My OAKGB Hurricane - with a little modification

My OAKGB Hurricane - with a little modification

February 7th, 2012, 5:45 am #1

Hello all - I am joining the Hurricane build - only to get it out of the way so that I can build FIREFLIES and lots of them!!
Here is the kit and the glorious but very expensive (17 poonds at Duxford last year) Model Alliance decal sheet .

I wil be building mine as post D-Day one - V7752 of 137 Sqn in Holland October 1944 - lovely in Temperate DG/OG/MSG land scheme and lots of B/W stripes.

Being a MkI so late in the war, it has the longer Rotal spinner so I have had to cadge one from another kit . I am also going to use a spare PE interior frame and decal instrument panel. As well I will be building an undercarriage bay and will use some Academy spare u/c legs glued to the Airfix doors to add a bit more finesse to the unders.

Famous last words - shouldn't take too long!! Ha Ha!!

February 7th, 2012, 6:08 am #2

Interesting choice - what were 137 Squadron using them for? n/t

February 7th, 2012, 6:19 am #3

the oldest planes around by then - apparently based at landing ground B78 at Eindoven. I dimly recall some of these old birds being used as mail planes with the armament removed and bundles of mail and bottles of plonk put into the ammo bays. By October the skies over Holland and the Channel would have been relatively safe for such slow planes.

February 7th, 2012, 7:14 am #4

Hello all - I am joining the Hurricane build - only to get it out of the way so that I can build FIREFLIES and lots of them!!
Here is the kit and the glorious but very expensive (17 poonds at Duxford last year) Model Alliance decal sheet .

I wil be building mine as post D-Day one - V7752 of 137 Sqn in Holland October 1944 - lovely in Temperate DG/OG/MSG land scheme and lots of B/W stripes.

Being a MkI so late in the war, it has the longer Rotal spinner so I have had to cadge one from another kit . I am also going to use a spare PE interior frame and decal instrument panel. As well I will be building an undercarriage bay and will use some Academy spare u/c legs glued to the Airfix doors to add a bit more finesse to the unders.

Not to be an insufferable smarty-pants, but the underside drawing shows two outboard shell ejector slots (i.e. 12 gun wing), indicating a Mk. IIb. And a very brief perusal of the InterWeb indicates that 137 squadron only flew the Mk. IV and maybe the IId (after converting from Whirlwinds). But who knows? And in any case, this is a very attractive scheme.

Stuart

February 7th, 2012, 9:38 am #5

V7752 in action in 1941
http://laituk.org/HeIIIWidnes.htm

Crash report 1945. p126. as a Mk1
http://web.archive.org/web/200902060447 ... 5-7286.pdf

Gotta love google for this stuff.

Ils sont fous ces mod�liste!

February 7th, 2012, 10:13 am #6

It certainly appears that V7752 was a Mk I , was with 137 Sqn, and was in use in late 1944 as it crashed on 1st January 1945 at Eindoven. This all fits in with the info on the decal sheet - they have probably stuffed up the drawings (someone said "get me some Hurricane drawings to superimpose the camo and markings onto " and no-one checked the mark properly). In Bridgewater's Combat Colours #2 on Hurricanes he discusses the late war use of older Hurricanes as 'despatch riders' to ferry documents and so on around the front usually a couple per squadron. So it seems that I can legitimately build this one from the old kit apart from the spinner.

February 7th, 2012, 10:14 am #7

Not to be an insufferable smarty-pants, but the underside drawing shows two outboard shell ejector slots (i.e. 12 gun wing), indicating a Mk. IIb. And a very brief perusal of the InterWeb indicates that 137 squadron only flew the Mk. IV and maybe the IId (after converting from Whirlwinds). But who knows? And in any case, this is a very attractive scheme.

Stuart
See response below Stuart - interesting scheme I agree. n/t

February 7th, 2012, 2:56 pm #8

would it still have the anti glare panels above the exhaust? Just to make it even more interesting....

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.

February 7th, 2012, 7:52 pm #9

Now you are asking tricky questions!! - I have no idea!! n/t

February 8th, 2012, 3:04 am #10

Nice one Graham..