More MiG 15 UTI and P-38M

More MiG 15 UTI and P-38M

September 3rd, 2011, 3:59 am #1

First the MiG. The canopy is about 1mm too wide and doesn't follow the contours of the cockpit opening very well. In the past, I've been pretty phobic about messing with clear parts, but I take great inspiration from William De Coster, who has the magical ability to slather canopies with great gobs of putty and make them come out looking beautiful. So, I mixed up my favorite brew of Tamiya gray putty thinned with lacquer thinner:

and had at it with gay abandon:

I like using very thin putty since I can paint it on with a brush in thin layers, letting it set up between layers. The results are better than I deserve, but there were still some bad spots:

I went over it again first with Liquid Paper (a.k.a. White Out), and then painted on some Mr. Surfacer 500. I think I'm getting close. A bit more sanding and it should be ready for some primer:

The P-38M Night Lightning is moving along slowly too. I've got most of the parts on now, and am still futzing with the canopy:

This is kind of a love-hate kit. The detail is pretty nice for 1/72, and for some reason it's a very likeable kit, but the fit and engineering can be trying. To point out yet another area, the lower wing panels leave large gaps:

But, I figure this will be on the bottom of a black model, and I don't really enjoy puttying and sanding as much as it may seem, so I have yet to decide how much to obsess over this.

Stuart

September 3rd, 2011, 10:49 am #2

Good trick to thin the putty with lacquer thinner - certainly in such a difficult area - and masking the canopy with tape whilde working on this is something I apparently still have to learn

I tought about sanding the canopy flush with the fuselage, but I didn't want to loose the fine framework on the canopy - yours seems to be very clear now - did you use Future on it - or polished it ?

Too bad about the P-38 underwing gaps - I think I would invent some quick fix, maybe apply filler in it and brush away the excess with some lacquer thinner, it's not a smooth result, but I think it can do for the underwings

Great fun Stuart - looking forward to your paintwork on 2 (two!) silver birds

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part IV
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

September 3rd, 2011, 2:21 pm #3

First the MiG. The canopy is about 1mm too wide and doesn't follow the contours of the cockpit opening very well. In the past, I've been pretty phobic about messing with clear parts, but I take great inspiration from William De Coster, who has the magical ability to slather canopies with great gobs of putty and make them come out looking beautiful. So, I mixed up my favorite brew of Tamiya gray putty thinned with lacquer thinner:

and had at it with gay abandon:

I like using very thin putty since I can paint it on with a brush in thin layers, letting it set up between layers. The results are better than I deserve, but there were still some bad spots:

I went over it again first with Liquid Paper (a.k.a. White Out), and then painted on some Mr. Surfacer 500. I think I'm getting close. A bit more sanding and it should be ready for some primer:

The P-38M Night Lightning is moving along slowly too. I've got most of the parts on now, and am still futzing with the canopy:

This is kind of a love-hate kit. The detail is pretty nice for 1/72, and for some reason it's a very likeable kit, but the fit and engineering can be trying. To point out yet another area, the lower wing panels leave large gaps:

But, I figure this will be on the bottom of a black model, and I don't really enjoy puttying and sanding as much as it may seem, so I have yet to decide how much to obsess over this.

Stuart
I got in another work session this evening. My puttying developed acne:

I suspect using White Out was the culprit, plus the fact that I didn't let it cure overnight. So, I applied some CA gel, re-sanded, and then another coat of Mr. Surfacer 500:

It looks okay now; we'll see what it's like tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will just need a little more sanding. Man, I gotta hurry to catch up with William!

On the Lightning, I decided to quit being such a baby and fill the underwing gaps. I used 0.1mm x 0.2mm Evergreen strip and Tamiya Extra-Thin cement:

Works like a charm.

Stuart

September 3rd, 2011, 2:30 pm #4

Good trick to thin the putty with lacquer thinner - certainly in such a difficult area - and masking the canopy with tape whilde working on this is something I apparently still have to learn

I tought about sanding the canopy flush with the fuselage, but I didn't want to loose the fine framework on the canopy - yours seems to be very clear now - did you use Future on it - or polished it ?

Too bad about the P-38 underwing gaps - I think I would invent some quick fix, maybe apply filler in it and brush away the excess with some lacquer thinner, it's not a smooth result, but I think it can do for the underwings

Great fun Stuart - looking forward to your paintwork on 2 (two!) silver birds

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III

The thin putty usually works well, but see my post just below. It was probably stupid to toss correction fluid into the equation.

Regarding the canopy, my first inclination also was to sand it down rather than build up the fuselage. But the canopy was kind of thin-walled to begin with, and after cracking my P-38 canopy I'm a bit gun-shy. And like you say, it has some nice detail that would be a shame to loose.

What I did was Future it as usual. Then after all the puttying and sanding around it, I managed to scuff it a bit despite the tape. So I did the old 3200-12000 grit plus toothpaste polishing routine on it. Lost some detail, but not to badly.

I really want to do a gray Chinese machine, but I don't have decals for one so I'm doing a NMF Vietnamese one instead. All this putty is probably not the best base for NMF!

Stuart

September 3rd, 2011, 6:48 pm #5

I suspect using White Out was the culprit, plus the fact that I didn't let it cure overnight. So, I applied some CA gel, re-sanded, and then another coat of Mr. Surfacer 500:

It looks okay now; we'll see what it's like tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will just need a little more sanding. Man, I gotta hurry to catch up with William!

On the Lightning, I decided to quit being such a baby and fill the underwing gaps. I used 0.1mm x 0.2mm Evergreen strip and Tamiya Extra-Thin cement:

Works like a charm.

Stuart
Great work on these! n/t

September 3rd, 2011, 10:44 pm #6

Works like a charm.

Stuart
I have my GF coming over tomorrow morning and I won't see my bench until Wednesday evening

Nice work with the evergreen strips - simple clean solution and it looks great !

* <i></i> * *

September 4th, 2011, 12:22 am #7

...you don't have a spare MiG for her to work on while you finish yours?!

Stuart

September 4th, 2011, 4:11 am #8

Works like a charm.

Stuart
That canopy will be awesome. I have to try that fix. Let us know how restoring the clear part goes! Both you and Massimo seem to have that under control

Speaking of which...where is the Italian Modeler Extraordinaire?

Cheers.

September 4th, 2011, 1:15 pm #9

Works like a charm.

Stuart
I was going to recommend Milliput for the seams on the P-38. What I like about Milliput is that the excess is simply removed with water - never damaging the detail in the problem area. Slick trick with the canopy .

Cheers, vic

September 4th, 2011, 1:16 pm #10

That canopy will be awesome. I have to try that fix. Let us know how restoring the clear part goes! Both you and Massimo seem to have that under control

Speaking of which...where is the Italian Modeler Extraordinaire?

Cheers.
The European (well continental anyway) August holidays should be over...

Back to the bench Massimo!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Vic