My oldest models

My oldest models

May 11th, 2012, 1:50 pm #1

Two are from Monogram, one in 1/48 scale the two other models are in 1/32 scale; all built OOTB except for the Helldiver, I have modified the spinner, added four blades propeller and I have drilled out the dive brakes and opened the cowling flaps. All were brush painted.

Monogram Curtiss SB2C-4E Helldiver of VF-84 onboard AC USS Bunker Hill in February 1945 .Built in 1967, I was 19 years old at this time.

The second is a P-51D Mustang from Monogram in 1/32 scale, built ootb in 1970 brush painted with Humbrol # 11 Silver and coated with Testor's gloss in spray can. The Galloping Ghost decals are from Micro-Scale I think.

The third is the venerable Hawker Hurricane from Revell in 1/32 scale built ootb and brush painted with Humbrol enamels in 1969. Decals are from the kit.

Serge Dompierre
Last edited by Serge Dompierre on May 11th, 2012, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 11th, 2012, 2:15 pm #2

They look great especially the P-51!It is hard to brush paint silver enamel but you found a way to do it!
Last edited by philo426 on May 11th, 2012, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2012, 3:10 pm #3

Two are from Monogram, one in 1/48 scale the two other models are in 1/32 scale; all built OOTB except for the Helldiver, I have modified the spinner, added four blades propeller and I have drilled out the dive brakes and opened the cowling flaps. All were brush painted.

Monogram Curtiss SB2C-4E Helldiver of VF-84 onboard AC USS Bunker Hill in February 1945 .Built in 1967, I was 19 years old at this time.

The second is a P-51D Mustang from Monogram in 1/32 scale, built ootb in 1970 brush painted with Humbrol # 11 Silver and coated with Testor's gloss in spray can. The Galloping Ghost decals are from Micro-Scale I think.

The third is the venerable Hawker Hurricane from Revell in 1/32 scale built ootb and brush painted with Humbrol enamels in 1969. Decals are from the kit.

Serge Dompierre
Your old stuff looks great, even after so many years. You are so lucky to have the models that you built decades ago...how did you manage to keep them over the years.

May 11th, 2012, 3:34 pm #4

Serge Dompierre
I like the Helldiver really cool! Thanks for sharing.

May 11th, 2012, 3:43 pm #5

Serge Dompierre
They wear their age well. Love the rivet work on the Helldiver.

Brent

Forty-Sevens don't got carpet!

May 11th, 2012, 4:24 pm #6

Serge Dompierre
I had hung on to some of mine, Those still look good after all this time, humbrol enamels were my choice then and I have started to re-invest in some now, they always brush really well and dry dead flat, great work Serge.

Best regards gk

May 11th, 2012, 5:49 pm #7

Serge Dompierre

Serge, as a kid in the 1960's, one of the very first models I ever saw was a friend's Monogram Helldiver, and soon my younger brother built the companion Monogram SBD Dauntless kit. Oh, how we loved all those operating features!

And now your images here bring to mind another happy memory: the late Jeffrey Harrison's delightfully nostalgia-soaked feature here some 12 years ago. http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000 ... erjh_1.htm

May 11th, 2012, 5:51 pm #8

Serge Dompierre
Great looking models for back in the day....Funny how the modelers change what looks good as a group....now its over done panel lines and weathering and Pre/ Post shading.....lol

May 11th, 2012, 6:06 pm #9

They look great especially the P-51!It is hard to brush paint silver enamel but you found a way to do it!
Really appreciated.

Serge Dompierre

May 11th, 2012, 6:08 pm #10

Your old stuff looks great, even after so many years. You are so lucky to have the models that you built decades ago...how did you manage to keep them over the years.
Very appreciated. I keep mostly of them in show cases like this, and clean them once a month

Serge Dompierre