New 1-1 Display case done!

New 1-1 Display case done!

May 31st, 2012, 1:01 am #1

Built this so I'd have a case big enough for all of my BIG stuff I need to build (1/48 P-3, B-47, B-50; and all of the 1/48 bombers in the stash). It's 6' wide by 28" deep by 6'3" high. As you can see, it has adjustable shelving, and will eventually hold 10 shelves; 5 per side. The shelf in there now is just a piece of plain glass. The real shelves (which need to be ordered) will be 25"x33" 1/8" tempered glass. A Monogram 1/48 B-29 WILL fit on one of those shelves!

I christened the case with my 1/32 stuff, as well as my other big model; the PBY-1 Catalina (Monogram/Belcher Bits conversion). The P-38J and Ki-61 are Revell kits, and the F4B-4 is the Hasagawa kit. The T-28C is the CollectAire resin kit and the FJ-4 Fury is the old ID vac kit; both with a LOT of scratchbuilding to help them along!

Questions, comments are welcome!

May 31st, 2012, 2:19 am #2

Now were is your wife gonna let you put it?

May 31st, 2012, 2:45 am #3

Built this so I'd have a case big enough for all of my BIG stuff I need to build (1/48 P-3, B-47, B-50; and all of the 1/48 bombers in the stash). It's 6' wide by 28" deep by 6'3" high. As you can see, it has adjustable shelving, and will eventually hold 10 shelves; 5 per side. The shelf in there now is just a piece of plain glass. The real shelves (which need to be ordered) will be 25"x33" 1/8" tempered glass. A Monogram 1/48 B-29 WILL fit on one of those shelves!

I christened the case with my 1/32 stuff, as well as my other big model; the PBY-1 Catalina (Monogram/Belcher Bits conversion). The P-38J and Ki-61 are Revell kits, and the F4B-4 is the Hasagawa kit. The T-28C is the CollectAire resin kit and the FJ-4 Fury is the old ID vac kit; both with a LOT of scratchbuilding to help them along!

Really well done , I'm envious Gil. Sure it should fit very well in my living room or in my show room.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 31st, 2012, 4:19 pm #4

Did you work from plans or do this on the fly? I want to build another as my built in's are getting full and I like the layout of this.

Cheers
Mike

"You cannot believe every quote you read on the internet". - Abraham Lincoln

May 31st, 2012, 5:47 pm #5

Thats beautiful!

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

May 31st, 2012, 10:12 pm #6

Did you work from plans or do this on the fly? I want to build another as my built in's are getting full and I like the layout of this.

Cheers
Mike

If you have an OLD FSM mag from the late 80s/90s, you might find the issue with the plans in there from when I built my second one. It's simply an identical box frame top and bottom of 1"x6" boards made to the dimensions you want for your purposes. The corner posts are simply 6' 1"x4" boards. Be sure to pick the STRAIGHTEST lumber you can find though! The back is filled in with plywood cut to fit your dimensions. You put joists/supports in the bottom for a plywood floor, and supports on the top inside to support a plywood top that's simply laid inside. Add any "trim" to the unit to make it as fancy as you want, or to hide screw holes (like me ). Sand and stain it to suit your taste.

The doors are made from molding trim. Choose any style that suits your purpose, but be sure the sides of the trim are at least 3/8"-1/2" thick so they'll support the hinges on the sides. The doors and the sides of the case have plexiglass trimmed to fit and screwed in place. One unique thing to this design is that you'll need a supply of very SHORT screws (#4 or #6 x 3/8" or 1/4", if you can get them) to attach the plexiglass to the doors and case. The interior is covered with cheap self-adhesive shelf paper. I've also used wall paper in the past. Both of those make a nice back drop and hide the wood grain too. The shelving brackets/supports can be found in most hardware store. BUT, be aware that when you go THIS large, you'll have to special order the 21" bracket arms. 18" arms were the largest I could find in a store. You also need to cut off their lips if you plan to have your shelves overhang the arms in the front.

By the way, you don't need big tools for this. I used a skill saw, drill, orbital sander, cheap miter box/saw, and a nut/screw driver. You'll need a box cutter/blade to trim the plexiglass (scribe and snap, just like sheet plastic!).

I do hope to draw up some new plans when I get the time. Hopefully the description above will help in the meantime. Cheers!
Last edited by slowhandshodges on May 31st, 2012, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2012, 10:14 pm #7

Thats beautiful!

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"
or many wood working tools, I wouldn't be able to build it! See the description above for a better explanation of how it's built.

June 1st, 2012, 2:01 pm #8

If you have an OLD FSM mag from the late 80s/90s, you might find the issue with the plans in there from when I built my second one. It's simply an identical box frame top and bottom of 1"x6" boards made to the dimensions you want for your purposes. The corner posts are simply 6' 1"x4" boards. Be sure to pick the STRAIGHTEST lumber you can find though! The back is filled in with plywood cut to fit your dimensions. You put joists/supports in the bottom for a plywood floor, and supports on the top inside to support a plywood top that's simply laid inside. Add any "trim" to the unit to make it as fancy as you want, or to hide screw holes (like me ). Sand and stain it to suit your taste.

The doors are made from molding trim. Choose any style that suits your purpose, but be sure the sides of the trim are at least 3/8"-1/2" thick so they'll support the hinges on the sides. The doors and the sides of the case have plexiglass trimmed to fit and screwed in place. One unique thing to this design is that you'll need a supply of very SHORT screws (#4 or #6 x 3/8" or 1/4", if you can get them) to attach the plexiglass to the doors and case. The interior is covered with cheap self-adhesive shelf paper. I've also used wall paper in the past. Both of those make a nice back drop and hide the wood grain too. The shelving brackets/supports can be found in most hardware store. BUT, be aware that when you go THIS large, you'll have to special order the 21" bracket arms. 18" arms were the largest I could find in a store. You also need to cut off their lips if you plan to have your shelves overhang the arms in the front.

By the way, you don't need big tools for this. I used a skill saw, drill, orbital sander, cheap miter box/saw, and a nut/screw driver. You'll need a box cutter/blade to trim the plexiglass (scribe and snap, just like sheet plastic!).

I do hope to draw up some new plans when I get the time. Hopefully the description above will help in the meantime. Cheers!
..which simply won't do..lol.
Actually looking at yours I've got some ideas, which is all I need. Think I'll go with prefinished melamine (black) for the inside and mahogany for the case, dado the shelf supports and use backlighting for illumination.

Thanks for the spark Gil!

Cheers
Mike