Napalm! Yes I love the smell of it in the morning!

Napalm! Yes I love the smell of it in the morning!

April 25th, 2012, 3:23 pm #1

Hi All;

Looking to do a Korean War vintage Corsair. Need to know where to get a 1/48 scale napalm tank. If there is not one available, can one be "created".
Thanks
Troy

Google is GREAT! Unless it is for something you really need to find.

April 25th, 2012, 3:34 pm #2

the 1970's politically correct term - incendigel. Check out the link.

http://www.history.navy.mil/a-korea/may51-8.pdf

HTH,

JR

April 25th, 2012, 3:39 pm #3

Hi All;

Looking to do a Korean War vintage Corsair. Need to know where to get a 1/48 scale napalm tank. If there is not one available, can one be "created".
Thanks
Troy

...but they're usually just drop tanks painted yellow, at least that's what I've seen in use by the Air Force P-51's in Korea, there's plenty of pics in Osprey's Frontline color series. 

I'm not much of a Navy modeler, they may have used something different. 

April 25th, 2012, 4:08 pm #4

Hi All;

Thanks
Troy

... As Brett pointed out, they're just old drop tanks most of the time.

If you can find a couple of WWII 75 gallon drop tanks, your set. Zinc Chromate Yellow is what most of them seemed to have painted.... But I know that statement will be debated here shortly
I've seen a rare OD green one too...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

April 25th, 2012, 4:11 pm #5

the 1970's politically correct term - incendigel. Check out the link.

http://www.history.navy.mil/a-korea/may51-8.pdf

HTH,

JR
.... The more recent term is now "Fuel Air Explosive"

Though I think there is a slight difference in the two, the term is now somewhat synonymous....

Footnote:
The original Naplam was a mix of NAptha and PALm oil, thus the name... The modern FAE are more complex mixtures...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Last edited by shogun66 on April 25th, 2012, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

April 25th, 2012, 4:12 pm #6

Hi All;

Thanks
Troy

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/f4u5njh_1.htm

April 25th, 2012, 4:14 pm #7

Nice... I remember seeing that one posted somewhere before...

Nice job on that one!

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

April 25th, 2012, 4:24 pm #8

.... The more recent term is now "Fuel Air Explosive"

Though I think there is a slight difference in the two, the term is now somewhat synonymous....

Footnote:
The original Naplam was a mix of NAptha and PALm oil, thus the name... The modern FAE are more complex mixtures...

Semper Fi, Don
is a whole different ballgame. IIRC it requires a time delay from the time the fuel is released from the canister to mix with the atmosphere before it is detonated. Good ole naplam went as soon as the detonator busted open the willy pete can on the nose of the cansiter - which happened a millisecond or two after the canister rupture. I remember standing over a five gallon bucket of water opening the shipping canisters for the willy pete cans. If it smoked wjen we broke the seal, we dropped the whole shebang in the water and called EOD and the fire department.

Plus, FAE doesn't stick to stuff the way jellied gasoline does.

JR
Last edited by Oriskany on April 25th, 2012, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 4:45 pm #9

... I knew of the 'slight' differences. (I love talking about this stuff!)

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

April 25th, 2012, 7:19 pm #10

... As Brett pointed out, they're just old drop tanks most of the time.

If you can find a couple of WWII 75 gallon drop tanks, your set. Zinc Chromate Yellow is what most of them seemed to have painted.... But I know that statement will be debated here shortly
I've seen a rare OD green one too...

Semper Fi, Don
of them using old Luftwaffe drop tanks as napalm cans on P-47's. I know, not Korean War Navy, but I thought that was an interesting aside on used drop tanks as ordnance...

Corey