Navy Phantom F-4B National insignia sizes?

Navy Phantom F-4B National insignia sizes?

June 27th, 2012, 11:56 pm #1

Hi all, I'm currently backdating a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom F-4J to an early VF-84 'Jolly Rogers' B variant and I am trying to source some National Insignia for the wings. What size were they? I've got some Marine F-4C wing National Insignia and they seem a little too big. I would use the kit decals, but the blue appears to be way too dark! Any help appreciated.

June 28th, 2012, 1:33 am #2

48"
Last edited by john553 on June 28th, 2012, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 2:06 am #3

Hi all, I'm currently backdating a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom F-4J to an early VF-84 'Jolly Rogers' B variant and I am trying to source some National Insignia for the wings. What size were they? I've got some Marine F-4C wing National Insignia and they seem a little too big. I would use the kit decals, but the blue appears to be way too dark! Any help appreciated.
Hi Patrick,

My refs indicate that early USN/Marine F-4 Phantom carried 45" wing and 30" fuselage national insignia. Sometime later, the wing insignias were reduced in size to match the fuselage. The smaller insignia was confined to the wing's outer panel. The earlier 45" application carried over the wingfold line thus touching both inboard and outboard sections.

Incidentally, I think that US national insignia sizing is based on the diameter of the white star, or, more precisely, the diameter of the "circumscribed circle" formed by the star. The "blue circle" will thus have a larger diameter (by one eighth).

If my assumptions (and math) are correct, the larger wing insignias (45") measure out to 1.41" "star diameter" or 1.58" "blue circle diameter" (3.57cm/4.02cm if you're metrically inclined) for 1/32 scale.

By the way, Jennings Heilig has an excellent article on US national insignia dimensions and proportions in the latest issue of Military Illustrated Modeller (Brett's new magazine). It puts to rest some myths and common misconceptions -- I hope all decal manufactures takes notice!

Good luck on your Phantom.

Rich

June 28th, 2012, 2:13 am #4

48"
(for the most part).

June 28th, 2012, 2:42 am #5

Hi Patrick,

My refs indicate that early USN/Marine F-4 Phantom carried 45" wing and 30" fuselage national insignia. Sometime later, the wing insignias were reduced in size to match the fuselage. The smaller insignia was confined to the wing's outer panel. The earlier 45" application carried over the wingfold line thus touching both inboard and outboard sections.

Incidentally, I think that US national insignia sizing is based on the diameter of the white star, or, more precisely, the diameter of the "circumscribed circle" formed by the star. The "blue circle" will thus have a larger diameter (by one eighth).

If my assumptions (and math) are correct, the larger wing insignias (45") measure out to 1.41" "star diameter" or 1.58" "blue circle diameter" (3.57cm/4.02cm if you're metrically inclined) for 1/32 scale.

By the way, Jennings Heilig has an excellent article on US national insignia dimensions and proportions in the latest issue of Military Illustrated Modeller (Brett's new magazine). It puts to rest some myths and common misconceptions -- I hope all decal manufactures takes notice!

Rich
Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

June 28th, 2012, 3:22 am #6

June 28th, 2012, 6:15 am #7

Thank you all for your responses, very kind of you.

June 28th, 2012, 11:40 am #8

intended as a joke left over from the time that only a few on here seemed to know who MP was

I was "telling Michigan Pete to read Jennings' book"

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

June 28th, 2012, 9:27 pm #9

(for the most part).
5" increments? Thanks for the trivia, I thought I heard it
was 12, 24, 36, and 48 inch in one foot increments but that might
have been THE AIR FORCE and not THE NAVY. No wonder anything to do
with the government is so confusing!!!---John

June 28th, 2012, 10:45 pm #10

Hi Patrick,

Rich
confussed as to "latest" being the last one at the LHS, or the "latest" one coming out? Also consider the lag time as these show up in different parts of the world.

Old Digger Pilot