NiD-622, Heller/Smer

NiD-622, Heller/Smer

May 23rd, 2012, 12:17 am #1

Well, it's finally done...

I spent way too much time on this kit, compounded by stupid mistakes, moves, and other hair-pulling situations.

As you may recall from previous posts, the Smer decals shattered, and I had to piece them together. I received the Azur kit as a gift, and I scrounged decals from those to augment the Smer atrocities (to be fair, it was probably all my fault). I still plan to build the Azur kit, but as an Army machine with a stalking panther fuselage art. The Azur decals were very fine, but tended to fold over, causing more cursing. I managed, for the most part.

You may also notice that I lost a piece in the middle of photographing. I didn't spot it until I got home...grrrrrr. I swear, models are never finished, they're abandoned.

For the first time, I'm photographing with a base. It was an enjoyable process, and I hope to make more, and even do backdrops for flying scenes.

Anyway, here it is. As always, please critique so I can improve!

As a bonus, here's my old Ki-51 on the new base:

May 23rd, 2012, 12:50 am #2

on this old classic. And a very attractive scheme with the grey-green uppers, light grey unders and huge national markings! I had no idea that it was also operated by the Aeronavale.

I give up: Comparing the photos I just can't se which part you lost?

Like your Ki too - what kit is that?

May 23rd, 2012, 1:20 am #3

I spent way too much time on this kit, compounded by stupid mistakes, moves, and other hair-pulling situations.

As you may recall from previous posts, the Smer decals shattered, and I had to piece them together. I received the Azur kit as a gift, and I scrounged decals from those to augment the Smer atrocities (to be fair, it was probably all my fault). I still plan to build the Azur kit, but as an Army machine with a stalking panther fuselage art. The Azur decals were very fine, but tended to fold over, causing more cursing. I managed, for the most part.

You may also notice that I lost a piece in the middle of photographing. I didn't spot it until I got home...grrrrrr. I swear, models are never finished, they're abandoned.

For the first time, I'm photographing with a base. It was an enjoyable process, and I hope to make more, and even do backdrops for flying scenes.

Man, you really nailed this kit. I started one a few years ago and finally gave up because I couldn't find a decent set of replacement decals. But you persevered - and the results are terrific. A beautiful build and great photos!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

May 23rd, 2012, 2:34 am #4

on this old classic. And a very attractive scheme with the grey-green uppers, light grey unders and huge national markings! I had no idea that it was also operated by the Aeronavale.

I give up: Comparing the photos I just can't se which part you lost?

Like your Ki too - what kit is that?

The parts in question are the control linkages which originate in the cockpit and connect to the underside of the top wing. They are visible in the first photo, but disappear after that. I guess I have to make new ones...

The Ki-51 is the old Mania kit, boxed by Hasegawa as a training aircraft. They've also released operational versions in a double-pack.

Thanks again for the reply.

May 23rd, 2012, 2:35 am #5

May 23rd, 2012, 11:09 am #6

I love inter-war French aircraft, and you sure did a beautiful job on this one. (And I sympathize about disappearing parts--happens to me too.) Good looking Sonia too!

Stuart

May 23rd, 2012, 7:43 pm #7

Well done!

Tim Mixon
Tim Mixon

May 23rd, 2012, 9:29 pm #8

I love how the struts go through the lower wing down to the landing gear fairing. Must be an increadibly strong design. Nice markings!

May 23rd, 2012, 11:27 pm #9

On some versions, the lower wing was removed to facilitate parachute tests. It does seem very sturdy though.

May 23rd, 2012, 11:30 pm #10

Well done!
Thank you :)