My first model kit, ever, car or otherwise.

My first model kit, ever, car or otherwise.

June 27th, 2018, 8:50 am #1

Lots of googlin' hasn't help one bit. Trying to re-live my very happy childhood!

Mid 1950s. California, not that that prob really matters. Prob purchased at the corner drug store a block away. Prob by my Dad. Kit of a late 40s or 50s Amer big-ish ragtop. I think it's Amer. Lurid orange plastic. THAT I remember clearly!  I'm thinking Revell from the classic box art style of the orange car pictured w/ driver and gal passenger that's imprinted into my memory. 24th or there abouts, but cudda been 32nd I guess. It WAS a 100 yrs ago! A DeSoto, Buick, Hudson? One of those multi part bodies that were the norm back then. Had a motor (NOT a curbside model), a V-8 made up of 8-10 pieces. I still have the motor somewhere in a box in the bsmt. I don't throw much out! Plastic tire halves. I think orange was the only plastic color in the box. Nothing chromed, blk. Maybe a clear windscreen??

Anyone have a hint or lead? I'd sure like to find a couple on eBay and build one!

June 27th, 2018, 9:19 pm #2

Sounds like the Revell Lincoln Continental Mark II, in 1/32nd which has an engine and a removable top to
display the interior. The actual car was not a convertible. It was re-released in 1995.

June 28th, 2018, 5:01 pm #3

Orange plastic (I remember it as being more of a burnt orange) and no chrome is the giveaway.  1956 Caddy Eldorado,  which was also released in yellow as a '55, this time with chrome.  The multi-piece body made the ultra-crude (but one-piece body) AMT/MPC kits of the day seem like magic.

Phil
Revell Caddy.jpg

June 29th, 2018, 2:25 pm #4

Jpn email pen pal sent the answer. 32nd Mercury Montclair. That's the kit I was trying to remember.

Recalled some things correctly, like the orange plastic, but looks like it does have some chromed parts, is not a rag top, two gals inside, etc. Wonder if there are clear parts?

At a C-note +, guess two won't happen anytime soon. Maybe not even one. Oh well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MIB-VTG-0 ... 7675.l2557

July 2nd, 2018, 2:42 pm #5

I built the orange colored '56 Cadillac Eldorado by Revell a few years ago that's is pictured here on the site . I recall that it was an easy kit to build. I bought a brand new 1951 "Hard-Top" Cadillac in 1952 for $3,100.00. then I got a '55 4-door Caddy, then in 1959, I bought a used 1958 4-door Caddy Eldorado for only 4 grand. I have several Cadillacs in my plastic model car collection.

Rodney.