New Dragon 1/72

New Dragon 1/72

February 17th, 2017, 8:16 pm #1

I realize it's not a popular scale as much as it used to be, but after buying pretty much all of Dragon's WWII kits (Pz VI, V, IV, III, Sherman, etc.)I've been waiting patiently, figuring that the Pz I and II, and, maybe Pz 38t variants, would be following shortly, given how prolific Dragon was just a couple years ago. Then I patiently waited for them to release ANYTHING in 1/72. So when I noticed there was an announcement on Dragon's website re 2 new WWII kits, I was encouraged. But when I read the descriptions carefully, it was anything but encouraging. The new Pz IVD and Stug III F will have "for modeling convenience" one-piece track/suspensions. To me, on anything other than a tiny East European short run kit, this is ridiculous, a real step backward. I realize we are all getting older (I'm 62), but for people who still manage with 1/72, isn't this taking simplification too far? No matter how well I think a paint job comes out, having separate wheels and tracks still looks far better than the one piece assembly, IMHO.
How is anyone else feeling about this? Yes, I did communicate my displeasure to Dragon, with no response.
Comments and suggestions?
Rant complete, thanks,
Bob

February 17th, 2017, 10:21 pm #2

Hi
Visit Missing Lynx - Braille scale section.

This has been discussed there and in far more depth than you get here on HS
Andrew

February 18th, 2017, 12:14 am #3

Thanks Andrew,
Didn't realize they had such a sub-forum.

February 18th, 2017, 4:46 am #4

I realize it's not a popular scale as much as it used to be, but after buying pretty much all of Dragon's WWII kits (Pz VI, V, IV, III, Sherman, etc.)I've been waiting patiently, figuring that the Pz I and II, and, maybe Pz 38t variants, would be following shortly, given how prolific Dragon was just a couple years ago. Then I patiently waited for them to release ANYTHING in 1/72. So when I noticed there was an announcement on Dragon's website re 2 new WWII kits, I was encouraged. But when I read the descriptions carefully, it was anything but encouraging. The new Pz IVD and Stug III F will have "for modeling convenience" one-piece track/suspensions. To me, on anything other than a tiny East European short run kit, this is ridiculous, a real step backward. I realize we are all getting older (I'm 62), but for people who still manage with 1/72, isn't this taking simplification too far? No matter how well I think a paint job comes out, having separate wheels and tracks still looks far better than the one piece assembly, IMHO.
How is anyone else feeling about this? Yes, I did communicate my displeasure to Dragon, with no response.
Rant complete, thanks,
Bob
I love, and have multiples of, most of the Dragon kits, but with all the Ace and other manufacturers' kits out there I'll never build everything in my lifetime.

Add to that the reissues of classic ESCI kits, resin conversions, and nearly-display-quality snap-fit wargaming kits....

But I'm not a rivet counter, so if I put together an S-model Crusader with no mod's or added detail, I'm good to go.

February 19th, 2017, 1:54 am #5

Rant complete, thanks,
Bob
Italeri started this over ten years ago with their fast assembly kits approved by the Alzo Zero wargame club. Many of the kits designed by Italeri at this time came with a real undercarriage and a fast build with one for wargamers. They started with the M8, M20 Greyhound and ISU-122 and ISU-152. Many of the sets came with two kits, a fast and regular build.

War gamers aren't worried about accuracy or complicated builds, they want the numbers and approximate appearance to build their armies.

They are trying to increase sales by marketing to a wider audience.

February 19th, 2017, 1:19 pm #6

Rant complete, thanks,
Bob
Dragon reached their quality and creative peak a good 10-15 years ago and everything else since then has been pretty retrograde. Fewer 100% new kits and those that are released (like the Black Label stuff) are BAD. Most of what they put out are "new" in that it is a new version of an old kit with an often ill fitting mix of leftover sprues from older models. You may or may not get all of the needed or appropriate details either. And, features listed on the box art CAD images are often not included in the kit. Reissues of older kits that used to have turned metal parts, photo-etch and individual link tracks are now issued with no metal, less etch and rubber band tracks, and at a much higher price. For years the 1/72 line has been blasted for being oversimplified (hatches molded closed, tools in place, poor tracks).

February 20th, 2017, 2:30 am #7

But a lot of their later 1/72 scale armor, especially the IJA tanks, have been quite good. Their LVT series is one that I had planned on getting, but have not yet. They seem to be well regarded.

February 20th, 2017, 1:43 pm #8

My local Hobbytown had stocked up big on these kits and put them all on 50% discount. I bought the Porsche King Tiger prototype. What a joke. The whole kit is about like the old Aurora snap together Panther tank from their Anzio Beach set.

The twin headlights are actually molded onto the sides of the hull! That's right - flat onto the side of the hull like a big wart! All of the tools and tow ropes are also cast in place and they aren't even very sharply defined.

The turret has spare track hangers and tracks but they are King Tiger tracks. The Porsche prototype was built on the Elefant tank chassis and used Elefant tracks, which are totally different. The real tank also did not have hangers on the turret so all of the molded detail has to be carved off. The kit includes an as-built in real life "Porsche" style turret with no large access door in the left side, which is wrong since the prototype did have this door... So many errors all over the kit isn't worth $15 at half price, let alone $30 new.

February 20th, 2017, 6:08 pm #9

the amphibious IJN tank and the Panther with a panzer IV turret. Both appear to be very good although the Panther is just a mash up of previous sprues. I wanted the M103, but decided against it after seeing the sprue shots.

March 4th, 2017, 4:37 pm #10

Rant complete, thanks,
Bob
Bob,

You were asking for Pz I & II kits. Look into the brand "FlyHawk". They make wonderfully detailed 1:72 armor and 1:700th ships. In their 1:72nd armor line the have: FT-17, Pz Kpfw I Ausf F, Pz Kpfw II Ausf L Luchs and Pz Kpfw II Ausf J.

These kits are expensive (to me) approximately @$20 - $30 USD, but the accuracy and detail is not surpassed!!

Take a look at the "Missing Lynx" site, and go to the "Braille Scale" tab. You will find a wealth of information (and opinions!!!) on various 1:72 (or smaller) kits, manufacturers, techniques, etc. Old pages are "searchable", so you can find info on FlyHawk and other 1:72 kits.

Enjoy and hope this helps.

Loren
Loren Pike