope it will improve soon. In the meanwhile, take it easy and have a good mental attitude to your healing, it helps. I find that the best replacement for real modeling is to whatch the posts here on Hyperscale. From my side, I will try my best to keep you interested!
Greetings,
Daniele

May 27th, 2012, 2:13 pm #7

and i read most of the forums. but the airfix one is the best!!

keep up the good work.
I hope to be building again soon.
In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy all the wonderful builds that other members post!!!

Take care of your eyes!!

Regards
Last edited by touristguide on May 27th, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm #8

even when not modelling is a great passtime
Cheers
Luiogi

May 27th, 2012, 4:33 pm #9

Best of luck with the recovery of your eye. It must at least be a small consolation that it is a temporary condition. It does of course give you plenty of time to plan the next attack on your stash (you know... "Always look on the braight sahite of laif, lala, lalala lala...).

Come back in strength!

All the best,

May 27th, 2012, 5:02 pm #10

even when not modelling is a great passtime
Cheers
Luiogi
Thanks Luigi, I can still read HS.. see my reply to Daniele, above nt