Newbie AMEGB Whirlwind Part 2...Small Progress...

Newbie AMEGB Whirlwind Part 2...Small Progress...

May 17th, 2012, 11:30 am #1

Hi Guys...

With four young kids and little modelling time, progress on this Whirlwind "Whif" might be a tad slow...but there is a bit of fun to report.

The kit cockpit seemed a bit sparse, so a bit of "Gizmology" was required to beef the interior up a bit. Great thing about "What If" modelling...you can make it up as you go along!

Here's the basis of the cockpit so far...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Next, the wheel wells needed a bit of imagination, so this is the start of a bit of extra interest in the gear bays. Undercarriage legs will be a single leg affair..

[/IMG]

As my second Airfix Spit XIX arrived yesterday, I couldn't resist breaking out some more Tamiya tape to bung the thing together to get a better idea of the finished item. As you can see, I'm toying with the idea of using a canopy and rail hacked from a Matchbox Fw-190 to use as the basis of the canopy for the Whirlwind. It does seem to suit it!

Enlarged rudder is from a Matchbox P-47 and the wing mounted radar pod is a spare from an Italeri F4U-5.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm really enjoying this build so far and participating in the group build and watching some of the great skills displayed in other posts. This is a great place to be that, as far as I'm concerned, is what real modelling is all about. Super bunch of folks too! I feel right at home here.

I must also get this beast finished soon as it's been on the go for three years on and off...and it's Airfix of course...

[/IMG]

...And there's plenty of other old classics to choose from too!

[/IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Regards;
Steve
Last edited by fightersweep on May 17th, 2012, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 17th, 2012, 1:22 pm #2

Neat 'whif' idea, I'll be following with interest n/t

May 17th, 2012, 2:58 pm #3

Hi Guys...

With four young kids and little modelling time, progress on this Whirlwind "Whif" might be a tad slow...but there is a bit of fun to report.

The kit cockpit seemed a bit sparse, so a bit of "Gizmology" was required to beef the interior up a bit. Great thing about "What If" modelling...you can make it up as you go along!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Next, the wheel wells needed a bit of imagination, so this is the start of a bit of extra interest in the gear bays. Undercarriage legs will be a single leg affair..

[/IMG]

As my second Airfix Spit XIX arrived yesterday, I couldn't resist breaking out some more Tamiya tape to bung the thing together to get a better idea of the finished item. As you can see, I'm toying with the idea of using a canopy and rail hacked from a Matchbox Fw-190 to use as the basis of the canopy for the Whirlwind. It does seem to suit it!

Enlarged rudder is from a Matchbox P-47 and the wing mounted radar pod is a spare from an Italeri F4U-5.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm really enjoying this build so far and participating in the group build and watching some of the great skills displayed in other posts. This is a great place to be that, as far as I'm concerned, is what real modelling is all about. Super bunch of folks too! I feel right at home here.

I must also get this beast finished soon as it's been on the go for three years on and off...and it's Airfix of course...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Regards;
Steve
Revell 1/72nd scale kits on your to do shelf!!! Mike

May 17th, 2012, 2:58 pm #4

Hi Guys...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Regards;
Steve

May 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm #5

Sorry double post...D@*n fat fingers!!!! N/T

May 17th, 2012, 4:41 pm #6

Yeah! I love these old Revell kits too for some reason. When I collected this bunch, I'd forgotten how many I had built as a kid. I've just finished building the F4U Corsair, which was the first kit I ever tried to paint accurately when I was about 11 years old, and the Fokker D-VII...a kit that used more paint colours than I ever thought possible. I'll post some photo's later in this thread.

Regards;
Steve
Last edited by fightersweep on May 18th, 2012, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 17th, 2012, 6:43 pm #7

Hi Guys...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Regards;
Steve
Tell me that's a shot of a hobby shop. I am jealous.

That thing look so cool with those engines and canopy. I can't wait for the color scheme...

Cheers.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

May 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm #8

Hi Guys...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Regards;
Steve
i would be happy in helping in the disposal of some. Those old matchbox kits are my favorites!
Cheers
Luigi

May 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm #9

Tell me that's a shot of a hobby shop. I am jealous.

That thing look so cool with those engines and canopy. I can't wait for the color scheme...

Cheers.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
That's my nostalgia stash that I've been collecting over the last few years. In a way, it is my own little private hobby shop from my youth where I can lose myself and fondle old plastic! Trouble is, is that I find it hard to build them as I've started to develop a collectors mentality as far as these old kits are concerned.

Thanks for the comments about the Whirlwind...those engines are made for this aircraft. I am beginning to wonder though, if I am attempting to modify an Airfix Whirlwind, or convert the thing into a DH Hornet!

I plan to finish the model in Dark Sea Grey and Sky FAA colours...so I need to work out where to stick the arrestor hook!

Regards;
Steve

May 17th, 2012, 7:02 pm #10

i would be happy in helping in the disposal of some. Those old matchbox kits are my favorites!
Cheers
Luigi
You're most correct. I have too many old kits and admit to having a problem. Does the Betty Ford Clinic have a department for modellers with plastic addiction I wonder?

Those Matchbox kits are lovely. I got the lot from Ebay from a great guy in Italy. All of them are in as new condition. He must have really looked after them.

Regards;
Steve