My contribution so far....Hobby Boss F4F-3 (Early)

My contribution so far....Hobby Boss F4F-3 (Early)

October 25th, 2009, 3:24 am #1

I managed to get this done finally. Between trips to Palm Beach dealing with illness, I managed to get a little bit done each time.

This is Hobby Boss' 1:48 scale F4F-3 "Wildcat". I didn't take a whole bunch of pictures during construction, just a couple here and there. I did enjoy the kit which was started before this group build came online, but languished long enough on the work bench, I think, to make it eligible.

The kit comes packed as a 'Yellow Wing', complete with telescoping gun-sight through the windscreen. I wanted to do a war time -3, so I borrowed the windscreen from H/B's late version. The plane is Lt(jg) Wilmer E Rawie's F-14, which is the aircraft crecited with the first USN shoot down of an enemy plane, by a Fighting Six, off Enterprise. I made paper lap belts, cut from the kit's instruction sheet, using Rafe Morrisey's masking tape technique.

Other than the modifications I mentioned above, the rest of the kit is built O-O-B. Here are a few pictures. Thanks for looking and I'll apologize in advance for my photography issues...

Here are two shots after I got the fuselage together. These two pictures were taken inside a motel near Savannah Georgia, along I-95, last February.

These next shots were right before the finish top flat coat were going to applied...

And here is the finished product. I had taken the model to New Jersey for the IPMS region Two how and there were some GLARING errors with it. I stuck her out there anyway. After the show, I brought it home and put her back in the rack and fixed those screw ups. Did a little reworking of the antenna array, a little more flat coat and weathering, and her she is...

So many models, so little time...

October 25th, 2009, 12:56 pm #2

This is a very nicely done representation.

Clint

October 25th, 2009, 12:59 pm #3

I managed to get this done finally. Between trips to Palm Beach dealing with illness, I managed to get a little bit done each time.

This is Hobby Boss' 1:48 scale F4F-3 "Wildcat". I didn't take a whole bunch of pictures during construction, just a couple here and there. I did enjoy the kit which was started before this group build came online, but languished long enough on the work bench, I think, to make it eligible.

The kit comes packed as a 'Yellow Wing', complete with telescoping gun-sight through the windscreen. I wanted to do a war time -3, so I borrowed the windscreen from H/B's late version. The plane is Lt(jg) Wilmer E Rawie's F-14, which is the aircraft crecited with the first USN shoot down of an enemy plane, by a Fighting Six, off Enterprise. I made paper lap belts, cut from the kit's instruction sheet, using Rafe Morrisey's masking tape technique.

Other than the modifications I mentioned above, the rest of the kit is built O-O-B. Here are a few pictures. Thanks for looking and I'll apologize in advance for my photography issues...

Here are two shots after I got the fuselage together. These two pictures were taken inside a motel near Savannah Georgia, along I-95, last February.

These next shots were right before the finish top flat coat were going to applied...

And here is the finished product. I had taken the model to New Jersey for the IPMS region Two how and there were some GLARING errors with it. I stuck her out there anyway. After the show, I brought it home and put her back in the rack and fixed those screw ups. Did a little reworking of the antenna array, a little more flat coat and weathering, and her she is...

Ingenious paint "cradle" too.

October 26th, 2009, 3:13 am #4

I'm not familiar with the markings for that particular Wildcat but why are the older insignias with the red center circle over the smaller ones (that I would think be use later in the war) that are peaking out? Just curious. Again, nice work.

Cheers,
Dave

October 26th, 2009, 4:40 am #5

in the immediate period right after Pearl Harbor, there was, as you can understand, a huge jump in the number of friendly fire occurrences. This was blamed on the red dot, located in the center of our nation insignia. IIRC, in late January an order was issued, stating that all national insignia, on ALL aircraft be enlarged, to better enhance aircraft recognition. This order was to be carried out ASAP.

Some painters took a little more time to line everything up, and some didn't. Probably the first aircraft in the paint shop, got the crappy job, before some Lt. on the catwalk, looked down from the island and said WTF???

The friendly fire incidents actually got worse! The original problem with our national insignia, had been the red dot. Now, by making the insignia bigger, we also made the red dot bigger. Red is a strong color and can be seen a long way off. And again, at that time, any thing red was the enemy so, ....."Open Fire!!"

In May of 1942, they finally issued the order to return the national insignia to it's standard size, in six position format, minus the red center dot. The tail stripes were also painted over, so there would be NO red on US aircraft.

In 1943, for about a month and a half, they tried to re introduce the red onto the national insignia, by having a red border around the roundel and the two white bars to the sides. Again, friendly fire instances began to creep up, and red was abolished once again, until well after the war had ended.

Why they are off center, is just because the painters were rushing to get all the aircraft painted by the deadline, and didn't bother to be neat. There are plenty of pictures documenting these aircraft on Enterprise, AND.....with the five stripe tail too....

Hope that helped

Regards,
Freddie from LI

October 26th, 2009, 4:41 am #6

I'm not familiar with the markings for that particular Wildcat but why are the older insignias with the red center circle over the smaller ones (that I would think be use later in the war) that are peaking out? Just curious. Again, nice work.

Cheers,
Dave
The smaller insignia underneath was the standard when the war started. After yet another hot reception from the Enterprise AA gunners early in 1942, all squadrons on board went nuts and painted the insignia as large as they could possibly be (normally wing insignia doesn't cover the aileron). Hence what you see here. The old insignia peeked out from under the new SBD insignia too, but I never saw it on TBDs.

I think Superscale did a decal sheet of this some time ago.

Ken

October 26th, 2009, 8:25 am #7

Cheers,
Dave
Dave,

If you can find a copy of The First Team with its dustcover intact, you'll see a number of F4F-3's on the forward part of the Big E's flight deck displaying this particular anomaly. I don't remember the decal maker who did the "First Team", but they made decals for 3 F4F-3's/3A's. Ens Wilmer Rawie was the first Naval Aviator to shoot down a Japanese aircraft (a VERY big deal for the Navy). I believe it was a "Claude" just taking off from an island airfield when Rawie and his wing-man shot it down.

While it's confusing, I believe the a/c Rawie was flying off Enterprise was in fact a Grumman F4F-3A, hence, no "cheek ducts" in the cowling and the magnetos where located at the backside of the power-plant.

Cheers!

Rob

October 26th, 2009, 12:33 pm #8

I was thinking. Perhaps the ones underneath may have been smaller early insignias.. I still don't see why guys would ignore that HUGE WHITE STAR and only see the red meatball.... Oh well. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,
Dave

October 27th, 2009, 5:22 pm #9

build I would think it would make the aircraft look more like enemy planes with that big ole red dot!! Nice build, and different scheme!

Brandon

November 1st, 2009, 6:13 pm #10

nm