more Yamato maddness

more Yamato maddness

January 17th, 2012, 7:52 am #1

My parallel build of the New Yamato is coming along, on the one hand simpler and on the other much more complicated than Bruno's build.

As I'm doing her in her 1941 configuration, the piles of additional flak guns won't be used at all and most of the real modifications are things to be removed.
There are some real changes too, especially on the tower with several wings added and removed. I'm also adding as much railings and other fussy bits to it as possible. mostly in the form of generic IJN railings modified for the various elements.

And a close-up of the back of the tower with the modified ladders, railings, and platforms.

And though I'm not at all keen on the Tamiya aftermarket rigging set, I do want to do something more substaintial than the regular photo-etch for some of the railings, so I'm using hard steel wire (fine gitar string)and very fine monfiliment line for the around the hull railings.

January 17th, 2012, 12:37 pm #2

It looks like you are doing an excellent job back dating the kit! I like your railings too, but there is no way in the world I have enough time to use the Detail-Up parts. I've decided I might just try them at some point because they look "interesting". Just, sadly, not on this build.

Judging from all the parts and spare parts in the box I would think that an early Yamato would be a matter of removing or shifting things and leaving off a LOT of AAA. I'm sure a new molding of the bridge tower would make life easier for you, but it looks like you have it figured out. I've noticed a lot of detail already molded on is covered by the upgrades to the 1945 fit, so Tamiya was going for a 3-in-1 kit from the beginning. It only makes sense. The molds cost a fortune to cut. It just makes economic sense to get as much use as you can from them.

Are you going to drill out the plugged portholes? If so you are definitely going a lot further than I would or could. Good luck with your build and you will have the ONLY early Yamato out there when you are done. I don't imagine Tamiya will release theirs for six months or a year. Once the sales of the late version start to slide they will offer up the next version I'm sure. I've enjoyed this build enough that I might actually buy my own kit of the early Yamato.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

January 17th, 2012, 3:28 pm #3

I'll bet that the next release would be of the Musashi rather than other version of the Yamato and that they may not likely do the early form. As it is, the kit can be built without significant modification to reflect the Yamato's other combat configurations.
I've already drilled out the hull port holes (such "fun") and all the railings need to be drilled as well. Much to my relief, the method of railing is going just like I planned. The stanchion holes are rather deep so I don't need to precisely cut the individual uprights. I only need to have a section's first and last post of the correct height, run the top line tight between them, and glue the subsequent bits to the line. Those posts can then "float" until I'm sure everything is straight and only then glue them down.
Last edited by stevegallacci on January 17th, 2012, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2012, 5:18 pm #4

My parallel build of the New Yamato is coming along, on the one hand simpler and on the other much more complicated than Bruno's build.

As I'm doing her in her 1941 configuration, the piles of additional flak guns won't be used at all and most of the real modifications are things to be removed.
There are some real changes too, especially on the tower with several wings added and removed. I'm also adding as much railings and other fussy bits to it as possible. mostly in the form of generic IJN railings modified for the various elements.

And a close-up of the back of the tower with the modified ladders, railings, and platforms.

And though I'm not at all keen on the Tamiya aftermarket rigging set, I do want to do something more substaintial than the regular photo-etch for some of the railings, so I'm using hard steel wire (fine gitar string)and very fine monfiliment line for the around the hull railings.
Steve,
Looks great so far. You said you're not that happy with the Tamiya railing "system", but is that what we're seeing in these pictures (the posts at least)? I can't quite tell. I have just about every aftermarket PE set for the old Tamiya Yamato, and figure I'll pick and choose what I want on the new model. I did pick up the Tamiya railing system, and might use it on some curved superstructure requirements.
In your last picture, is that a shim of plastic strip between the aft aircraft deck and the wood deck? If so, it looks like the gap on my ship. I really like your wood deck effect.
By the way, are you planning to drill out some portholes, paint them or let them come out as painted?
Keep up the pictures.
Steve J

January 17th, 2012, 5:18 pm #5

Steve,
Looks great so far. You said you're not that happy with the Tamiya railing "system", but is that what we're seeing in these pictures (the posts at least)? I can't quite tell. I have just about every aftermarket PE set for the old Tamiya Yamato, and figure I'll pick and choose what I want on the new model. I did pick up the Tamiya railing system, and might use it on some curved superstructure requirements.
In your last picture, is that a shim of plastic strip between the aft aircraft deck and the wood deck? If so, it looks like the gap on my ship. I really like your wood deck effect.
By the way, are you planning to drill out some portholes, paint them or let them come out as painted?
Keep up the pictures.
Steve J

January 17th, 2012, 5:35 pm #6

Steve,
Keep up the pictures.
Steve J
The Tamiya photo-etch railing stanchions seemed a bit chunky for my taste, being flat sections with loops for threading the wire through. I'm using VERY fine monofiliment along with the thinnest hard steel wire I could find and the effect is much more delicate looking.
Yes, I had to shim the rear deck, but did so by shaving off the breakwater, adding the shim, then scratching a new breakwater over the shim area to tidy up the joint.
With the right amount of care, the main deck side sections can be joined to the middle with just about no visible joint, but it takes particular care to do so. I didn't, so needed to do some sanding, which rubbed out some of the deck detail. So, after laying on a base coat of Italian battleship teak from the Life Color set, I very lightly drew a knife over both the surviving plank detail as well as the missing areas to blend in the areas. Then gave the whole deck washes of artist's acrylic to both punch up the planking and create some differentiation in the various planks. As the colors gave a somewhat reddish (I guess it was reddish, I'm red/green color blind, so this can get get tricky) cast to everything, I then did a mist coat of more Italian teak to tone it all down and even out any excesses. Really like the effect.

January 17th, 2012, 6:10 pm #7

Any chance of a few pics of how you it? Your railings do look very 'to scale'.

Cheers
Paul

January 17th, 2012, 7:51 pm #8

Especially on rough pavement outside with snow around. The bow is pretty well wreaked. the deck has split away and the hull has cracked at the anchor holes. The bow leads and Imperial Crest are gone, lost in the snow, as are some of the photo-etch, and the starboard strake is pretty chewed up.
It is all fixable, thanks to the kit sample which will provide some but not all the replacements (it has also been a Ghodsend for all the stuff lost to the carpet monster, as well as the conversion) but it is, needless to say, an unwelcome delay to the build.

January 17th, 2012, 8:29 pm #9

It looks like you are doing an excellent job back dating the kit! I like your railings too, but there is no way in the world I have enough time to use the Detail-Up parts. I've decided I might just try them at some point because they look "interesting". Just, sadly, not on this build.

Judging from all the parts and spare parts in the box I would think that an early Yamato would be a matter of removing or shifting things and leaving off a LOT of AAA. I'm sure a new molding of the bridge tower would make life easier for you, but it looks like you have it figured out. I've noticed a lot of detail already molded on is covered by the upgrades to the 1945 fit, so Tamiya was going for a 3-in-1 kit from the beginning. It only makes sense. The molds cost a fortune to cut. It just makes economic sense to get as much use as you can from them.

Are you going to drill out the plugged portholes? If so you are definitely going a lot further than I would or could. Good luck with your build and you will have the ONLY early Yamato out there when you are done. I don't imagine Tamiya will release theirs for six months or a year. Once the sales of the late version start to slide they will offer up the next version I'm sure. I've enjoyed this build enough that I might actually buy my own kit of the early Yamato.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.
are inspirational and convinced me to fork over the bucks for one of them (along with a Mogami and Mikuma). The problem is that I have the older Tamiya offering already in the stash still untouched so I having been toying with the idea of completing the older kit as Musashi, but I don't know enough about the differences between the two ships to dig in right away. Obviously the newer kit will be completed as Yamato, but what kind of modifications would be required to finish the older kit as Musashi?

TIA for any input and great work by both of you on your respective builds

January 17th, 2012, 8:43 pm #10

It would just mean a somewhat different arrangement of flak guns. However, the old kit IS very different than the newer one, even in some of the basic sizes and shapes and it would not compare well with the new kit side-by-side.