NASM Mall Building Re-Work

NASM Mall Building Re-Work

December 21st, 2014, 10:09 pm #1

I thought I would let everyone know that the National Air and Space Museum, Mall Building, is beginning a multi-year re-work. Many of the floor exhibits in the Milestones of Flight gallery have been moved out for attention at the UHC restoration hangar. The hanging aircraft will soon be lowered and moved to allow for the entire gallery to be re-worked through a Boeing contribution.

Next up will be replacing all the external marble panels on the building. The originals, installed prior to the opening in 1976, were thinner than on some of the other SI museums and have deteriorated to the point that they are beginning to crack and fall to the sidewalks below.

After that, the rest of the Mall building will be re-worked, one end at a time. HVAC and other systems will be replaced and some exhibit halls will be re-done or changed.

Work will run from next month through approximately 2020 or so. The plans and timing are still being worked and will probably be on the NASM website as they are approved.

Some/many artifacts will be changed or moved, with impacts to both the Mall building and UHC artifacts on display.
Since the restoration staff also move all the displays the conservation/restoration projects will be slowed considerably. At present only two staff are assigned to the B-26B "Flak Bait" project. The contract conservators working on the Ho IX V3 stabilization are gone as their funding was over. I believe there are only twelve to fourteen folks left in the restoration area and no formal volunteer program is in place. Not a good position for any new artifacts to make it to the floor in the next few years, if ever. The current SI $1.5Bil fundraiser has $120Mil assigned to NASM, but none of that is designated specifically to restoration personnel funding or endowments.

However, if you want to see what is currently on display at the NASM Mall building I suggest you plan a visit in the very near future, or wait until 2020 or so.
Last edited by Nav1Bill on December 21st, 2014, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 23rd, 2014, 10:51 am #2

nm

December 23rd, 2014, 1:35 pm #3

I thought I would let everyone know that the National Air and Space Museum, Mall Building, is beginning a multi-year re-work. Many of the floor exhibits in the Milestones of Flight gallery have been moved out for attention at the UHC restoration hangar. The hanging aircraft will soon be lowered and moved to allow for the entire gallery to be re-worked through a Boeing contribution.

Next up will be replacing all the external marble panels on the building. The originals, installed prior to the opening in 1976, were thinner than on some of the other SI museums and have deteriorated to the point that they are beginning to crack and fall to the sidewalks below.

After that, the rest of the Mall building will be re-worked, one end at a time. HVAC and other systems will be replaced and some exhibit halls will be re-done or changed.

Work will run from next month through approximately 2020 or so. The plans and timing are still being worked and will probably be on the NASM website as they are approved.

Some/many artifacts will be changed or moved, with impacts to both the Mall building and UHC artifacts on display.
Since the restoration staff also move all the displays the conservation/restoration projects will be slowed considerably. At present only two staff are assigned to the B-26B "Flak Bait" project. The contract conservators working on the Ho IX V3 stabilization are gone as their funding was over. I believe there are only twelve to fourteen folks left in the restoration area and no formal volunteer program is in place. Not a good position for any new artifacts to make it to the floor in the next few years, if ever. The current SI $1.5Bil fundraiser has $120Mil assigned to NASM, but none of that is designated specifically to restoration personnel funding or endowments.

However, if you want to see what is currently on display at the NASM Mall building I suggest you plan a visit in the very near future, or wait until 2020 or so.
...and apparently I've not paid very good attention, I didn't see any notifications. If I have a vexing problem at work I'll take my lunch time to walk through, it often helps me work through the issue so I'm often preoccupied!

Thanks for the heads up, will be sorry to have the museum disrupted but it is time to freshen up both the building and the displays.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler