Nice WWII photographer's portfolio

Nice WWII photographer's portfolio

March 31st, 2012, 7:07 pm #1

March 31st, 2012, 8:09 pm #2

Didn't want it to end. The sharpness and clarity of 4x5 chromes is hard to beat. Would have liked a picture of the rear cockpit area of P-47 OD razorback. Thanks for the link, Dave.

March 31st, 2012, 11:41 pm #3

http://www.shorpy.com/Large_Format_Kodachromes

Which the original article links....Sweet stuff thanks for sharing!
Rob

April 1st, 2012, 4:36 am #4

These photos have been making the rounds lately on this pavel-kosenko site, and Shorpy. At least Shorpy credits the actual source: The Office of War Information and the Farm Security Administration. These collections reside in the Library of Congress.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/

"Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The pictures focus on rural areas and farm labor, as well as aspects of World War II mobilization, including factories, railroads, aviation training, and women working.

The original images are color transparencies ranging in size from 35 mm. to 4x5 inches. They complement the better-known black-and-white FSA/OWI photographs, made during the same period [view information about the black-and-white FSA/OWI photographs].

The Library of Congress is sharing the FSA/OWI Color Photographs on Flickr, where Flickr community members add comments, notes, and tags. [ View FSA/OWI Color Photographs on Flickr | View more information about this project]."

High-resolution TIFFs are available for download from the LOC website.

As an aside, I am very grateful that the Federal Government employed these photographers to capture these images which have become an extremely valuable record of life before and during WWII.

April 1st, 2012, 5:29 am #5

which is an excellent source for vintage photos in numerous categories, and they're all excellent, hi-rez, and down-loadable.

Thanks for the reminder, David.

Cal C

April 1st, 2012, 5:40 am #6

Shorpy does a good job of gathering, editing, and presenting these photos, and they do point out that the actual source of most of the photos on their is the Library of Congress. So I don't have a problem with what they do, and besides, the photos are in the public domain. But I'm a photo researcher by profession, and I like to know where they really came from.
Last edited by Don_Kiyoti on April 1st, 2012, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.