New Tamiya Yamato test shot sample

New Tamiya Yamato test shot sample

November 15th, 2011, 3:45 am #1

Yeah, I got to fondle some test shot parts for the entirely new 1/350 Yamato. Looks crazy good.
A question, however, is there an up-to-date reference book for the Yamato to go with it? I have the old Skulski Anatomy of the Ship volume, but the new kit parts don't compare well in some details, and I'd assume the kit is based on the latest data(?)

November 15th, 2011, 5:59 am #2

http://www.hlj.com/product/DIA95063

They also have a hb photo book on the Yam/Musashi.

Classic Warships also added one to their Sq style booklet series about 5+ yrs ago but don't think it added much to the info already found in the AotS book.

November 15th, 2011, 3:33 pm #3

Think I will stick with the Naval Institute Press book for now

Bob Melvin
Bob Melvin

November 15th, 2011, 4:26 pm #4

I'm currently reading "A Glorious Way to Die" about the Yamato's suicide mission to Okinawa. A book that should be of interest to anyone interested in Yamato, and also has some interesting information about the ship as well. Good read, and highly recommended.

Bob

November 15th, 2011, 5:19 pm #5

As for references I have the AoS on the Yamato and this monograph done by Model Art in 1993.
Since I don't read Japanese I copied the front & rear covers, Index page and 2 pages for illustrative purposes only.

I don't know if it's still available or if it has the most accurate info, but it is nicely done.

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

November 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm #6

Yeah, I got to fondle some test shot parts for the entirely new 1/350 Yamato. Looks crazy good.
A question, however, is there an up-to-date reference book for the Yamato to go with it? I have the old Skulski Anatomy of the Ship volume, but the new kit parts don't compare well in some details, and I'd assume the kit is based on the latest data(?)
The hull comes in several sections, the hull breaks at the waterline for those who want that, but it also has a separate lower bow with a joint to deal with. The above waterline hull also has a separate bow section. As the kit gives you very fine hull plate detail, as well as the plated over ports, fit and finishing issues are a concern.

I'm doing a partial build in order to see how bad it might be.
The lower forward hull to main hull joint isn't too bad, though all kinds of care is needed to make sure the plate details line up. There will be a joint line, though you mileage may vary as to how bad that might be. A touch of putty, some Mr. Surfacer to re-establish some of the plate lines, and it looks just fine.

Now, if you intend to do a waterline build, the above waterline hull elements will go together fairly well, with only a little bit of joint to deal with. However, if you intend to do a full hull, things are a bit different.
Not having the kit instructions, I don't know what assembly sequence they show, but with trial and error, I learned a few things.

I first tried fitting the upper forward hull to the waterline deck. Kind of tricky. If you intend to do the waterline build, not so much an issue. But for a full hull, there is no way to absolutely align the upper elements to the lower with separate assembly. Instead, the waterline deck ought to be fitted to the lower hull first, then the upper elements fitted to match up with the lower hull.

Overall, the fit isn't bad, the joint line across the plate details was easily dealt with, as mentioned above. However, on this sample, the main upper hull sides came up long, aft, overhanging the lower hull stern by a millimeter or so.
I don't know if it was something about my assembly or the sample, and a touch of putty under the overhand took care of that.

There are also mold lines on the lower hull for the multi-part casting, mostly easily dealt with. One of the aft mold lines had just a touch of misalignment so needed a little putty and redressing of plate detail to fix.

November 15th, 2011, 9:09 pm #7

I'm currently reading "A Glorious Way to Die" about the Yamato's suicide mission to Okinawa. A book that should be of interest to anyone interested in Yamato, and also has some interesting information about the ship as well. Good read, and highly recommended.

Bob
Some years ago. Well worth reading. They had it on sale with Thunder Gods Speak, a book about the Kamikaze pilots

November 15th, 2011, 10:42 pm #8

The hull comes in several sections, the hull breaks at the waterline for those who want that, but it also has a separate lower bow with a joint to deal with. The above waterline hull also has a separate bow section. As the kit gives you very fine hull plate detail, as well as the plated over ports, fit and finishing issues are a concern.

I'm doing a partial build in order to see how bad it might be.
The lower forward hull to main hull joint isn't too bad, though all kinds of care is needed to make sure the plate details line up. There will be a joint line, though you mileage may vary as to how bad that might be. A touch of putty, some Mr. Surfacer to re-establish some of the plate lines, and it looks just fine.

Now, if you intend to do a waterline build, the above waterline hull elements will go together fairly well, with only a little bit of joint to deal with. However, if you intend to do a full hull, things are a bit different.
Not having the kit instructions, I don't know what assembly sequence they show, but with trial and error, I learned a few things.

I first tried fitting the upper forward hull to the waterline deck. Kind of tricky. If you intend to do the waterline build, not so much an issue. But for a full hull, there is no way to absolutely align the upper elements to the lower with separate assembly. Instead, the waterline deck ought to be fitted to the lower hull first, then the upper elements fitted to match up with the lower hull.

Overall, the fit isn't bad, the joint line across the plate details was easily dealt with, as mentioned above. However, on this sample, the main upper hull sides came up long, aft, overhanging the lower hull stern by a millimeter or so.
I don't know if it was something about my assembly or the sample, and a touch of putty under the overhand took care of that.

There are also mold lines on the lower hull for the multi-part casting, mostly easily dealt with. One of the aft mold lines had just a touch of misalignment so needed a little putty and redressing of plate detail to fix.
The touch of overlong in the upper hull sides might be due to not using the hull spreaders/re-enforcements in the lower hull. They might add just a fraction enough beam to use that bit of slack for a better fit. I've also started assembling the superstructure, lots of neat fiddly bits and not too hard to figure out even without the instructions.

November 16th, 2011, 3:22 pm #9

Think I will stick with the Naval Institute Press book for now
Or we don't wanna even try for you. HLJ will prob also beat their time est by quite a bit.

I've ordered many oos items over the past ten plus yrs from HLJ and they were able to obtain each and every item for me (kits, books, mags), and always much quicker (50%) than expected/advertised.

Most recently a bunch of Hasegawa 48th kits. Labeled OOP at other onlines but only as OOS at HLJ, I gave it a try. After obtaining them for me tho I did notice most of the 8 kits were then re-listed at HLJ as oop/discontinued. I asked it they perhaps raided their own or employee's stashes but replied they went the Hasegawa route and got the last ones in the warehouse.

So should you want the 260 buck book (was 'just' 170 when I got mine yrs ago! The dollar sucks!) and HLJ say 4-6 wks ETA for the OOS item, I'd say 2-3 wks would be closer. And too, other than going to/ordering from the Kure Museum bookstore, I doubt anyone outside of Japan carries that line of books. They're all pretty $$, but very good. Very clear BIG photo repos. Some in the Yam/Musahi album are amazingly clear.

November 16th, 2011, 6:31 pm #10

Would never pay that much for any book. Period and I am not cheap and have a lot of books.

HLJ does get stuff in that is listed as out of stock and its worth checking back to make sure they haven't got it in again. I wanted a Fine Molds photo etch set from HLJ and every day for 2 weeks it was "out of stock" until the other day it was amazingly "low stock" so I ordered one.