Monogram kit opinions

Monogram kit opinions

May 23rd, 2012, 7:25 pm #1

Good folks;

This may seem an odd question at the moment but I'll ask it anyways. I'm looking for opinions what you think is the best "classic" Monogram 1/48th scale (single engine) aircraft kit that is still being produced and sold under the Revell or Revell of Germany label. (Or any other label for that fact.)

Scale accuracy is not my biggest concern, but more along the lines of build-ability.

Thanks in advance for you comments. I should mention there is no wrong answer to this question.

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!" -RJ Mitchell

May 23rd, 2012, 7:26 pm #2

n/m

May 23rd, 2012, 7:31 pm #3

Good folks;

This may seem an odd question at the moment but I'll ask it anyways. I'm looking for opinions what you think is the best "classic" Monogram 1/48th scale (single engine) aircraft kit that is still being produced and sold under the Revell or Revell of Germany label. (Or any other label for that fact.)

Scale accuracy is not my biggest concern, but more along the lines of build-ability.

Thanks in advance for you comments. I should mention there is no wrong answer to this question.

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
P-51B n/t

May 23rd, 2012, 7:52 pm #4

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
P-39, Spitfire Mk.II or their Bf 109G-10 n/t

May 23rd, 2012, 7:53 pm #5

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
... I found the re-issued P-47D to be very nice, with no real fit problems. It was about as "shake and bake" a kit as I've found with Monogram.

The re-issued King fisher was fun, but it did take a bit more work and was not as well fitting. The P-51B was also nice, though it had a few fit issues that I encountered. The P-40B needed a bit of work at the wing roots and undersides. The AT-6 was great, no issues at all. The Me-262 was another "fall together" kit, for the most part. The Typhoon presented no problems. The Dauntless needed some minor work, but nothing to severe. The Spitfire Mk. II went together well, though it needed a little work at the join of the wing and fuselage underside.

Of all of them, if I had to recommend one, it would definitely be the P-47D that was recently reissued.

Of course, I had no major complaints about any of the kits listed above, really.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Last edited by jonbius on May 23rd, 2012, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 23rd, 2012, 7:55 pm #6

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
and for fun the SBD, Avenger and folding wing Corsair. My daughters first model was the Corsair. I love the SBD-3 3/4.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

May 23rd, 2012, 8:04 pm #7

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
Either kit is very build-able and generally accurate. Also look at the AT-6/SNJ.

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

May 23rd, 2012, 8:10 pm #8

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
Saluti

Giampiero

May 23rd, 2012, 8:13 pm #9

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
Nicely detailed kit that goes together with no problems (at least I didn't have any problems). The long, stalky main gear are a little wobbly but they held up well on my build.

May 23rd, 2012, 8:29 pm #10

Good folks;

Dave

--
David Wrinkle -
The F-84E and G Thunderjet kits from the mid 90s are some of Revell/Monogram's best work. The Ju 52 maybe their pinnacle, but you asked for single engine only.

From the earlier era kits, I would give the nod to the P-39. The F-4C/D kit is great, but alas, two engines.

Lee K