New T-28 or old T-28??Which to build?

New T-28 or old T-28??Which to build?

March 23rd, 2012, 5:42 am #1

I thought for sure after the new RODEN ( sorry get those confused) T-28 kit came out the need for the sets for the old Monogram kit would dry up. Not so! I have been surprised at the number of modelers that still want to tackle this project . I guess it is the challenge?

You guys are hard to figure out some times.
Last edited by ResinPrince on March 23rd, 2012, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 5:51 am #2

Cheers!
Eugene

March 23rd, 2012, 6:31 am #3

I thought for sure after the new RODEN ( sorry get those confused) T-28 kit came out the need for the sets for the old Monogram kit would dry up. Not so! I have been surprised at the number of modelers that still want to tackle this project . I guess it is the challenge?

With the price of these new kits coming out, I'm not buying new ones. I'll work out of my meager stash.

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !

March 23rd, 2012, 6:39 am #4

But I like the moving parts-and it can easily be upgraded with the available set. I'd love to see a company like Zoukei-Mura or Tamiya do this one in 1/32nd or even 1/24th!

March 23rd, 2012, 8:32 am #5

I've built up a decent (for my taste) representatiion of the D from a Monogram kit. Took a LOT of scratch buildng; there's no way I'll put 50 60 70 bucks into the aftermarket parts required to make a really nice model of the old Monogram. It's just a shell that needs EVERYTHING- on TOP of rescribing!Totally not worth the money and time and effort. Mine looks fine, but I still know that it's actually just a half-witted rig-job. I'll get a new one when available, and it's just a matter of time before a proper D comes out.

There are very few new kits I'll put out the high price of today's market for, but a new T-28 is one of them, along with a new damn BANSHEE for cryin out loud!Both those old kits are just too crummy compared to modern standards.
Last edited by rongordo on March 23rd, 2012, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 8:44 am #6

I just got the Roden T-28B and it is head and shoulders better than the Monogram kit. I got mine for $38.00 shipped and feel it was well worth it. If there is anything that is a little soft on it, it is the cockpit but beyond that it looks very nice. Not Tamiya nice but better than say Classic Airframes. Build it with the kit cockpit or add an aftermarket one and either way you'd have a much better and more accurate T-28. The Monogram kit isn't even 1/48th scale. Anyway, I'm happy with it.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

March 23rd, 2012, 12:46 pm #7

I'll build the Roden T-28. The Monogram kit takes too much work. My time is worth the extra money.

March 23rd, 2012, 1:05 pm #8

...but won't spend any money in another one. Given the fact that we can purchase the Roden kit for about 25, spending 10 plus S+H (not currently available at my local hobby shops) and adding the time consuming task of correcting and detailing (otherwise, I could try one of those excellent aftermarket resin sets, but that option makes it very difficult for me in monetary terms), the decision is an easy one this time.
I'm currently working with an old Monogram T28A. I've spent a lot of time scratch building a suitable cockpit and wheel wells, and detailing an engine from the spares box. I've rescibed the kit, I've added a pair of True Details resin wheels...I'm firmly decided to finish this one, but won't do the same work on another Monogram Trojan.
A lot of work you can save by building the Roden kit.
kind regards.

March 23rd, 2012, 1:55 pm #9

With the price of these new kits coming out, I'm not buying new ones. I'll work out of my meager stash.

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !
Plus...all Mike West's nice resin goodies are for the Mogram kit.....! nt