Nice color of P-47 ETO

Nice color of P-47 ETO

May 2nd, 2012, 3:55 pm #1

May 2nd, 2012, 3:59 pm #2

May 2nd, 2012, 4:01 pm #3

May 2nd, 2012, 4:03 pm #4

May 2nd, 2012, 4:15 pm #5

May 2nd, 2012, 4:33 pm #6

That looks like gray under the glass again!!!!

A war weary jug that probably started life in natural metal.

Why is it so hard for some people to accept as possible that the exterior was painted dark green or olive drab and then someone said - "well, the camo is nice except for all that big shiny metal under the canopy glass." And so the canopy was removed and the area was painted neutral gray.

Regardless, if it was olive drab that faded to look exactly like neutral gray, or oxidized aluminum that chalked to look exactly like neutral gray - shouldn't it be painted what it LOOKS LIKE - neutral gray?

May 2nd, 2012, 4:37 pm #7

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

May 2nd, 2012, 4:57 pm #8

That looks like gray under the glass again!!!!

A war weary jug that probably started life in natural metal.

Why is it so hard for some people to accept as possible that the exterior was painted dark green or olive drab and then someone said - "well, the camo is nice except for all that big shiny metal under the canopy glass." And so the canopy was removed and the area was painted neutral gray.

Regardless, if it was olive drab that faded to look exactly like neutral gray, or oxidized aluminum that chalked to look exactly like neutral gray - shouldn't it be painted what it LOOKS LIKE - neutral gray?
It looks like in this case it's an airframe that left the factory in OD and got a replacement NMF canopy hood somewhere along the line. I base this hypothesis on the prop; looks to be the original (thin) Curtiss Electric, which was factory installed on the earlier production blocks, when they were more likely to get a spritz of paint before delivery. I know the props were interchangeable, but I haven't seen any evidence of them being changed backwards through the evolution of the options.

Still, you are right that far too much authority is given to documentation when other evidence suggests variations. Photos may definitely mislead. But no more so than 70 year old pieces of paper.

May 2nd, 2012, 5:41 pm #9

Well, At least it doesn't have any rusty roofed Quonset Huts. n/t

May 2nd, 2012, 5:41 pm #10

It looks like in this case it's an airframe that left the factory in OD and got a replacement NMF canopy hood somewhere along the line. I base this hypothesis on the prop; looks to be the original (thin) Curtiss Electric, which was factory installed on the earlier production blocks, when they were more likely to get a spritz of paint before delivery. I know the props were interchangeable, but I haven't seen any evidence of them being changed backwards through the evolution of the options.

Still, you are right that far too much authority is given to documentation when other evidence suggests variations. Photos may definitely mislead. But no more so than 70 year old pieces of paper.
OK, you made me look it up!

42-75855 was a P-47D-16-RE, and the big props came with the 22-RE and the 23-RA