New Project: Staaken R.VI to an R.IV

New Project: Staaken R.VI to an R.IV

Dan Smith
Dan Smith

May 22nd, 2012, 5:04 am #1

I know...I'm an idiot. I want to take a perfectly good model...Roden's Staaken R.VI...and bash it into the Staaken with the torpedo nacelles with cockpits/guns for the engineers, an engine up front, and ladders to two wing gun positions.

This:

To This:

Turns out that I have some 1/144 drawings and all I have to do is enlarge them by 200% and viola! 1/72nd ready. I figure all I need to do is make a new front fuselage, rear section, and new nacelles with some different strut locations. I can use a lot of the kit fuselage, the wings and tail units as is.

You can't stop me since I've already sawed part of the fuselage. Someone at Roden is queezie right about now.

Wish me luck!!

Dan

May 22nd, 2012, 6:28 am #2

...in a very nice way. I have read enough reviews of the Roden Staaken to know it is not an easy build. And you decide to make it even more challenging. That's the spirit! And thanks for doing it - according to the laws of modelling, Roden is bound to issue an R.IV as soon as you have finished yours .

I'll stock up on beer and popcorn and eagerly awaut your WIP reports.

May 22nd, 2012, 8:18 am #3

I know...I'm an idiot. I want to take a perfectly good model...Roden's Staaken R.VI...and bash it into the Staaken with the torpedo nacelles with cockpits/guns for the engineers, an engine up front, and ladders to two wing gun positions.

This:

To This:

Turns out that I have some 1/144 drawings and all I have to do is enlarge them by 200% and viola! 1/72nd ready. I figure all I need to do is make a new front fuselage, rear section, and new nacelles with some different strut locations. I can use a lot of the kit fuselage, the wings and tail units as is.

You can't stop me since I've already sawed part of the fuselage. Someone at Roden is queezie right about now.

Wish me luck!!

Dan
You sir, are a man with great big round ones!

I will be following this with interest.

May 22nd, 2012, 10:16 am #4

This:

To This:

Wish me luck!!

Dan
Looks like fun! I have the same Roden kit, so I'll be watching your build

John

May 22nd, 2012, 3:51 pm #5

This:

To This:

Wish me luck!!

Dan
Wow, what fun; please post often! I'm buying stock in putty and rigging wire right now.

Stuart

May 22nd, 2012, 5:31 pm #6

I figure this little build should keep this 72nd GB going for awhile! I'll need all your collective help on this one when I run into problems...which will be soon.

Thanks!
Dan

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

May 22nd, 2012, 6:29 pm #7

This:

To This:

Wish me luck!!

Dan
We all know this will turn out to be another stunner Dan. It will be fun to see how you get from here, to there...

Cheers, Vic

May 23rd, 2012, 12:18 am #8

I figure this little build should keep this 72nd GB going for awhile! I'll need all your collective help on this one when I run into problems...which will be soon.

Thanks!
Dan

Regards,

Just hollar on here or you can find me at LodanMar@aol.com if you need a quicker response. I don't always check here every day.

I took the following pic at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC a few years ago. Perhaps it will help you.
[/IMG]
Enjoy!

May 23rd, 2012, 1:24 am #9

This:

To This:

Wish me luck!!

Dan
Hee ha, Dan - you slay me with your "blood n' guts" approach to medelling, that's for sure! OF COURSE you're going to take a perfectly good kit and bash it into something better - that's what you do! Man, you got a lot of moxy - go for it!
Best! Ted!

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

May 23rd, 2012, 4:24 pm #10

Just hollar on here or you can find me at LodanMar@aol.com if you need a quicker response. I don't always check here every day.

I took the following pic at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC a few years ago. Perhaps it will help you.
[/IMG]
Enjoy!
Thanks, indeed, John. I can't believe the NASM beat me to it.

I bet there are more shots of that beauty around. I'll scare them up.

Thanks again.

Regards,