New Tool 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.IXc~

New Tool 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.IXc~

April 20th, 2012, 12:59 am #1

Here are some pictures of my finished 1/72nd scale Mk.IXc in Johnny Johnson's markings. I built it OOB with the kit decals, and some Superscale upper wing roundels applied on top of the kit roundels, which had a curious, dark ring around them. The model was painted with Tamiya's new RAF acrylic colors, sprayed freehand with my Paasche 'H' airbrush. The finish coat is a mix of Testors clear and flat lacquers, my favorite finish. Panel line washes are oil paint thinned with lighter fluid, for faster drying.

This is a good kit, and naturally I have another on the "To Build" shelf.

All comments solicited and appreciated!

Jacob

Last edited by Bf109nut on April 20th, 2012, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 20th, 2012, 1:55 am #2

I like what you did with the exhaust stacks, and I also really like the satin sheen you have on the finish. Very handsome!

Stuart

April 20th, 2012, 2:09 am #3

Thanks very much for your kind comments! I am finally making my exhausts look more convincing. I have been using Testors gloss and flat lacquers for years, long after switching to acrylics for 95% of my model painting. I mix the Testors flat and gloss lacquers 50/50 and it really works GREAT as a final finish.
Last edited by Bf109nut on April 20th, 2012, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 20th, 2012, 8:35 am #4

Here are some pictures of my finished 1/72nd scale Mk.IXc in Johnny Johnson's markings. I built it OOB with the kit decals, and some Superscale upper wing roundels applied on top of the kit roundels, which had a curious, dark ring around them. The model was painted with Tamiya's new RAF acrylic colors, sprayed freehand with my Paasche 'H' airbrush. The finish coat is a mix of Testors clear and flat lacquers, my favorite finish. Panel line washes are oil paint thinned with lighter fluid, for faster drying.

Jacob

April 20th, 2012, 8:35 am #5

Jacob

April 20th, 2012, 8:42 am #6

Jacob

That's superb work Jason. A very cheering thing to see on a Friday morning! Which scheme will you do next? Happy modelling. JB

April 20th, 2012, 9:51 am #7

Jacob

I'd have ended up with a greenish grey blob if I'd tried that! Do you play tuba?

April 20th, 2012, 1:52 pm #8

Jacob

Model and finish look great BTW.

Cheers, Vic

April 20th, 2012, 2:41 pm #9

I'd have ended up with a greenish grey blob if I'd tried that! Do you play tuba?
Thanks for all the positive feedback on my model-I really appreciate it! I have the Pavla control surface sets (both early and late) and Freightdog's Mk.VIII and early Mk.IX conversion sets, the former to do an RAAF Mk.VIII and the latter for an early Mk.IX with the "lumpy/bumpy" cowling.

The Airfix Mk.IXc kit builds up very well, and although not as detailed as the Hasegawa or CMK kits, it is MUCH cheaper than either. As for the freehand paint I give all credit to Roy Sutherland, who painted his Hasegawa HF. Mk.VII conversion with the same Paasche 'H' airbrush that I use, albeit with significantly better results. I just followed his blog comments, down to using the same new Tamiya RAF colors. I will try another freehand scheme and if I am not satisfied I will probably mask the next one.

And yes, to answer your question I play both tuba and sousaphone. I've been taking lessons for over 2 years....had I known how hard low brass is to play I'm not sure I'd have taken it up at the age of 50!

April 20th, 2012, 2:43 pm #10

Model and finish look great BTW.

Cheers, Vic
I was just telling my wife how impressed I am to receive positive comments from you, as I have always admired your work. Thanks so much!