My new best friend....

My new best friend....

April 7th, 2012, 7:19 pm #1

....small little pieces of sprue and a half a bottle of Tamiya thin cement. Let it sit a day and you have the best sanding filler ever.

I am having to completely rescribe an Italeri 1/72 C-130J kit and didn't like any of the methods available to fix all those "oops it slipped" moments for various reasons. I finally tried mixing sprue and thin cement, having remembered reading about it a long time ago. It really works great , fills all those "oops" and sands like they never happened.

April 7th, 2012, 7:43 pm #2

I haven't heard this one. Please explain in more detail. How much plastic do you put in half a bottle of thin cement? Does it create a substance you can keep bottled and use over time? Do you brush it on? You have me interested.

Thanks,
Darren

April 7th, 2012, 8:38 pm #3

....small little pieces of sprue and a half a bottle of Tamiya thin cement. Let it sit a day and you have the best sanding filler ever.

I am having to completely rescribe an Italeri 1/72 C-130J kit and didn't like any of the methods available to fix all those "oops it slipped" moments for various reasons. I finally tried mixing sprue and thin cement, having remembered reading about it a long time ago. It really works great , fills all those "oops" and sands like they never happened.

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

April 7th, 2012, 8:59 pm #4

Old is new again I guess. Been doing this for the last 40 years, long before I could afford or even thought of using putties etc. Still the best filler for resribing jobs.

April 7th, 2012, 9:04 pm #5

I haven't heard this one. Please explain in more detail. How much plastic do you put in half a bottle of thin cement? Does it create a substance you can keep bottled and use over time? Do you brush it on? You have me interested.

Thanks,
Darren
I wouldn't add it to the bottle since it will harden up fairly quickly, although you can just add more solvent to soften it up a bit. I usually make just what I need for a job by putting some solvent into a small jar and scrape some sprue shavings into it until I have the consistancy I want. Use a toothpick or putty knife to apply it, if you make it thin enough you can use a brush but it will be ruined.

April 7th, 2012, 9:25 pm #6

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index ... opic=33396

Rossky

April 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm #7

Old is new again I guess. Been doing this for the last 40 years, long before I could afford or even thought of using putties etc. Still the best filler for resribing jobs.
white Historex stuff from 40 years ago. By far the BEST plastic to dissolve in liquid glue.

There are some drawbacks to this approach though. It can dry slowly, and the high solvent content can melt the kit part. You want to apply it thinly and build it up in layers, for sure.

April 7th, 2012, 11:14 pm #8

I usually use it in such small quantities(not like that mess in that article mentioned) that I don't have a problem with it melting anything but if I were to fill a large recessed detail I'd layer it in thin layers and let the solvent evapourate before each or there could be problems, especialy on thin parts like wing trailing edges.
If I'm filling long panel lines I usually stick to stretched sprue, works exactly the same and is much less messy in application.

Usually keep Tamiya sprues around for melting, seems to work better than some other brands sprues. Evergreen works well too but if you use it a lot and have lots of tiny bits left over you can save it for this use.

April 8th, 2012, 12:34 am #9

I recall using this goop to add extra buttons to 54mm figures so I guess it could also be used for other small lumps 'n' bumps on aircraft kits.

April 8th, 2012, 1:23 am #10

many years ago. The problem is that stuff can take months, even years in extreme cases, to stop shrinking if you use it in any thickness at all.

Switched to superglue and never looked back.

If it is working for you, great! But be aware you may find shrinkage weeks or months later. Just a heads up.

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com